Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Harry

After nine deaths, Atlantic Ave. becoming one of the city's most dangerous streets

Call it the Avenue of Death.

Brooklyn's Atlantic Ave. is becoming one of city's most dangerous streets for pedestrians, a new study found.

From 2006 to 2008, nine pedestrians were killed along the stretch of Atlantic Ave. from Cypress Hills to Downtown Brooklyn, making it one of the two deadliest strips in the city, a new study by the Tri-State Transportation Campaign showed.

That gave Atlantic Ave. nearly twice as many fatalities as Queens Blvd., which has become far safer since its frequent pedestrian deaths got it dubbed the "Boulevard of Death" at the start of the last decade.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brooklyn/2010/01/10/2010-01-10_steps_from_danger_atlantic_ave_stats_horrify_pedestrians.html

post-1-133288581569_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581569_thumb.jpg

Traffic is far worse at the terminal. Cars that turn cut off pedestrians, and pedestrians really don't get enough time to cross the street anyway.

Isn't Atlantic Avenue a Highway, or Parkway where we can do 50-60mph at, long as we time the lights properly?????

Atlantic ave has always been a dangerous ave for pedestrians and cars. Im 39 years old and even though its a city street people have always drove on Atlantic ave like it was a highway even worse.

I hate driving, especially a big truck on atlantic ave. its tight, bumpy and too many unsafe lane changes from disrespectful motorist.

Way to have a photo of the two-lane area instead of the six. At first I was like "What, people are getting hit by the viaduct!? They need to learn how to cross the street." Then I thought, "Oh, I know now..."