MTA Orders 126 MCI Commuter Coaches

TransitGuy

Photo Rendering:

010208.jpg

NY Metropolitan Transit Authority Orders 126 Clean-Diesel Commuter Coaches From MCI

— New coaches feature new low-emission engines, revised design and technologies —

SCHAUMBURG, IL — January 2, 2008 — Motor Coach Industries has announced that the Metropolitan Transit Authority of New York has granted approval for the purchase of 126 clean-diesel commuter coaches from Motor Coach Industries. This purchase will increase the MTA's fleet of MCI commuter coaches to more than 1,200.

The MTA operates MCI's high-capacity, high-amenity commuter coaches on its MTA New York City Transit and MTA Bus Company fleets, providing express-service commuter routes from the outer boroughs to Manhattan. The new coaches, equipped with a CAT C-13 engine and Allison transmission powertrain, are the agency's first to feature the new engine technology mandated by the EPA in 2007. Previously, the MTA took the lead in reducing exhaust emissions by outfitting its commuter coaches with a catalyzed diesel particulate filter, and using Ultra Low Sulfur diesel fuel. Today's new engine technology combines a regeneration pollution control system with the diesel particulate filter (DPF) to reduce particulate matter by 90 percent.

The MTA's new commuter coaches will also feature several technical upgrades including MCI's redesigned front-end cap for a more modern look, all wheel disc brakes and an ultra-capacitor starting system for enhanced performance. These will also be the first MCI commuter models to feature LED interior cabin lighting for longer-life.

Additionally, the new coaches are wheelchair lift-equipped, and feature amenities commuters have come to expect from MCI, such as 57-forward facing, reclining seats; overhead LED reading lights and airflow controls; and parcel racks. MCI expects to begin delivering the new coaches in mid-2008.

Michael Melaniphy, MCI's vice president, public sector said: "We're pleased that the MTA has once again selected MCI commuter coaches for it express routes. Commuters enjoy our smooth riding model because they sit in reclining seats high above traffic, comfortably working, reading, or resting when commuting to and from Manhattan." MCI's commuter coach is based on the dependable MCI D-Series model, the most popular intercity coach in the U.S.

All together the MTA, under its subsidiaries MTA New York City Transit, MTA Bus Company, and MTA Long Island Bus, operates 75 express routes and 290 local routes serving about 3.1 million riders daily.

Celebrating its 75th anniversary, Motor Coach Industries, headquartered in Schaumburg, Illinois, is the largest manufacturer of intercity tour coaches for the tour, charter, line-haul, scheduled service, commuter transit and conversion markets in the U.S. and Canada. The company also operates seven sales centers and nine MCI Fleet Support service centers in the U.S. and Canada; and is the industry's leading supplier of aftermarket parts for most makes and models.

Please Discuss. What are your feeling towards this move?

I would of preferred this, if they could of got them for the same price: Formerly known as the Le Mirage, now known as the X3-45: Actually a little shorter than the D4505 in height, and just like Prevost, MCI is actually Canadian.

2007X3451_1l.jpg2007X3452_1l.jpg2007X3453_1l.jpg2007X3454_1l.jpg2007X3455_1l.jpg

I wish I got to drive one of these during my OTR coach driving years. I heard from Academy and Saddle River drivers, these are far superior to the H3-45.

How will the fronts of these new buses be different from NJT?

I've seen a lot of the 7100 series on the 167 through Teaneck

Paul

(NJT)

These new buses will be identical to the new D4505s that Coach USA, DeCamp and others have. J model looking front, with new a$$.

How will the fronts of these new buses be different from NJT?

I've seen a lot of the 7100 series on the 167 through Teaneck

Paul

(NJT)

It would be a CL front like this.

http://www.ttmg.org/photos/tlogan/Shortline_MCI_70423.jpg

Now, the thing with NJT not getting new MCIs with the CL front is because of the deal they had since NJT was talking about ordering more MCIs right before MCI introduced the new back and NJT wanted to keep the fronts uniformed. NJT won't have a choice next time.

Well I'm gonna assume that there will be stainless steel on the lower portion. I can see them keeping the white back on the bus. In this case, I don't really mind (but the RTS is another story). I hear the new rear design is also more functional in that mechanics can access the engine better and it seems ventilation seems to be better.

Archived