Wave of Volvo 9700s Kickin' Up

Great pics Pablo. Looks like Mercedes has competition now. Wonder if Academy will get some Volvo's, to be part of the "Luxury Fleet", with their Mercedes Setra Buses........

Those 9700's look like a Hybrid of the Van-Hool T945, Mercedes Setra Bus, and Van-Hool T-2145.......

Great pics Pablo. Looks like Mercedes has competition now. Wonder if Academy will get some Volvo's, to be part of the "Luxury Fleet", with their Mercedes Setra Buses........

Those 9700's look like a Hybrid of the Van-Hool T945, Mercedes Setra Bus, and Van-Hool T-2145.......

Ha! Thats what I was just talking about with a friend of mine who works at Academy. He would not be surprised if a demo shows up at Hoboken anytime soon. You can definately kiss them MCI DL3s goodbye cause they're in the process of retiring them now.

OMG Pablo damn kid ,What is it you say ...(D)one yo I'm (D)one

(V)ol(V)o has been Redeemed in my view ...ooooo I'll buy that for (A) (D)olla

Where are these bad boys gonna be showing off thier (S)weet chrome at??

(F)antastic ©atch oooooo In my head I'm like O wow A new (T)oy ....Can I play .(K)<R>

Ha! Thats what I was just talking about with a friend of mine who works at Academy. He would not be surprised if a demo shows up at Hoboken anytime soon. You can definately kiss them MCI DL3s goodbye cause they're in the process of retiring them now.

Those painted DL3's at Academy (company owned ones), I heard they were used buses, that came from DC or something to that Nature. I know Academy likes to keep new stuff. Also since they bought out Premier of the Bronx, and Campus, they must have just about all the Pro team contracts here now. They always want those Setra Buses, and now they will want these too........

As for those Volvos, I do hope they will put more signal lights on the side of that 45ft coach. I have yet to drive a Prevost, (been in one when Harran was in business), a Setra (been in an Academy one, when they brought the opposing team in), and now I really want to drive that Volvo.........

Those painted DL3's at Academy (company owned ones), I heard they were used buses, that came from DC or something to that Nature. I know Academy likes to keep new stuff. Also since they bought out Premier of the Bronx, and Campus, they must have just about all the Pro team contracts here now. They always want those Setra Buses, and now they will want these too........

As for those Volvos, I do hope they will put more signal lights on the side of that 45ft coach. I have yet to drive a Prevost, (been in one when Harran was in business), a Setra (been in an Academy one, when they brought the opposing team in), and now I really want to drive that Volvo.........

In terms of Academy's DL3's they are a mixed bunch - about a quarter of them (1800-1820) were company owned by Franmar Logistics, the Tedesco's holding company from the late 90s. In the early 2000s, they made the decision to sell off and/or retire most of their D3's, opting for greater capacity in the DL - they then purchased second-hand equipment from many locations, including DC. Their DL fleet ranges from the 1998 model to around 2004 (buses 1870-1879).

Even though it is probable that they will demo the Volvo, I do not see them making a full on committment to them any time soon for the reason that they are already joined to the hip with Daimler. From the purchase of the Setras to the subleasing of the Secaucus body shop for maintenance and the purchase of the Mercedes Minis, they are in deep with them. I would think that before they would go to the Volvo that they would opt for more S417s. Also, they have made a committment to Temsa for mid-haul vehicles.

In addition, they have a whole fleet of J4500s that will in time serve the purpose the DL's have currently - 90 to be exact - with most in the Academy scheme and some in the Campus wrap. As much as Academy loves to flaunt new equipment for its valued contracts, Mark Tedesco also likes buying equipment second hand and rebuilding it in Secaucus.

I can't give a fair opinion of those Volvo's, having not driven or ridden in them yet, but when you compare them directly with a Prevost H3-45, they seem kind of low-budget. Sort of like those MCI G models. As far as appearance, anyway.

Volvo's way of getting the MCI customers away from the G models since Prevosts are generally higher in price

Archived