MTA is going to okay $100M transit worker pay hikes, but will appeal increases year 3

CPBO

thats BS. he has union representation probation or not. if they take dues they have to represent you. if they refuse then you can sue the union for theft of service. end of story.

It doesn't work like that. That is why it is called probation. Sue the union for theft of service? lol. Pay a lot of money in lawyers fees and still be unemployed.

Probation:A period of time when a person occupies a position only conditionally and may easily be removed for poor performance.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thats BS. he has union representation probation or not. if they take dues they have to represent you. if they refuse then you can sue the union for theft of service. end of story.

Not really i know of T/O's for bad operational records while on probation was asked to "resign"..

You on probation that can and has happen....

Really? you think so? try getting into trouble your first year and see what happens. You are basically buying your way into the union that first year on the job. They even tell you this once hired that you will get no representation from them until after probation. This is why during the 2005 strike all probationary employees had to show up to work. If they didn't they would have been fired and the union would not have even put up a fight for them at all.

I'll second what Will said: DO NOT WORK OVERTIME WHILE ON PROBATION!

In regards to shift, I believe that midnights are the hardest shift for a T/O to work, which is the exact opposite for other titles such as Station Agent, Cleaner and Conductor where it is the easiest. Reason being that signal maintainers and track gangs are plentiful on nights and cause the biggest challenge for a T/O, especially when drowsiness sets in. I believe that AM's and PM's are the easier shifts for a T/O in that you only have to worry about red signals and the occasional signal maintainer.

Good luck on your Access-a-Ride appointment. That's excellent training to become a Bus Operator.

Ok I got you, I never thought of it that way:tup:.

If you turn down OT while on probation would they hold that against you? Is OT mandatory or optional working for the MTA? thanks

In RTO you put in paperwork to work on your day off thats overtime.

Overtime can be one of these things as well..

Extra trip..

A Lay Up due to a shortage of manpower....

You getting turned back from the terminal you just left on your last half on your last trip due to road conditions.

Does the "don't work OT during probation" also apply to Forced OT or just voluntary? What I mean is it might seem like a silly question, but if you're a probie do they have the authority to force you to do OT?

You will be forced to work ALOT of overtime while on probation and for your entire career unless you pick a 5 day a week set job.

Really? you think so? try getting into trouble your first year and see what happens. You are basically buying your way into the union that first year on the job. They even tell you this once hired that you will get no representation from them until after probation. This is why during the 2005 strike all probationary employees had to show up to work. If they didn't they would have been fired and the union would not have even put up a fight for them at all.

BS

I got in trouble and Union stood by me. You get representation from day 1

Does the "don't work OT during probation" also apply to Forced OT or just voluntary? What I mean is it might seem like a silly question, but if you're a probie do they have the authority to force you to do OT?

They can't tell anyone who is done with their tour, to do an extra trip. They can only ask, but try to scare newbies, making them think they have to. If you have WAA, and they tell you, you will be making an extra trip, you must, as it is WAA (Work As Assigned). When you are extra extra, if you report on board at 1400hrs, and suppose to clear at 2200hrs at 242st, if you pick up a job, you work that job on whatever line in that division. For example, if it is a job on the (2) that starts at 1630, and ends at 0030, you will get overtime, even though we call it board time. Same to me, as it is time and a half on the board time. You get board time from 1400-1630, which is 2hrs 30min + 1hr 15minutes as a bonus (that is the time and 1/2). If the job on the (2) pays 8hrs, you get that also. If travel/deadhead time from 242st to 241st is 60min, you get 60min + 30min bonus (30min is time and 1/2). So that is 2hrs 30min + 1hr 15min + 8hrs + 60min + 30min. Your could be 8hrs day, is now a paid 13hrs 15min day.........

They can't force you to work a RDO (Regular Day Off) either. Probie RX (aka extra-extra) T/Os must have 12hrs off between shifts. Extra List and RX (extra extra) non probies 10hrs off. Those with picked jobs, must have 8hrs off.........

BS

I got in trouble and Union stood by me. You get representation from day 1

Actually it depends on the depot and your union peeps. The union stands by you, cause they want you to keep your job, so they can get their dues. The fact is (it is not an opinion), is the management can can you if they want, and there is nothing TWU can do for you, while you are on probation. They can always continue to fight for you at their own discretion, especially if they do see you were wrongly fired........

No!! were talking about voluntary OT. Like calling in to work one of your rdo's and doing doubles. Jut come into work and do your scheduled work hours and that's it. And as far as forced OT I don't work in rto and know how it works there but in stations there is no such thing as forced OT. When you pick they as if you want to work OT and can check yes or no. If you get stuck in a booth with out a relief obviously you have to stay until some one gets you out. That is the only forced OT in stations dept. Like I said rto may be different and other titles have forced OT ,like CTA's having to come into work on RDO's if it's a snow emergency of six inches or more

So they basically had to cross the picket line? Wouldn't this be disastrous as far as those employees are concerned with the Union? I understand that they can be canned by management, but how is that explained to co-workers and Union Reps who see them reporting?

So they basically had to cross the picket line? Wouldn't this be disastrous as far as those employees are concerned with the Union? I understand that they can be canned by management, but how is that explained to co-workers and Union Reps who see them reporting?

THAT alone is diffcult to say that Strike broke a few crew rooms and damaged quite a few freindships..

You will be forced to work ALOT of overtime while on probation and for your entire career unless you pick a 5 day a week set job.

Ah OK. Knew I'd be getting forced O/T eventually anyway when I go in, just wasn't sure how it worked before passing probation. Thanks for the info.

They can't tell anyone who is done with their tour, to do an extra trip. They can only ask, but try to scare newbies, making them think they have to. If you have WAA, and they tell you, you will be making an extra trip, you must, as it is WAA (Work As Assigned). When you are extra extra, if you report on board at 1400hrs, and suppose to clear at 2200hrs at 242st, if you pick up a job, you work that job on whatever line in that division. For example, if it is a job on the (2) that starts at 1630, and ends at 0030, you will get overtime, even though we call it board time. Same to me, as it is time and a half on the board time. You get board time from 1400-1630, which is 2hrs 30min + 1hr 15minutes as a bonus (that is the time and 1/2). If the job on the (2) pays 8hrs, you get that also. If travel/deadhead time from 242st to 241st is 60min, you get 60min + 30min bonus (30min is time and 1/2). So that is 2hrs 30min + 1hr 15min + 8hrs + 60min + 30min. Your could be 8hrs day, is now a paid 13hrs 15min day.........

They can't force you to work a RDO (Regular Day Off) either. Probie RX (aka extra-extra) T/Os must have 12hrs off between shifts. Extra List and RX (extra extra) non probies 10hrs off. Those with picked jobs, must have 8hrs off.........

Thanks for the info. As far as sitting around on the board, suppose I'd been sitting 7 1/2 hours, then at 2130 I pick up a money job with built in O/T (we'll say a Senior T/O who picked that job has called out) which works 8 hours 51 minutes and pays 9 hrs. Will I get assigned that job despite it putting me over 16 hrs since the first 7 1/2 hours was spent sitting on the board?

Wasn't sure how the 16 hour rule applied either since there were guys here saying they've worked more than 16 hours on occasion in the past (maybe during the blackout? I don't remember...)

Well It was a rough time for those employees. But they had to consider what was best for them. They just got a new career opportunity and most likely had families to support. So being canned was not an option for them. And everyone else who was not on probation would get their jobs back once the strike was over, the probies on the other hand would not have gotten their jobs back.

Quite the opposite scenario. If these service cuts go through expect layoffs in the B/O dept. I don't see the 8006 list starting until next year.

Jay Walder said on a recent radio morning show that he expects the MTA workforce to be smaller then what it is today.

Perhaps your right Loco...I've should of tried to get in with the city 10 or 11 years back instead of being in the mess that I'm in now...I’ve should of listen to my brother when the opportunities were there at the time. I called yesterday for FDNY EMS for information on becoming an EMT, and they told me that there’s a waiting list for about a year. I gave them my info, but at the same time still looking around for something better until that time ever comes.

Got a question pertaining to OT.

Sunday night I was working on the "G Shuttle". I was suppose to leave Jay st and head back to the depot at 2:05am. The time I was suppose to clear was like 3:44am (approx) .. I got to Jay st @ 2am and advised the dispatcher of my schedule. He asked if I wanted to make one more trip, then dead head back to the depot b/c there were no buses when i got there and people waiting. I said sure.

I did the extra trip, and still made it back to my depot like 5 minutes after my original clear time.

Is that considered OT? Was I suppose to get a slip for that? I wasnt sure/didnt think so b/c I got back the time I was suppose. I mean, I first when he asked me I assumed it was OT b/c I would get back later. But that trip was very light and I was taking it easy too.

If I gotta suck it up as a loss now, no big deal.. But I'm sure I will be doing more shuttles so I want to know for the future. I should have asked when I got back to the depot, but I was tired and just wanted to go home.

If I was suppose to get a slip, can I still get one or too late?

thanks

Got a question pertaining to OT.

Sunday night I was working on the "G Shuttle". I was suppose to leave Jay st and head back to the depot at 2:05am. The time I was suppose to clear was like 3:44am (approx) .. I got to Jay st @ 2am and advised the dispatcher of my schedule. He asked if I wanted to make one more trip, then dead head back to the depot b/c there were no buses when i got there and people waiting. I said sure.

I did the extra trip, and still made it back to my depot like 5 minutes after my original clear time.

Is that considered OT? Was I suppose to get a slip for that? I wasnt sure/didnt think so b/c I got back the time I was suppose. I mean, I first when he asked me I assumed it was OT b/c I would get back later. But that trip was very light and I was taking it easy too.

If I gotta suck it up as a loss now, no big deal.. But I'm sure I will be doing more shuttles so I want to know for the future. I should have asked when I got back to the depot, but I was tired and just wanted to go home.

If I was suppose to get a slip, can I still get one or too late?

thanks

Well I would guess since you didn't work past your scheduled time then you wouldn't get paid OT. But in the future you should ask your dispatcher those questions on the spot. But it seems people are getting the OT thing confused. When we say don't do voluntary over time ,we are talking about working one or two of your RDO's or doing doubles. Not when you just work an hour or two past your scheduled time.

You better hope you arent on the computer looking at this site on TA time..

Think about that next time you post during the day...

I'm not a transit employee. When have I ever said I am? I have an online business, and post here once in a while. I think this is maybe my 18th total post.

I am happy with my 26.99 per hour rate as a T/O in schoolcar,if I do get a raise it is great,but I still have over 5 months of schoolcar which includes 3 practicals,a signal test and 6 months of probation after that until I can even think of breathing easier.

My end of probation is 1/11/11.still a loooooooooooooooong way to go.

I suggest other rookies here think the same way.

1/11/11? You'd better write that date down. It might be hard to remember. (*disclaimer* said sarcastically, but not as an insult towards Andrew. Said that way because it is all 1's. Keep your bibs on children before you come back here saying I was insulting Andrew.)

Archived