MTA is going to okay $100M transit worker pay hikes, but will appeal increases year 3

CPBO

So they basically had to cross the picket line? Wouldn't this be disastrous as far as those employees are concerned with the Union? I understand that they can be canned by management, but how is that explained to co-workers and Union Reps who see them reporting?

Every one knew that probational employees can not strike, as far as i heard there were no fights over it.

Probationals just came in and sat in the swing room for 8 hours after their report time

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every one knew that probational employees can not strike, as far as i heard there were no fights over it.

Probationals just came in and sat in the swing room for 8 hours after their report time

Wow that's a big difference than what stations employees told me that were probies at the time. They had to reports to their filed office and stand outside in the freezing train station mezzanines. I know that must have sucked for those guys. To them sitting around in the swing room for 8 hours would have been heaven.

They can't tell anyone who is done with their tour, to do an extra trip.

Yes they 100% can; however, a clearing T/O or C/R is the last person a dispatcher can order down the road after having gone through a specific list.

Got a question pertaining to OT.

Sunday night I was working on the "G Shuttle". I was suppose to leave Jay st and head back to the depot at 2:05am. The time I was suppose to clear was like 3:44am (approx) .. I got to Jay st @ 2am and advised the dispatcher of my schedule. He asked if I wanted to make one more trip, then dead head back to the depot b/c there were no buses when i got there and people waiting. I said sure.

I did the extra trip, and still made it back to my depot like 5 minutes after my original clear time.

Is that considered OT? Was I suppose to get a slip for that? I wasnt sure/didnt think so b/c I got back the time I was suppose. I mean, I first when he asked me I assumed it was OT b/c I would get back later. But that trip was very light and I was taking it easy too.

If I gotta suck it up as a loss now, no big deal.. But I'm sure I will be doing more shuttles so I want to know for the future. I should have asked when I got back to the depot, but I was tired and just wanted to go home.

If I was suppose to get a slip, can I still get one or too late?

thanks

You made an extra trip so it is OT! You have to fill out an overtime slip and you get paid for 4 hours for an extra trip even if you worked only 2 hours.

Thanks for the info. As far as sitting around on the board, suppose I'd been sitting 7 1/2 hours, then at 2130 I pick up a money job with built in O/T (we'll say a Senior T/O who picked that job has called out) which works 8 hours 51 minutes and pays 9 hrs. Will I get assigned that job despite it putting me over 16 hrs since the first 7 1/2 hours was spent sitting on the board?

Wasn't sure how the 16 hour rule applied either since there were guys here saying they've worked more than 16 hours on occasion in the past (maybe during the blackout? I don't remember...)

You will get your board time plus whatever the job pays. It's really up to you if you want to work the whole job. You only really have to do the first trip. The crew office will try to give you the whole job if they are short, but you can deny the 2nd trip if you want.

You will get your board time plus whatever the job pays. It's really up to you if you want to work the whole job. You only really have to do the first trip. The crew office will try to give you the whole job if they are short, but you can deny the 2nd trip if you want.

If its your Friday (meaning your RDO is the next day) you are better off working the whole job if you can, it will help you so to speak in the long run espeically if they dont have anybody else available for your last or last two trips.

Thanks for the info. As far as sitting around on the board, suppose I'd been sitting 7 1/2 hours, then at 2130 I pick up a money job with built in O/T (we'll say a Senior T/O who picked that job has called out) which works 8 hours 51 minutes and pays 9 hrs. Will I get assigned that job despite it putting me over 16 hrs since the first 7 1/2 hours was spent sitting on the board?

Wasn't sure how the 16 hour rule applied either since there were guys here saying they've worked more than 16 hours on occasion in the past (maybe during the blackout? I don't remember...)

If they have no choice but to do that, they will based on the needs of service. They usually will split a job like that though. You will do the X amount of trips, and they will have another board person show up to complete the rest, if they can........

Yes they 100% can; however, a clearing T/O or C/R is the last person a dispatcher can order down the road after having gone through a specific list.

How is that? When we sign out, we are not at the discretion of anyone to tell us to go down the road. They can only ask. They can't deny anyone to sign out at clearing time, unless there is a rule they can, or there is a bulletin stating that they can, and they have the right to not let us sign out, if we don't make the extra trip. Is there such a rule???????

How is that? When we sign out, we are not at the discretion of anyone to tell us to go down the road. They can only ask. They can't deny anyone to sign out at clearing time, unless there is a rule they can, or there is a bulletin stating that they can, and they have the right to not let us sign out, if we don't make the extra trip. Is there such a rule???????

Go on TENS and look in the Bulletins i think its there, something to do with "Procedures for not ABD'ing intervals" or something..

If its a "Bulletin" its a rule because Bulletins supersede the rules...

Forget it i found it....

Here it is Bulletin 193-05...

I just copied the last part, the most important part...

5. Order a clearing Conductor or Train Operator to make a trip on overtime.

NOTE: The last alternative may be used only when there is no other way to crew the train

and in accordance with outstanding overtime control procedures.

In general when a choice between available personnel must be made, the employee whose reporting

time is nearest to the open job will be used. Supervisors must notify the Subdivision Crew Office

upon filling any open road job.

You see the word "Order" there right? There are steps that have to be made if its your FRIDAY though you are out of luck if nobody else is available...

Keep up with those Bulletins you never know when they will come in handy it can save you a lot of grief because when you get to Labor Relations they are going to have all of this stuff ready.

They will catch you BEFORE you sign out and order you to make the trip. I have seen it at least 30 times with my own eyes.

You made an extra trip so it is OT! You have to fill out an overtime slip and you get paid for 4 hours for an extra trip even if you worked only 2 hours.

Wow. that sucks. guess it's too late now.. and I really made 2 extra trips b/c I got there early for my first trip and they had me start..

They gave like an hour an change to deadhead from the depot to where the shuttle started and i got there in half the time (no traffic) and just got on the line..

Now I know. Where would I get that OT slip? from the road dispatcher or when i get back to the depot?

Wish they tell you this stuff and not have to find out this way.. I'm gonna have to sit down with my union rep and have them explain all this stuff to me.. i still dont know what a "trick" is an all that.. I really need to learn it all so I dont get screwed out of money..

thanks

Wow. that sucks. guess it's too late now.. and I really made 2 extra trips b/c I got there early for my first trip and they had me start..

They gave like an hour an change to deadhead from the depot to where the shuttle started and i got there in half the time (no traffic) and just got on the line..

Now I know. Where would I get that OT slip? from the road dispatcher or when i get back to the depot?

Wish they tell you this stuff and not have to find out this way.. I'm gonna have to sit down with my union rep and have them explain all this stuff to me.. i still dont know what a "trick" is an all that.. I really need to learn it all so I dont get screwed out of money..

thanks

The rules and procedures are different in RTO than in surface. The person you quoted is talking about RTO.

What is the address for the TENS site? I tried to google it and I tried the transit and local 100 site and cant find it..

tia

go to mta.info

-on the bottom right hand corner, click on site map

-on the site map, scroll down until you see employee connection(located in the nyct section)

-put your pass and password in; then you'll be directed to the tens website............:tup:

i know that many of you guys are hoping that the new TWU head will give in to Tier 5 to save the 700 bus driver jobs but most if not all economists/politicians know that this will save almost nothing in the short term due to the fact that it only applies to NEW employees. what Samuelson MAY have to do is actually give in on this 3rd year award. and if thats still not enough to save all the jobs, he may have to accept a pay CUT like many of the american unions have had to suffer. but his number one priority will have to be to make sure none of his members starve or go homeless. i also think Samuelson should really go public in supporting congestion pricing because thats the only way these layoffs won't happen, it appears :P

Congestion pricing is a horrible idea, has been from day one, and will always be. Nothing Bloomturd says will make it less so, and no amount of "fiscal crisis" will make it a good move. It will cost a ton of money to implement as well, so before a cent of revenue even comes in, it involves spending a lot of money to even implement.

Congestion pricing sucks. Hate to be blunt about it, Lex you're a good guy and I respect your opinions and all, but congestion pricing has been a bad idea ever since the first time it was brought up.

i know that many of you guys are hoping that the new TWU head will give in to Tier 5 to save the 700 bus driver jobs but most if not all economists/politicians know that this will save almost nothing in the short term due to the fact that it only applies to NEW employees. what Samuelson MAY have to do is actually give in on this 3rd year award. and if thats still not enough to save all the jobs, he may have to accept a pay CUT like many of the american unions have had to suffer. but his number one priority will have to be to make sure none of his members starve or go homeless. i also think Samuelson should really go public in supporting congestion pricing because thats the only way these layoffs won't happen, it appears :)

I know of no one who hopes the union caves in on Tier 5 but since I don't know everyone in transit maybe you're on to something. As far as giving in on the 3rd year of the award, again, I've heard nothing of the sort. We may not be the Local 100 of Mike Quill's day but any leader proposing such a move would have to be suicidal. From where I stand it's up to the (MTA) to find the resources to fund that 3rd year. The arbitrator told them how to do it. Now it's up to them. As far as congestion pricing goes the people have already spoken. Case closed. End of story.

yes its up to the (MTA) to fill in the budget gap, but they have already decided how they're going to do that...with massive layoffs of bus drivers and other positions! so now, its up to Local 100 to work out an agreement to make sure these layoffs wont happen. Samuelson has already said he's gonna "fight" these layoffs. unless he's threatening a strike, he's gonna have to make a major concession somewhere. and i said what i said about Tier 5 because there was a thread recently in which overwhelmingly, it was said that Tier 5 should be implemented to stave off any damage to the current membership, and that the union's main responsibility was to the CURRENT membership. and that if the unborn dont want the job after Tier 5 then they dont have to take it...sound familiar?

and about congestion pricing its not a brain opinion, its a gut opinion. i know its just another tax on the middle class and small businesses with trucks. but i was just so pissed off that i had to pay $4 each way just to get to work at JFK airport from the Bronx i just wanted to see the whole city be forced to pay this tax, not just Bronx to Queens ppl, ESPECIALLY since there's a congestion problem in Manhattan and ESPECIALLY since it would have killed (MTA) service cuts

While I do think that the (MTA) wants to layoff people I doubt that they would be stupid enough to lay off B/Os and T/Os who generate money for the organization. The less buses and trains out there the less $$$ the (MTA) collects in fares and federal subsidies. If the (MTA) is stupid enough to cut off it's nose to spite it's face well so be it. I hardly think it's Local 100's problem. The (MTA)s problem sits squarely on the collective shoulders of Albany and City Hall, along with the (MTA) board. Why should Local 100 agree to Tier 5 with these incompetant, unqualified hacks ? The game being played on the somewhat naive ridership is that any concessions by the unions will help save the fare and avoid these draconian cuts. I say that's Grade A, prime B.S. Next year and for years afterward there will still be deficits and cuts as long as the underfunding of the (MTA) continues. Quite frankly the overriding scheme here is to have minimal service, with as few hourly employees as possible. The beancounters at the (MTA) have determined that for every $1 in fare collected they LOSE $1.50 so the less service provided the less the deficit. Like true believers they believe that as long as the core central business district of Manhattan is taken care of screw the outer boroughs. If the bankers get their bonds paid back on time that's all that counts.

and about congestion pricing its not a brain opinion, its a gut opinion. i know its just another tax on the middle class and small businesses with trucks. but i was just so pissed off that i had to pay $4 each way just to get to work at JFK airport from the Bronx i just wanted to see the whole city be forced to pay this tax, not just Bronx to Queens ppl, ESPECIALLY since there's a congestion problem in Manhattan and ESPECIALLY since it would have killed (MTA) service cuts

what about the staten island ferry it`s free for now i bet they will charge on that to to take it to the city and if this goes through service cuts i hope the mta workers go on strike

Igor, you know very well that they can't go on strike. I don't think Mr. Samuelson wants to go to jail and at the same time bankrupting the union due to heavy fines for striking.

If there is one issue that all NYC labor union leaders will fight the hardest against for is Tier 5. Layoffs are temporary, give backs are FOREVER.

While I do think that the (MTA) wants to layoff people I doubt that they would be stupid enough to lay off B/Os and T/Os who generate money for the organization. The less buses and trains out there the less $$$ the (MTA) collects in fares and federal subsidies. If the (MTA) is stupid enough to cut off it's nose to spite it's face well so be it. I hardly think it's Local 100's problem. The (MTA)s problem sits squarely on the collective shoulders of Albany and City Hall, along with the (MTA) board. Why should Local 100 agree to Tier 5 with these incompetant, unqualified hacks ? The game being played on the somewhat naive ridership is that any concessions by the unions will help save the fare and avoid these draconian cuts. I say that's Grade A, prime B.S. Next year and for years afterward there will still be deficits and cuts as long as the underfunding of the (MTA) continues. Quite frankly the overriding scheme here is to have minimal service, with as few hourly employees as possible. The beancounters at the (MTA) have determined that for every $1 in fare collected they LOSE $1.50 so the less service provided the less the deficit. Like true believers they believe that as long as the core central business district of Manhattan is taken care of screw the outer boroughs. If the bankers get their bonds paid back on time that's all that counts.

100% agreed. This world is run FOR and BY suits and it SUCKS for everyone else. Many posters here even repeat their drivel, not out of their own fault or ignorance, but just because the media conditions them to support the agenda of the wealthy. All the bean counters in most organizations support this stupid penny pinching ideas...the MBA generation. Years ago, you learned YOUR business then you learned business along the way and because you knew YOUR business you would succeed and run a good company (ie if you were running trains you KNEW TRAINS). Now people go learn business and think that teaches them how to run a furniture company, transportation agency, maple syrup conglomerate etc. well it doesn't, all it teaches them is a bunch of useless drivel put together to make a course that does not work in the real world. Real business skills are a combination of common sense and people skills, not cost cutting, budget analysis, cost/value added studies, and SWOT analyses. No one - in any business - seems to get that anymore and that is why there is such a shitstream of incompetence at the top of almost every major organization (including our government!) these days...

Archived