‘Emergency Brake’ Confuses Many on Subway

Harry

The emergency brake is a ubiquitous fixture of New York City subway cars, a cord that allows passengers to bring 400 tons of metal to a screeching halt.

But despite its name — clearly labeled in bold print — the emergency cord carries a counterintuitive caveat: In most emergencies, it is not meant to be used.

Every subway car in the city is equipped with a placard titled “Emergency Instructions.” The first instruction: “Do not pull the emergency cord.”

So what emergency, exactly, does this emergency brake refer to? The explanation, transit officials say, is simple. If someone gets caught between the train’s closing doors, or between subway cars, and is about to be dragged to an unenviable fate, pull the cord. The train will stop, possibly saving a life.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/19/nyregion/19brake.html

post-1-13328858159_thumb.jpg

post-1-13328858159_thumb.jpg

This shows an obvious lack of communication between the MTA and passengers, in addition to an alarming deterioration in the amount of common sense in the typical transit rider... recipe for disaster...

Thank you. Common sense says if you pull the cord in the tunnel it's going to take even longer to get to the next stop. Duh! The chances for immediate help are way higher at a station. Gosh... I wonder about people everyday.

I think I can think of a probable use. Doors close on someone's coat. Person gets dragged. Person is trapped on the second car - not enough time for the conductor to react. Customer sees ths, pulls cord. They avoid splattered brains on train body.

Or if for some reason the car uncouples from the rest of the train and the train can't be stopped, then the Emergency Cord can be used.

The emergency brakes on both train sets would automatically be engaged in the event of a pull apart due to a sudden rupture in trainline brake pipe air. There would be no need for a customer activation of the emergency cord.

It is also intended to be used when T/Os falls asleep while still pushing down their deadmans lever. This happened a while back and people started noticing the train not stopping at any of the stops and someone pulled the brake and the T/O was passed out.

last time some tourists thought the train was going to fast back on the R68 (N) train during the 60th street tunnel,and it came to a hard stop,passengers got pissed,tourist was confused,train got delayed.TOURISTS!

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS! If you have never been there, why would you think it's too fast?

I was once on an express (F) train going through the stops between roosevelt and continental and there was an sick passenger and someone pulled the emergency break. Which was stupid because stalling the train in the middle track only made the ill passenger wait longer for help, instead of letting the train get to continental and then informing a crew memeber

I was once on an express (F) train going through the stops between roosevelt and continental and there was an sick passenger and someone pulled the emergency break. Which was stupid because stalling the train in the middle track only made the ill passenger wait longer for help, instead of letting the train get to continental and then informing a crew memeber

That person who pulled the cord is an Idiot.....

I think I can think of a probable use. Doors close on someone's coat. Person gets dragged. Person is trapped on the second car - not enough time for the conductor to react. Customer sees ths, pulls cord. They avoid splattered brains on train body.

LOL So graphic.

I have heard where people have pulled the emergency brake because they missed their stop,like the train is really going to back up and drop them off, way too many stupid people out there.

LOL Now that is hilarious. About six billion people on the planet and some people only consider themselves, like it's all about them.

LOL Now that is hilarious. About six billion people on the planet and some people only consider themselves, like it's all about them.

Had some Lady on my train do that once...

Then had the nerve to yell @ me when i got out of my cab because i "missed" her stop at 145th Street...

This was back in my A Div Dayz when the (1) and (9) trains was Skip Stop...

I was a (1) train BTW....

After i called Control to tell them, i pointed out to her on the map that only (9) trains stopped there, reset the cord got back in my cab and proceeded...

Cops took her off at 157th Street...

Had some Lady on my train do that once...

Then had the nerve to yell @ me when i got out of my cab because i "missed" her stop at 145th Street...

This was back in my A Div Dayz when the (1) and (9) trains was Skip Stop...

I was a (1) train BTW....

After i called Control to tell them, i pointed out to her on the map that only (9) trains stopped there, reset the cord got back in my cab and proceeded...

Cops took her off at 157th Street...

LOL Yeah, people...

Archived