‘Emergency Brake’ Confuses Many on Subway

Harry

I think I can think of a probable use. Doors close on someone's coat. Person gets dragged. Person is trapped on the second car - not enough time for the conductor to react. Customer sees ths, pulls cord. They avoid splattered brains on train body.

That's one possible use. Shouldn't happen because the door indication circuit shouldn't close and therefore the T/O shouldn't be able to take power. If that did happen, pulling the cord is the right thing to do and you can bet that set will be taken out of service immediately to find out why indication was received with something in the door.

It's funny how another article a few months back, about that passenger on a D train which threatened people, was acting like the guy who pulled the cord was a hero who stepped up to the plate. And on here, many argued in favor of pulling the cord saying that "it's a gut instinct" and other crap like that.

It is also intended to be used when T/Os falls asleep while still pushing down their deadmans lever. This happened a while back and people started noticing the train not stopping at any of the stops and someone pulled the brake and the T/O was passed out.

why wasnt the train tripped up by a red light if it was missing stops? i mean no train ride is that ''smooth'' to keep up with green lights.....even wen the t/o is awake.

It is also intended to be used when T/Os falls asleep while still pushing down their deadmans lever. This happened a while back and people started noticing the train not stopping at any of the stops and someone pulled the brake and the T/O was passed out.

why wasnt the train tripped up by a red light if it was missing stops? i mean no train ride is that ''smooth'' to keep up with green lights.....even wen the t/o is awake.

There are not always red signals. There are still some stretches of track that are not timered to hell.

It's funny how another article a few months back, about that passenger on a D train which threatened people, was acting like the guy who pulled the cord was a hero who stepped up to the plate. And on here, many argued in favor of pulling the cord saying that "it's a gut instinct" and other crap like that.

And on here, many argued in favor of pulling the cord saying that "it's a gut instinct" and other crap like that.

It's a gut instinct because 99% of people have no idea what to do in an emergency. Common sense goes out the window. What really gave me a good laugh was that some Dr. said the following.

Dr. Uleman said it was confusing to label the brake cord with the word “emergency,” particularly since it suggested the necessity of taking action. He was also concerned to learn that the emergency instructions were often not placed directly under the cord.

“The signage is poor,” Dr. Uleman said. “They didn’t ask a psychologist how to design it.”

Of course they did not have some shrink design it, emergency brakes have been on rail cars since the dawn of railroading. People need to pull their heads out of their asses.

The emergency brake stops a train so...

stopping in a smoke filled tunnel is bad,

stopping with an armed EDP who has killed someone is again, bad

stopping the train because you missed your stop because you had your head up you ass, is just pathetic,

stopping the train when someone is caught in the doors, thats actually a good idea.

How is this so hard to figure out?

The R142 to R160 the box is clearly marked emer brake. It won't work between stations which is good. It is never a good idea to pull the cord between stations that a great way to delay help from getting to you. The guy on the (D) was playing with fire.

The worst story I hard about someone pulling the cord between stations was on a uptown(A) outside of Hoyt street. A women is having chest pians so someone pulls the cord. The conductor investigates tells control. The instruct the Conductor to reset the cord and wait for EMS at Hoyt. The Conductor claims to have reset the cord but Train operator is unable to recharge the train. So now he is ordered to investigate for more pulled cords and doesn't so a train service supervisor and road car inspector respond they had trouble. Now 2 hours later the train is on the move with police and EMS on the platform. The sick customer refused medical because the chest pains went away but it was a train load of angry people late for work. The incident happen am rush hour. It turned out the emer brake was not properly reset.

It's a gut instinct because 99% of people have no idea what to do in an emergency. Common sense goes out the window. What really gave me a good laugh was that some Dr. said the following.

Dr. Uleman said it was confusing to label the brake cord with the word “emergency,” particularly since it suggested the necessity of taking action. He was also concerned to learn that the emergency instructions were often not placed directly under the cord.

“The signage is poor,” Dr. Uleman said. “They didn’t ask a psychologist how to design it.”

Of course they did not have some shrink design it, emergency brakes have been on rail cars since the dawn of railroading. People need to pull their heads out of their asses.

stopping the train because you missed your stop because you had your head up you ass, is just pathetic,

stopping the train when someone is caught in the doors, thats actually a good idea.

I don't know, man. It's like people aren't smart anymore. People value college degrees and things, but never take Common Sense 101. If I was on that train car I would've been like, "Oh my God, oh my God, this is bad we need to get to the next station ASAP," not, "Oh my God, oh my God, stop the train!" LOL What is that!? I could see if you were leaving Howard Beach station Rockaway-bound, but not mid-tunnel. Gosh! Suppose the killer really went berserk and just started stabbing everyone... Some hero he'd be.

Where is your thank-you button?:mad:

What is even more funny is in every car there are signs telling people situations where the cord is NOT to be pulled.

This Dr is an Idiot as well...

:agrees:

Seems to be a common trend in that line of work...
ROTFLMAO!

I don't know, man. It's like people aren't smart anymore. People value college degrees and things, but never take Common Sense 101. If I was on that train car I would've been like, "Oh my God, oh my God, this is bad we need to get to the next station ASAP," not, "Oh my God, oh my God, stop the train!" LOL What is that!? I could see if you were leaving Howard Beach station Rockaway-bound, but not mid-tunnel. Gosh! Suppose the killer really went berserk and just started stabbing everyone... Some hero he'd be.

IAWTP. 100%. All the degrees in the world and all the book knowledge does not compensate for first hand common sense and critical thinking, and all too many people certainly lack that. You can take a course in responding to emergencies, but if you never PRACTICE how to respond in an emergency, or take a few seconds to plan out what you would do, when the shit hits the fan, all your education is goin to go out the window and be replaced with the stupidity of most people: "OMG!!! What do I need to do??? I need to do something??? I'm going to [look around and do the very first thing that comes to mind that I can justify to myself right now in these 3 seconds]"

By rule, doesn't the C/R have to pull the cord as soon as the C/R board passes them?

It depends. yes they are suppose to, but the T/O's position is the first into the station. If I came in and hear gunshots and see people scattering, I don't want my C/R to pull the cord. Why should we become sitting ducks? I want to bypass that station. That rule needs to be revised. I would give my C/R one long buzz, while still taking power, to bypass. They decide to pull the cord anyways, my front will be out the station, and I will be running down the tracks.........

He means they didn't pay an exorbitant amount to he or his practice, on how to design it...:P:P:p..........

They should get rid of the emergency brake sign, and put pull in case of etc.......

He means they didn't pay an exorbitant amount to he or his practice, on how to design it...:P:P:p..........

TRUTH

They should get rid of the emergency brake sign, and put pull in case of etc.......

Yeah, and add lots of graphic 1960's/1970's style signage to it with cartoon bloody images of people getting dragged, or someone falling between train cars so that the sheeple will understand what to do. Words? Me no likey. Pictures? Likey.

Now do you take the time to open the storm door, or do you just dive out the vision glass?

I'll take the time, cause my window and possible entire first car will be out the station. By the time the C/R gets to their board, I'll be at the 10car marker, while still taking power. Actually 3-4 cars should be out the station......

On the Bx1 when I was driving a bus, and a hoard of people were coming from the back to the front, i was waiting to hear pop. I had my seatbelt off, the side glass was already open, the doors were open, and I was ready to do a cartwheel out that window, onto the Grand Concourse..........

Archived