Freight service units, naming, and reasoning behind them. (photo examples encouraged)

metsfan

So tell me, i would like to know, what are the most popular, least popular, oddball and rare/one of a kind units that have moved freight in this country over the years? What was the reasoning for so many different variations, even within the same subtypes (GP40/GP40-1 etc), which units were used most on which lines etc?

What is a U33, why did it haul freight, why is it called a U33, same with other name designations, what did they really mean exactly?

I've had these 2 questions in my mind for a very long time, since about 1988 when i saw a set of 4 big blue conrail locos pull a long train of tank cars, flat cars etc through the branch near my dad's old place of employment in Fairless Hills PA.

I encourage anyone getting involved to ask and answer questions about freight power as well, preferably with photo examples to enhance the discussion.

- A

Really it depends on the railroad and at what price they can get something along with past experience.

Example Canadian Pacific is not to fond of EMD after a few incidents they had with their products and that is why you see them purchasing GE now.

Railroads like NS,BNSF, and UP seem to buy whatever they want but all railroads now seem to field more GE products.

Now each railroader has their own preference for what they like to run, but they take whatever is given to them on the pad, sometimes if they are lucky they can find an excuse to spin the power.

When you see a name like GP40 or GP40-2 the reason it is called a GP40-2 is its upgraded or built to dash 2 specifications meaning some work has been done for the most part internally to the locomotives systems however output is generally the same, there also maybe some external modifications.

The U in U33C stands for GE's Universal series , which was kind of like their version of EMD's GP or SD series. GP stands for General Purpose and SD for Special Duty.

Really it depends on the railroad and at what price they can get something along with past experience.

Example Canadian Pacific is not to fond of EMD after a few incidents they had with their products and that is why you see them purchasing GE now.

Railroads like NS,BNSF, and UP seem to buy whatever they want but all railroads now seem to field more GE products.

Now each railroader has their own preference for what they like to run, but they take whatever is given to them on the pad, sometimes if they are lucky they can find an excuse to spin the power.

When you see a name like GP40 or GP40-2 the reason it is called a GP40-2 is its upgraded or built to dash 2 specifications meaning some work has been done for the most part internally to the locomotives systems however output is generally the same, there also maybe some external modifications.

The U in U33C stands for GE's Universal series , which was kind of like their version of EMD's GP or SD series. GP stands for General Purpose and SD for Special Duty.

Its not really that CP isnt fond of EMD they just really liked there AC44's and EV44AC's. They hated there SD90MAC-H's but there SD9043MAC's were ok but just stored since there is less of them in the fleet. We all know that CN loves DC locos

CP and EMD had problems going back to the last order for those one off SD40-2F those thing were plagued with problems initially still may hold true if any are left out there believe most are in storage and 3 are dead for good.

the SD40-2F are well liked by CP and all are in service but 3 due to derailment damage so 23 are in service of the 25 also CP has been returning the SD60's and the leased SD40-2 from storage lines

the SD40-2F are well liked by CP and all are in service but 3 due to derailment damage so 23 are in service of the 25 also CP has been returning the SD60's and the leased SD40-2 from storage lines

I don't know who you talk to at CP but every single hogger and conductor I have came across from CP says they are a piece of junk, even on forums there are CP crews who say they are junk.

I don't know who you talk to at CP but every single hogger and conductor I have came across from CP says they are a piece of junk, even on forums there are CP crews who say they are junk.

crews many not like them but the shop people do as they run very well

What units might be easier to repair etc may be a pain in the arse to operate out on the road. The trucks look kind of odd, are the cowls the only difference between that & the SD40-2?

- A

the only different is the cowl body but they are the last SD40-2's for the North American market so they have all the bugs worked out, they run very well for cp and cp and the shop crews love them but the road crews had them due to engine noice is louder in cowl body units

with the EMD -2 's my understanding is they have updated trucks and updated electrics other wise they are the same

Archived