Final planned NYCT Doomesday Bus Cuts-2010

Shortline Bus

Here the summary of the planned Bronx bus cuts.

Bronx

NYC Transit 2010 Service Reduction and Restructure Proposals

Bronx Local Bus

Restructure Local Bus Routes to Discontinue Underutilized or Duplicative Segments

�� Restructure the Bx26, Bx28, and Bx30 in Co-op City

�� Restructure the Bx5, Bx8, and Bx14 in Eastern Bronx

�� Replace Bx41 Service on White Plains Road North of Gun Hill Road with a Bx39

Extension

�� Restructure Bx15/Bx55 Service Along Third Avenue

Discontinue Service on Low-Performing Local Bus Routes

There is one route proposed for complete discontinuation, one route proposed for off-peak

discontinuation, and two routes proposed for weekend discontinuation. One seasonal

service is also proposed for discontinuation.

�� Discontinue all Bx18 service

�� Discontinue off-peak and Saturday Bx20 service (there is currently no Sunday service)

�� Discontinue Bx33 weekend service

�� Discontinue Bx34 weekend service

�� Discontinue Seasonal Bus Service to the Barretto Point Park Pool

Note that Bx14 service would be discontinued and replaced in the Country Club

neighborhood by the Bx8 and Bx55 weekend service would be discontinued and replaced by

Bx15 local service as part of restructuring plans discussed above.

Reduce Spans of Service on Local Bus Routes

This proposal reduces service at the start or end of service (on non-24 hour routes), or

discontinues service on 24-hour routes during overnight hours, during periods of extremely

low ridership.

�� Discontinue overnight bus service on the Bx34

�� Start weekday service later on the Bx32, end weekday evening service on BX33 and start Sunday service later on the BX17.

In other words:

BX4 Country Club service replaced by BX 5 and BX 8 service.

BX 18 is canned.

BX20 become a rush hour only line. Use the BX7 and BX10 for full time service along Riverdale Ave.

BX55 limited stop is reduced to running weekdays only appx. 530am-10pm.

BX15 is increased and becomes a full time 'artics' route.

BX41 northbound terminal is shortned to end at Gun Hill Road/WP Road (2) subway station. BX39 is extended to 241 Street to replace the BX41 Wakefield area service.

Major Bus changes in Coop City area including the creation of a new BX38 route to supplement the BX28 route.

More to come.:P

Why the HELL are they reducing the Bx41 to Gun Hill?!! Are they crazy? That bus is packed all the time. It doesnt make sense...

Yes, "because they dare cut your precious express bus routes"... But that doesn't stop you from always bashing everything else from the subways to local buses....

You only care about one aspect of the MTA. That's the only thing you like about it and criticize everything else about the MTA. It's having your cake and eating it.

Almost every city has a functional mass transit system with express buses. DC has a world class subway system and a handful of express bus routes (not that they're needed in DC since the subway system there actually works). Miami, Chicago, and Boston also have both rail systems and express buses. Houston has a lightrail and an extensive express bus system. In fact, the express bus fare in DC is $3.10. Why do people whine and moan about express buses here?

They have a smaller system, they shut down their lines after a certain hour, their systems are younger than ours....

If NYC's subway system was as small, young, clean, charges the same fare by distance rates as DC - then maybe it can be comparable to DC and maybe then there would be the money to support express buses as well.

I think you are being wholely unrealistic to expect NYC to have the exact same standards as other systems given the many factors I've been continuously posting. You keep repeating the same thing over and over again ignoring the vast differences between NYC and other cities. NYC is not a utopia - it is just getting by. If it could shut down the system for periods at a time for basic cleaning and repairs, then maybe it could be to 'your standards of approval' much like Path or such. But the reality is NYC is a 24/7 city. Nothing is going to be shut down until it is time to give a certain area a total overhaul like the 7 and G bus shuttles.

This is the problem, you keep saying 'express buses are great', yet you can't even afford to ride it. What's so great about that? Express buses are a luxury when there are local alternatives. And you at least have the LIRR if you despise the conditions on the subways. The rest of us have to rely on whatever's there.

The extension of the B57 would make the route too long. They split the B61 into the B62 and B61 (good idea to extend the "new" B61), to improve reliability but the extension of the B57 would create the same reliability problems the original B61 used to have. Traffic on Flushing Ave. can get crazy and the traffic along Court and Smith Streets will have negative service impacts along the entire line. My guess is NYCT does not like the new B62 and the current B57 sharing the same terminal so they're kicking the B57 out. Additionally many operators work schedules have their jobs on the B57 is interlined with other routes. Lateness on one route can have ripple effects on the other routes.

Agreed Bill. This may seem like a dumb idea but why not run the B75 between the Brooklyn Navy Yard and Smith/9th Street weekdays only? IMO that better than extending the B57 which is already a long route to just past the Queens border. And if the (MTA) does not want the B57/new "B62' share a terminal in Downtown Brooklyn why can't the B62 terminate at Atlantic/Columbia St (B63 terminal) so former B61 riders going to/from LIU College Hosptial still have access to Williamsburg/Greenpoint and LI City?

M5 from GWB to South Ferry??? That's a heck of a long route :eek:

The M5 is too long as it is. Lousy service regularity. This is only going to make it worse.

When I worked a few years ago at 168/C line I befriended the bus dispatcher up there, he basically handled the M3. That's another route that's unmanagable due to its' long length and traffic conditions.

The M5 is too long as it is. Lousy service regularity. This is only going to make it worse.

When I worked a few years ago at 168/C line I befriended the bus dispatcher up there, he basically handled the M3. That's another route that's unmanagable due to its' long length and traffic conditions.

I think it was AEMOREINA in another post who suggested that if this M 5/6 merger occurs than the M5 Northern terminal should end/start at 168 instead of the GWB. Great idea. I never saw it in the pdf but i hope the M5 stays a limited and runs as it 7 days a week between 14th St and 72nd St. I also hope the (NYCT)has 'short trip' M5's end at Houston St Monday-Saturdays.

Also since under this plan, the M1 (correct me guys if i am wrong those documents were over 300 pages long i dizzying reading those things lol) is no longer running on Park Ave South between Union Sq and 40 Street, what about having the M3 new southbound terminal be at Penn Station?

Does this mean that KB will also run the Bx15 line, along with WF, which barely has enough artics for the Bx19 service. Or in anticipation of getting 90+ NovaBus artics, are they going to rehab the older New Flyer ones, and have about 90+ extra artics. When you broke, you do an in house rehab at Zerega, long as the shell and chassis are in good working order, and it don't cost to much to do. The Bx20 should have been canned, and those extra buses should have went to the Bx7 and Bx10. The Bx18 should have been made rush hours only, and have a branch of the Bx11 serve that area off peak. The Bx41 stopping at Gun Hill now? I would have picked on that route if, I could now. The Bx39 should have always been the full White Plains Road Line, with every 3rd Bx41 bus helping out rush hours only. At least that will help alleviate some of the Bx41 lateness, Which WPR especially at 233rd st. causes.........

part 1: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=217253&postcount=25

This is part 2 of my musings/opinions on the cuts/alterations/etc., based on the PDF, continues.... I'm up to page 56, if anyone's following....

4) Shortening the B3 to East 71st st.

An idea I had, back when some people were saying the B3 should be shortened @ Kings Plaza, due to the route being so slow along Avenue U (that part I agree with; B3's do crawling along the route)...

anyway, it would make for an easier turnaround/layover scenario over there by the "triangle" (for lack of a better term).... This alteration wont make much difference in the grand scheme of things, but I still agree w/ this one... at most, it shaves about 5 minutes off the runtime of the route...

5) Shortening the B4 to Coney Island av/Av Z.

Bad Idea....

Someone didn't do their homework on this one... There are a significant amount of riders on the B4 in Sheepshead Bay (meaning, b/w the (:P/(Q) station, and it's terminal on Knapp st).... Sheepshead bay isn't the problem on the B4, it's the stint along Neptune av (buses get stuck in traffic, w/ barely anyone getting on/off along that portion)... At the very least, you cut it back to the Sheepshead Bay Station (like a few ppl have suggested)... B4 riders aren't looking to take the B68, and they're not coming off 68's to head WB....

Duplicate segments, yeah right.... If you wanna solve anything w/ the B4, you move it off Neptune, and keep it on Av Z; basically, do the same thing as the B36 does up until it reaches Ocean av, and then it can continue on w/ it's routing (while I believe EB buses should be taken off Shore Pkwy, and have buses running on Emmons in both directions)....

Of course, they make no mention of the B4 along 77th/78th sts in Bay Ridge, which is FAR less used by ppl. over that of people in Sheepshead....

6) Shortening the B12 to Alabama av

IMO, this is a no-brainer.... approximately every 2 out of 3 runs end @ Alabama av anyway...

Ridership absolutely tanks @ the (J) train station... Usage along the Liberty av portion is flat out poor... and it's been that way for quite some time now... may as well have every run ending at Alabama av....

7) Shortening the B13 to Myrtle/Wyckoff av's

I can agree with this... while I can't be too vocal about its ridership north of that segment, what I can say is... Why the hell did they extend it to Williamsburg in the first place? it made little to no sense... it couldn't have been to silence former B18 riders, b/c few of them really existed....

(side note: what is it w/ the number "18" and low ridership; B18, M18, Bx18)

8) Shortening the B48 to Fulton st

I kinda disagree with this... the majority of the people around that general area (Franklin av/Fulton st) are taking the subway, or the B49.... By cutting the B48 back to Fulton, you make the route in its entirety, less useful.... There's a number of schools along that portion of the B48 they wanna get rid of... Let's just say I would not wanna be on that shuttle train if this were to happen - it's already jampacked with boisterous kids enough as it is....

(S) may as well stand for (S)chool (S)huttle.

9) Shortening the B64 to 25th/Harway

Talk about displacement of riders.... So basically they want the B64 to run from Bay Ridge/Shore rd (71st) to 25th/Harway? Don't quite get why they're botching up the B64 like that....

The B64 is used on Harway, not so much on/at Stillwell (that I'll agree with); majority of Dewey kids are coming off the trains... While a small number in its totality, I hear there are more of those students that use the B82 over the B64... go figure....

...in any event, how can they say "remaining portions of the route would be unaffected" after cutting the route back to 25th, when they also wanna swap the B1 & the B64 routings west of 86th st/13th av.... funny stuff....

10) Shortening the Q24 at Broadway Junction

Another no-brainer... See what I said about the B12.

If you see more than 5 people (I'm not exaggerating with that either) at any one point on the Q24 in-between Patchen av & Broadway Junction, count your lucky stars... lol....

Q24 is unreliable and off schedule enough as it is... by cutting it back, you save/shave roughly 12-15 minutes off its runtime, and increase its reliability...

somewhat.

10) Discontinuing the B2 on weekends

I'm on the fence with this one.... I agree with it b/c buses are often empty on the B2 during the weekends, but its neighboring alternative (B100) runs about every 1/2 (especially on sundays)... I think its saturday service is about 20 mins., yall can check the mta website to correct me on that, if need be.....

11) Discontinuation of the B23 in its entirety

Unless some type of extension (which at least I don't see, on the surface) or other alteration can be done to make the route more useful, I agree w/ getting rid of this route....

12) Discontinuing the B24 on weekends

Agreed... Same situation as the B2 (if not worse)... People simply don't use this route near as much during the weekday, compared to the weekend...

Although I wish they'd come up w/ some way of modernizing this route....

13) Discontinuing the B39 & the B51 in their entirety

I've been saying, if you're gonna keep both of them, keep both... if you're gonna axe them both, axe them both.... they chose the latter...

part 3 to come, sometime during the week...

Oringally made by B35 via Church Jan 24, 2010. My replies in red.

) Shortening the B3 to East 71st st.

An idea I had, back when some people were saying the B3 should be shortened @ Kings Plaza, due to the route being so slow along Avenue U (that part I agree with; B3's do crawling along the route)...

anyway, it would make for an easier turnaround/layover scenario over there by the "triangle" (for lack of a better term).... This alteration wont make much difference in the grand scheme of things, but I still agree w/ this one... at most, it shaves about 5 minutes off the runtime of the route...

Agreed. However it's about 1/4 mile walk from East 71/Ave U to East 74th, so it would keep it as a rush hour only extension.

5) Shortening the B4 to Coney Island av/Av Z.

Bad Idea....

Someone didn't do their homework on this one... There are a significant amount of riders on the B4 in Sheepshead Bay (meaning, b/w the / station, and it's terminal on Knapp st).... Sheepshead bay isn't the problem on the B4, it's the stint along Neptune av (buses get stuck in traffic, w/ barely anyone getting on/off along that portion)... At the very least, you cut it back to the Sheepshead Bay Station (like a few ppl have suggested)... B4 riders aren't looking to take the B68, and they're not coming off 68's to head WB....

Duplicate segments, yeah right.... If you wanna solve anything w/ the B4, you move it off Neptune, and keep it on Av Z; basically, do the same thing as the B36 does up until it reaches Ocean av, and then it can continue on w/ it's routing (while I believe EB buses should be taken off Shore Pkwy, and have buses running on Emmons in both directions)....

Of course, they make no mention of the B4 along 77th/78th sts in Bay Ridge, which is FAR less used by ppl. over that of people in Sheepshead....

Also in agreement. If ridership is really that low along Emmons, at least terminate the B4 at the Sheepshead Bay Station for simple transfer to/from B36. Off topic but what about having some B36's terminate at Knapp/Belt pwy)movie place guys.

6) Shortening the B12 to Alabama av

IMO, this is a no-brainer.... approximately every 2 out of 3 runs end @ Alabama av anyway...

Ridership absolutely tanks @ the train station... Usage along the Liberty av portion is flat out poor... and it's been that way for quite some time now... may as well have every run ending at Alabama av....

Good idea. Hopefully down the road (MTA) considers extending the Q7 or Q112 to/from Bway Jct via Liberty.

7) Shortening the B13 to Myrtle/Wyckoff av's

I can agree with this... while I can't be too vocal about its ridership north of that segment, what I can say is... Why the hell did they extend it to Williamsburg in the first place? it made little to no sense... it couldn't have been to silence former B18 riders, b/c few of them really existed....

(side note: what is it w/ the number "18" and low ridership; B18, M18, Bx18)

Only issue is that it's about at least 1/4 mile (4 blocks to/from Wilson and B60)for alternative service. Also most if not all of the (L) stations in that part of Brooklyn are not ADA accessible. Ideally the (MTA) maybe could have ran the B18 between Mytrle/Wyckoff and Greenpoint area as well..

8) Shortening the B48 to Fulton st

I kinda disagree with this... the majority of the people around that general area (Franklin av/Fulton st) are taking the subway, or the B49.... By cutting the B48 back to Fulton, you make the route in its entirety, less useful.... There's a number of schools along that portion of the B48 they wanna get rid of... Let's just say I would not wanna be on that shuttle train if this were to happen - it's already jampacked with boisterous kids enough as it is....

may as well stand for (S)chool (S)huttle.

Would not residents at Ebbets Field Buliding be upset at losing this service? Hopefully B49 can handle the ridership increase.

9) Shortening the B64 to 25th/Harway

Talk about displacement of riders.... So basically they want the B64 to run from Bay Ridge/Shore rd (71st) to 25th/Harway? Don't quite get why they're botching up the B64 like that....

The B64 is used on Harway, not so much on/at Stillwell (that I'll agree with); majority of Dewey kids are coming off the trains... While a small number in its totality, I hear there are more of those students that use the B82 over the B64... go figure....

...in any event, how can they say "remaining portions of the route would be unaffected" after cutting the route back to 25th, when they also wanna swap the B1 & the B64 routings west of 86th st/13th av.... funny stuff....

If it were up to me i would just create a supplemental "B86' running between 95th St (R) and Kingsborough College and keep the B1/B64 but slightly cut service on both lines to have buses for the B86.

Still bad move by the (MTA) and the B64 should still operate to/from Stillwell since the B82 is among worst in Brooklyn with bus bunching.

10) Shortening the Q24 at Broadway Junction

Another no-brainer... See what I said about the B12.

If you see more than 5 people (I'm not exaggerating with that either) at any one point on the Q24 in-between Patchen av & Broadway Junction, count your lucky stars... lol....

Q24 is unreliable and off schedule enough as it is... by cutting it back, you save/shave roughly 12-15 minutes off its runtime, and increase its reliability...

somewhat.

10) Discontinuing the B2 on weekends

I'm on the fence with this one.... I agree with it b/c buses are often empty on the B2 during the weekends, but its neighboring alternative (B100) runs about every 1/2 (especially on sundays)... I think its saturday service is about 20 mins., yall can check the mta website to correct me on that, if need be.....

The B3 gets crowded and i seen enough ridership at least on Saturdays to at least run the B2 with 20-30 minute headways. A compromise could be keep Saturday service running it 7am-10pm and canning Sunday service.

11) Discontinuation of the B23 in its entirety

Unless some type of extension (which at least I don't see, on the surface) or other alteration can be done to make the route more useful, I agree w/ getting rid of this route....

Or if (MTA) was smart consider buying 30-foot buses like those used in Westchester County Beeline Bus routes #12 and #18.

12) Discontinuing the B24 on weekends

Agreed... Same situation as the B2 (if not worse)... People simply don't use this route near as much during the weekday, compared to the weekend...

Although I wish they'd come up w/ some way of modernizing this route....

Only riders that might be hurt are those traveling

1)Greenpoint Ave Industry areas and also a chain of new cheaper hotel/motels poping up in that area.

2)Those riders who work at the UPS facility one of the largest in the country.

13) Discontinuing the B39 & the B51 in their entirety

I've been saying, if you're gonna keep both of them, keep both... if you're gonna axe them both, axe them both.... they chose the latter...

The B51 riders especially many in the ADA/Elederly communities who use it can still use the nearby (4)(5) and (R) lines since most stations in that area is actually ADA accessible. I would make the B51 a rush hour route, it does get SRO peak hours mainly from riders going to Crown Heights and other areas of Central Brooklyn who dont want to take the subway.

B39 actually even with the nearby (J) subway gets more ridership than some of the lower usage lines such as the B71 B75 and other Brooklyn bus lines 7 days a week. Plus the Essex Street (J)(F)(M) station is still not ADA which is a shame since that station was only rebulit less than 10 years ago.:tup::mad:

I think the B39 should stay a 7 day week service until Essex is fully ADA accessible but overnight service should be canned. The new hours of B39 should be weekdays 5am-1230am Saturdays 6am-11pm and Sundays 7am-11pm.

Replies in red. Await B35, replies.:cool:

Why the HELL are they reducing the Bx41 to Gun Hill?!! Are they crazy? That bus is packed all the time. It doesnt make sense...

I have to agree with my fellow Bx41 rider. I understand it would make sense, but so many people get on the Bx41 on White Plains Rd to have a direct link to Fordham Road. If the Bx41 starts at Gun Hill Road it probably take 10 minutes or more before the bus actually leaves. They are constantly cutting the Bx41 shorter and shorter and I don't like it. Just keep the Bx55 there at Gun Hill. As for the Bx39, that would be a hell of a ride from end to end in the Bronx.

Having the Bx8 cover Country Club would make that poor route even longer than it already is. Having the Bx5 go in there would make more sense.

The New Bx38 should terminate at Bedford Park with the Bee-Line buses while going up Jerome Av then turning on Mosholu Pkwy following the Bx28 the rest of the way then following the Bx25 in Co-op City.

I have to agree with my fellow Bx41 rider. I understand it would make sense, but so many people get on the Bx41 on White Plains Rd to have a direct link to Fordham Road. If the Bx41 starts at Gun Hill Road it probably take 10 minutes or more before the bus actually leaves. They are constantly cutting the Bx41 shorter and shorter and I don't like it. Just keep the Bx55 there at Gun Hill. As for the Bx39, that would be a hell of a ride from end to end in the Bronx.

Having the Bx8 cover Country Club would make that poor route even longer than it already is. Having the Bx5 go in there would make more sense.

The New Bx38 should terminate at Bedford Park with the Bee-Line buses while going up Jerome Av then turning on Mosholu Pkwy following the Bx28 the rest of the way then following the Bx25 in Co-op City.

The BX41 under its current format is way too long. A compromise could be running a new bus between Wakefield and Fordham. About a decade or so ago(1999/2000) I read somewhere the MTA proposed a new Mt Vernon/Wakefield bus to/from Fordham before it got turned down by then Mt Vernon Mayor.

On the BX39 extension to 241, I agree with the (NYCT) on that idea. It gives WP Road riders a through bus and options for the ADA/senior citizen community since only the Pelham Pwy station on the (2) subway line is ada accessible. You could also 'short turn' the BX39 as well with short trips ending at Gun Hill. If the BX41 is shortned the BX55 should resume all day service to/from Gun Hill as well.

Maybe someone like Cotb who knows the Bronx better can think of the route tracking.

One option imo could be running via current BX41 route between 241 St, Gun Hill, Allerton, then along BX34 route to Fordham Center.

Just my takes.

The BX41 under its current format is way too long. A compromise could be running a new bus between Wakefield and Fordham. About a decade or so ago(1999/2000) I read somewhere the MTA proposed a new Mt Vernon/Wakefield bus to/from Fordham before it got turned down by then Mt Vernon Mayor.

On the BX39 extension to 241, I agree with the (NYCT) on that idea. It gives WP Road riders a through bus and options for the ADA/senior citizen community since only the Pelham Pwy station on the (2) subway line is ada accessible. You could also 'short turn' the BX39 as well with short trips ending at Gun Hill. If the BX41 is shortned the BX55 should resume all day service to/from Gun Hill as well.

Maybe someone like Cotb who knows the Bronx better can think of the route tracking.

One option imo could be running via current BX41 route between 241 St, Gun Hill, Allerton, then along BX34 route to Fordham Center.

Just my takes.

I did think about that idea of a Bx41 route ending at Fordham Center. I think that would be a plus and a good idea.

I did think about that idea of a Bx41 route ending at Fordham Center. I think that would be a plus and a good idea.

For example the current BX41 route would run between 136th/Mott Haven area and Gun Hill Road/Williamsbridge (2) station.

While a new route (for now as reference called the BX61)would run between 241st (2) station and Fordham Center. And in near future, if agreement is reached extended to the Mt Vernon East(Stamford/New Haven (MTA) MNRR station)as well.

With the Bx41, I agree with splitting the route in half. One route, the Bx41 would run from Gun Hill-White Plains to 136th St-Lincoln Av to restore the connection to the (6) train. However, I feel that the Bx55 should be the one going to 138th St instead of the Bx41 since 3rd Avenue is a much busier corridor south of Fordham Road.

As for the northern portion, a route from Mount Vernon to Fordham Plaza doesn't sound that bad. However, do not send it via Bainbridge Av since that area is plagued with double-parking or through Allerton Av since traffic is pretty bad along the park stretch. It's better off along Webster from Fordham to Gun Hill.

Archived