Final planned NYCT Doomesday Bus Cuts-2010

Shortline Bus

I wouldnt have extended the M5 to SF, thats long sh8t! From 178/179th all the way to SF?! Id just extend the M1 there or keep the M6 so it wouldnt be to long. Just like when the M10 use to head to Battery Park , it got split with M20..

I wouldnt have extended the M5 to SF, thats long sh8t! From 178/179th all the way to SF?! Id just extend the M1 there or keep the M6 so it wouldnt be to long. Just like when the M10 use to head to Battery Park , it got split with M20..

I agree and the (MTA)should just run and extend the M1 and M20 7 days a week to/from South Ferry as replacements if the M6 is canned.

Also if the M5 and M6 are merged i hope the (NYCTA) runs limited stop service on the M5 everyday between 14th St/5th and 6th Ave & 72nd St at all times to at least speed service. I would also shortned the northern terminal for a merged M5/M6 to 168th/Broadway as well.

I agree and the (MTA)should just run and extend the M1 and M20 7 days a week to/from South Ferry as replacements if the M6 is canned.

Also if the M5 and M6 are merged i hope the (NYCTA) runs limited stop service on the M5 everyday between 14th St/5th and 6th Ave & 72nd St at all times to at least speed service. I would also shortned the northern terminal for a merged M5/M6 to 168th/Broadway as well.

I think the M5 does, it runs LTD from Washington hts ( I think 168th street) down to 135th Street, Local via Riverside and then LTD all the way down starting at 72/Bway

I think the M5 does, it runs LTD from Washington hts ( I think 168th street) down to 135th Street, Local via Riverside and then LTD all the way down starting at 72/Bway

Mark unless they are changes i was unaware of, the M5 runs limited all days weekdays only between 72nd/Bway and 14th St. The Bway M5 limited between 135th and 168th is rush hours only. I was suggesting if the M5/M6 is approved then limited stop service should be 7 days a week between 72nd and Bway and 14th St.

Mark unless they are changes i was unaware of, the M5 runs limited all days weekdays only between 72nd/Bway and 14th St. The Bway M5 limited between 135th and 168th is rush hours only. I was suggesting if the M5/M6 is approved then limited stop service should be 7 days a week between 72nd and Bway and 14th St.

Why just there? And not the whole line excluding Riverside.

Why just there? And not the whole line excluding Riverside.

The M5 used to i think run all day weekdays few years back along both it's Midtown and Upper Bway routes but i think it was reduced because upper Bway riders in West Harlem, Hamilton Hgts and Washington Hgts complained about the lack of M4 'local' service. And thus only the M5 Midtown portion between 14th and 72nd runs limited all day weekdays. Weekends and Holidays the M5 runs local the entire route.

16) Truncation of the Bx41 & the extension of the Bx39

Sounds nice on the surface.

However, this is an underhanded, incremental way of getting rid of bus service in the future.... With this extension of the Bx39, the MTA can later say, well s**t, guess what... this route parallels ALL the subway service along WPR... It's gonna be a matter of time before there's no local bus service that parallels subway lines... People say that these are "bluffing" tactics the MTA uses to scare riders... Yeah right... I would not be at all surprised if the 39 were to be cut back to Pelham Pkwy during the next string of "doomsday proposals"...

Riders along the Bx39 in generally travel no further NORTH than Gun Hill road, along WPR... (transfers by ppl. b/w the 28/30 & the 39 is proof enough of that)... If there's an influx of 39 riders that are taking the train, or xferring to the 41 to get to points north along WPR, please let me know, b/c I'm not seeing that at all... Certainly it could be a recent trend, but I seriously doubt it.

The 41 takes you to Fordham (a major xfer point), the 39 does not.... the 41 is well used along that part of WPR, and there's little evidence that ppl coming off 39's are seeking to travel along the same parts that the current 41 does.... one of the main reasons I don't think this is too good an idea... If route duration of the 41 is an issue, create short-turns (if the 55 ends @ fordham plz, and sometimes run up to gun hill rd/WPR, there's not a reason in the world why 41's can't end @ fordham rd, coming from the north, and gun hill rd/WPR from the south).... Instead, they want to kill ALL Bx41 service north of Gun Hill....

The idea that Bx39's will be just as crowded along WPR north of Gun Hill, as Bx41's are, is a fallacy... (they'll come to find out the exact opposite)... Webster av, Fordham rd/Fordham plz is far more dense than WPR south of Pelham Pkwy... meaning, less ppl. will be on 39's north of WPR.... and looking at the proposed headways, there will be less BUSES along WPR up there....

Just you watch.

QUOTE]

You have a point. An idea mentioned in another thread that I think is a good idea is to run the limited stop buses up to White Plains Road and have the locals terminate at Gun Hill Road, with an occasional local extending to 241st Street. Riders still keep their access to Fordham Road and the MTA saves money by having buses run at the same frequency along White Plains Road that the MTA wants (double the current frequency).

It does seem suspicious that the MTA is choosing the Bx39 to be extended, in hopes that they can eliminate all service north of Gun Hill Road (or worse, Pelham Parkway). The Bx39 would have a section that parallels the 2 train for almost 3.5 miles.

If the (MTA) had their way and no oppsition, they would in these tough times end all overnight aka 24/7 bus service systemwide and everyone takes the subway imo.

I don't think that will work, because what about people who do not live on a subway line? A customer in Bergen Beach needs to use the B3. Otherwise, it'd be impossible for customers on out parts of Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Staten Island to get home after midnight.

Archived