"As Population Shifts In Harlem, Blacks Lose Their Majority"

EE Broadway Local

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/06//nyregion/06harlem.html

An informative and interesting article from The New York Times about a transition that is happening in Harlem.

According to the Census Bureau, in 2008 Central Harlem (Fifth Avenue to Saint Nicholas Avenue and north of West 110th Street) is now 62 percent (77,000) Black down from 98 percent (233,000) Black in 1950 while Greater Harlem (East 96th and West 106th Streets to West 155th Street, Hudson River to East River) is now 41 percent (153,000) Black down from 64 percent in 1970 and 341,000 in 1950.

My house just shook, I think Sharpton must have read that and fell over.

LOL. Since he ain't fat no more, it must of had been that huge fat head of his, that caused those tremors.........

Black Flight. I say stay, n mix it up. Think of the un-nappy headed kids one could make. Hair like wool is a compliment, cause some of our hair is like burlap. Better put your knee to some of our backs, to get leverage, to get a comb through some of our hair........

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/06//nyregion/06harlem.html

An informative and interesting article from The New York Times about a transition that is happening in Harlem.

According to the Census Bureau, in 2008 Central Harlem (Fifth Avenue to Saint Nicholas Avenue and north of West 110th Street) is now 62 percent (77,000) Black down from 98 percent (233,000) Black in 1950 while Greater Harlem (East 96th and West 106th Streets to West 155th Street, Hudson River to East River) is now 41 percent (153,000) Black down from 64 percent in 1970 and 341,000 in 1950.

BACK TO TOPIC. Sorry if I sound blunt and not be racist but this is the truth that this story EE provided. The fact is American born Blacks as a whole are leaving NYC and the entire northeast US mainly due to the expensive of living in the region. This is from firsthand knowledge from both 2005 Mid decade Census data as i did a major class project for Grad School business class 3 years ago on this topic of 'demographics." Also on personal level, My Dad is Black himself.(Interracial marriage) It should not be surprising that 125th Street, known for about a century now as the home of "Black America' has basically become Disney version of 42nd Street North with Starbucks taking over the neighborhood and not the Apollo anymore.

Some Afro-Americans with long ties to NY, are moving 'back home' mainly south to plces like Fla. the Carolinas, and especially Atlanta, Ga. Source: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ThematicMapFramesetServlet?_bm=y&-geo_id=01000US&-tm_name=ACS_2008_3YR_G00_M00628&-ds_name=ACS_2008_3YR_G00_&-_MapEvent=displayBy&-_dBy=040

Native US Born African Americans are becoming even of a more minority in NYC as well. Black immgrants from the Carribean and parts of Africa now or will soon make up the majrority the population of Black New Yorkers as well. Overall in this country due to population growth especially those Americans with Hispanic and Asian hertiage, Afro-Americans will soon according to Census data will be in 4th place in this country population wise as a racial/ethnic group by mid-century in 2050.

Middle Class people of all ethnic backgrounds as whole are leaving NYC due to its expensive as well. So in closing, it should not be shocking about the changing cultural change in Harlem as well.

I don't care much for Harlem... and quite frankly, black people that I either know, or stumble across that are from there, have a holier than thou attitude... they think (and actually exude in their actions) they're more relevant a black individual than I am simply b/c that's their domain... as if to say, if you're not from Harlem, you're not truly black... or not "black enough"....

*S.M.(f*****g).H*

Yeah, there's definitely an increase in the # of non blacks up there.... Gentrification is taking it's course...

I haven't thought much as to why black flight (nice touch w/ that phrase btw) is happening there.... Could it be that people have grown tired of holding up the right fist for decades on end... or could it be, as Shortline Bus said, a sign of the economic times.

You decide.

I do. I was referring to the part about the number of American-born blacks decreasing. It's like my people are becoming irrelevant.

We're not becoming irrelevant. Do I need to bring up the fact we have a black president? Also a lot of us have chosen to blend in with other cultures as opposed to continuing to reside in projects, and hoods segregating ourselves and living in the past. You need to stop talking like that and move on with the rest of society. I never have and never will want to live in a place that is predominantly one type of race.

When I was growing up, we knew this area of Manhattan as Harlem, Italian Harlem and Spanish Harlem them as Harlem and East Harlem. From the description, "Greater Harlem" includes areas such as Morningside Heights, Manhattanville, Hamilton Heights and a tiny slice of the Upper West Side (West 106th Street to West 110th Street).

BACK TO TOPIC. Sorry if I sound blunt and not be racist but this is the truth that this story EE provided. The fact is American born Blacks as a whole are leaving NYC and the entire northeast US mainly due to the expensive of living in the region. This is from firsthand knowledge from both 2005 Mid decade Census data as i did a major class project for Grad School business class 3 years ago on this topic of 'demographics." Also on personal level, My Dad is Black himself.(Interracial marriage) It should not be surprising that 125th Street, known for about a century now as the home of "Black America' has basically become Disney version of 42nd Street North with Starbucks taking over the neighborhood and not the Apollo anymore.

Some Afro-Americans with long ties to NY, are moving 'back home' mainly south to plces like Fla. the Carolinas, and especially Atlanta, Ga. Source: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ThematicMapFramesetServlet?_bm=y&-geo_id=01000US&-tm_name=ACS_2008_3YR_G00_M00628&-ds_name=ACS_2008_3YR_G00_&-_MapEvent=displayBy&-_dBy=040

Native US Born African Americans are becoming even of a more minority in NYC as well. Black immgrants from the Carribean and parts of Africa now or will soon make up the majrority the population of Black New Yorkers as well. Overall in this country due to population growth especially those Americans with Hispanic and Asian hertiage, Afro-Americans will soon according to Census data will be in 4th place in this country population wise as a racial/ethnic group by mid-century in 2050.

Middle Class people of all ethnic backgrounds as whole are leaving NYC due to its expensive as well. So in closing, it should not be shocking about the changing cultural change in Harlem as well.

Its true Bloomberg has suceeded in driving the american blacks out of New York City because they can no longer afford to live here. My experience is most American Blacks work a civil service job do their 25-30yrs and move south where the cost of living is significantly lower and many young American Blacks have move to Atlanta to find their dreams .

Its true Bloomberg has suceeded in driving the american blacks out of New York City because they can no longer afford to live here. My experience is most American Blacks work a civil service job do their 25-30yrs and move south where the cost of living is significantly lower and many young American Blacks have move to Atlanta to find their dreams .

Great point. It would be impossible to say this even 40 years ago, but Atlanta is becoming the new 'captial' of Black America in the 21st Century and no longer NYC or even Chicago.

Great point. It would be impossible to say this even 40 years ago, but Atlanta is becoming the new 'captial' of Black America in the 21st Century and no longer NYC or even Chicago.

Yes the real state in Atlanta and the suburbs is really reasonable and the houses are gorgeous. In Atlanta you can get a mansion for under 500,000 with a reasonable mortgage as opposed to a million dollar brownstone in Harlem.

Yes the real state in Atlanta and the suburbs is really reasonable and the houses are gorgeous. In Atlanta you can get a mansion for under 500,000 with a reasonable mortgage as opposed to a million dollar brownstone in Harlem.

Not to mention unlike other US major cities with a majority Black population(hello Mayors of Detroit, DC, Baltimore, New Orleans are you listening?)Atlanta is a huge success story. Sure there crime in Atlanta but for a major city it's actually very low.

I been to Atlanta once in my life(Summer 2003) and was very impressed in which there a high number of middle class Afro-Americans, Whites and others who are college educated and doing well rivaling NYC, Boston and San Fransico in that area to get America's best college grads. The only negative as you expect for a Southern US city is that the summers down in Atlanta and that region can be brutal hot.

So that why New Yorkers of all backgrounds are moving to Atlanta, Charlotee, Va Beach/Norfolk, Nashville, Miami, Tampa and all other the Sunbelt area.:(

I do. I was referring to the part about the number of American-born blacks decreasing. It's like my people are becoming irrelevant.

What does race have to do with it? It's about who can and can't afford to stay. There are poor whites too, probably not many in Harlem, but not to say being poor is limited to one race.

Lots of Single Caucasian females who don't have enough of their own men in NYC. Mix it up man.....

Harlem was created because of discrimination, why do people see it in some romanticized view?

- A

If this is the case, I would wonder why myself. People should then see that "others" don't view Harlem as "spooky", and want to be next to those who grew up there (the Harlem born blacks)........

I don't care much for Harlem... and quite frankly, black people that I either know, or stumble across that are from there, have a holier than thou attitude... they think (and actually exude in their actions) they're more relevant a black individual than I am simply b/c that's their domain... as if to say, if you're not from Harlem, you're not truly black... or not "black enough"....

*S.M.(f*****g).H*

Yeah, there's definitely an increase in the # of non blacks up there.... Gentrification is taking it's course...

I haven't thought much as to why black flight (nice touch w/ that phrase btw) is happening there.... Could it be that people have grown tired of holding up the right fist for decades on end... or could it be, as Shortline Bus said, a sign of the economic times.

You decide.

I love when they say, "I'm from Harlem Yo!", like that suppose to mean something.......

I hink its a good thing that change is coming to Harlem.I mean its good in terms of job creation and image,but bad in increase rent and property tax.I mean they just opened an applebees on 125th, a freakin Applebees!!!! So much for rib shacks and BBQ joints!!!

Did anyone hear the floor shake when I fell??????? I needs me ribs and BBQ joi-, oh wait, it is the fried chicken joints I love. Viva La, Kennedy Fried Chicken..........

Archived