The Express Bus: A Vital Service or an Unnecessary Luxury?

Forest Glen

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2nd that NX it's your takes. Just hope Forest Glen does not turn angry over this.:)

Why should he? I doubt he has rode every single express bus line, and he said himself that he's not financially able to ride express buses all the time.

If they're not affecting him he shouldn't worry about it. I understand his compassion for the people who actually use the bus who would suffer but let them handle it.

I thought of like 12 routes that can be removed in Queens and Bronx...but I won't post it unless asked to (lack of energy).

If these are routes that are vastly underutilized or redundant then I agree. If these are routes that have at least 30 people on each bus during rush hour then I disagree.

I'll start with Qns and SI, Bx to come later.

Note: I didn't ride the majority of these buses, so excuse my ignorance.

Note: Only route changes are indicated (as opposed to frequency)

1. Cut the QM16, extend the Q53 via Rockaway Beach Blvd to B147.

2. Cut the QM10.

3. Cut the X63, extend some QM21s to 149/253.

4. Cut the QM4, replaced by a rerouted QM1.

5. The QM1A branch via 73 Av is replaced by the QM1.

6. Cut the QM3, replaced by a local QM2 on Northern Blvd and an extended X51.

7. Cut the QM18, extend the Q9 from Rockaway/Linden to both the current QM18 terminal and to Ozone Park (A) station.

SI-note: based on map as of July '04:(

1. Cut the X6.

2. Cut the X23.

3. Cut the X22 south of Pleasant Plains SIR station.

Also- cut ALL Sunday express bus service. ALL Saturday service will not operate more than once an hour.

Reactions?

2. Cut the QM10.

7. Cut the QM18, extend the Q9 from Rockaway/Linden to both the current QM18 terminal and to Ozone Park (A) station.

1. Cut the X6.

2. Cut the X23.

Also- cut ALL Sunday express bus service. ALL Saturday service will not operate more than once an hour.

Reactions?

Bad idea to cut Sunday Express bus service. The X1 and X10...those should stay. Everything else...get rid of.

Why? X1 can be replaced by the SIR/ferry/(1)

X10 can be replaced by S46/ferry/(1) or (4)(5).

Nah, the X1 and X10 are the most useful express buses in Staten Island. I'm pretty sure those passengers would want to keep their routes rather than take a local bus to a ferry, then to another bus or train.

Why? X1 can be replaced by the SIR/ferry/(1)

X10 can be replaced by S46/ferry/(1) or (4)(5).

NX you talking about a 2-hour plus ride from central SI and even from Port Richmond if you cut sunday/holiday X1 and X10. Plus as S78 a regular and SI resident would say its SRO only sometimes even on weekends.

Plus the BXM7 does get good ridership even on Sundays. Not so much as the other three but on some trips the BXM3 Yonkers/Riverdale line, the BXM1 Riverdale Ave/East Midtown and BXM10 Eastchester/Morris Park seems to get at least 20 riders or more per trip.

NX you admitted you never been on any express bus lines so you should ride them. I been on almost all of them (NYCTA) and (MTA) Bus(not recent in last 6 months or so)so i am aware.

So for Sunday service in worst case doomesday budget scenrio to save other lines.

Bronx lines. Only the BXM1, BXM3, and BXM9 (every 2 hours) BXm7(merged with BXM7a and stops along Bruckner)& BXM10 Eastchester/Morris Park hourly.

During summer holiday season, the BXM11 can run to/from Gun Hill Road/WP Road only and serve the Bronx Zoo. It's a long 20 minute walk from the Pelham Pwy (2) station and the Zoo.

X1(most of day hourly headways Sundays with 30-minute headways during peak periods ie 10am-3pm Manhattan bound and 3pm-8pm SI bound)

X10 Hourly(i think it's already has those headways on Sundays.)

Just my takes.

How many people are going to ride a bus that runs every two hours? IDT that many.

Westchester Bee Line Local Buses in upper westchester and also some (NJT) buses run every 2 hours on the weekend. Its also to accomdate the ada/senior riders as well.

Maybe you right NX maybe every 90 minutes on Sundays but that it for couple of lines mentioned. NX replies to my comments to your proposals.

2. Cut the QM10.

1. Cut the X6.

2. Cut the X23.

Reactions?

1) No

2) Yes

3) More people ride the X63 than the QM21. If anything, the X64 is a borderline route (and this has nothing to do with the fact that I used to ride the X63)

4) You mean the QM1 to Fresh Meadows? Good idea

5) Yes

6) Yes

7) No

The X1, BxM7, and QM1A have decent Sunday ridership

1) No

2) Yes

3) More people ride the X63 than the QM21. If anything, the X64 is a borderline route (and this has nothing to do with the fact that I used to ride the X63)

4) You mean the QM1 to Fresh Meadows? Good idea

5) Yes

6) Yes

7) No

The X1, BxM7, and QM1A have decent Sunday ridership

Dont forget the X10 Mr. wilson.

IMO you shouldn't reroute the QM1 over the QM4 route considering the QM4 is basically empty outside of rush hour. If you reroute the QM1 over the QM4 then it won't get much ridership outside of rush hour. You can't make it a rush-hour only route and then reroute it during off-hours as that would be confusing to the average rider. I'm for rerouting the QM1 via the 73rd Ave. QM1A, but you'd have to find a replacement for the QM1's original route. IMO the QM4 should be rush-hour only.

NX you talking about a 2-hour plus ride from central SI and even from Port Richmond if you cut sunday/holiday X1 and X10. Plus as S78 a regular and SI resident would say its SRO only sometimes even on weekends.

Plus the BXM7 does get good ridership even on Sundays. Not so much as the other three but on some trips the BXM3 Yonkers/Riverdale line, the BXM1 Riverdale Ave/East Midtown and BXM10 Eastchester/Morris Park seems to get at least 20 riders or more per trip.

NX you admitted you never been on any express bus lines so you should ride them. I been on almost all of them (NYCTA) and (MTA) Bus(not recent in last 6 months or so)so i am aware.

So for Sunday service in worst case doomesday budget scenrio to save other lines.

Bronx lines. Only the BXM1, BXM3, and BXM9 (every 2 hours) BXm7(merged with BXM7a and stops along Bruckner)& BXM10 Eastchester/Morris Park hourly.

During summer holiday season, the BXM11 can run to/from Gun Hill Road/WP Road only and serve the Bronx Zoo. It's a long 20 minute walk from the Pelham Pwy (2) station and the Zoo.

X1(most of day hourly headways Sundays with 30-minute headways during peak periods ie 10am-3pm Manhattan bound and 3pm-8pm SI bound)

X10 Hourly(i think it's already has those headways on Sundays.)

Just my takes.

For the Bronx Zoo, many riders from Manhattan usually take the (2) or (5) to West Farms Square.

2. Cut the QM10.

1. Cut the X6.

2. Cut the X23.

Reactions?

1) ...or leave the q53 as it is; those riders you're thinking of displacing, can currently take the q22 from B. 147th, to the qm17 (believe it or not, I do notice qm16 riders {plural} getting off at that first stop along rockaway bch blvd (pm hrs) & crossing the street to take an eastbound q22 )

was that your general idea in wanting to extend the q53?

2) I look at this one differently...

the "qm11" notation shouldn't exist... just consolidate those current qm11 runs into the qm10... as many runs that the current 11 have, doesn't really need to be either....

what i'm saying is, there'll be a qm10 that runs via regular route/headways... and a qm10 that runs the current qm11 route (with only like 3 or 4 runs in each direction per day)... b/c IMO, current qm11 service is excessive...

3) I have a similar idea to this... except I think the x63 is the route that should stay, and certain 63 runs stop dead @ rochdale (most would still go to rosedale)....

4) there are enough qm1 branches as it is...

5) after reading your idea #4, I'm confused... how many qm1 services would you have?

6) disagree.. the qm3 by itself doesn't doing too great along northern enough as it is (there's only, what is it, 3am & 3pm runs a day)... why would you send two express routes running down northern... the idea is to trim big bertha, not make her fat a** bigger... lol...

7) haven't rode the 18 near as much to have an opinion on that route...

the SI ones... lol...

1) iono, I always felt the x6 should run via the FDR... this immediately would take some current midtown riders off the x1...

However, I do think the # of expresses along Hylan should be consolidated, somehow....

2) disagree... as IMO, the x23 is the best designed route down on the south shore... I'd lift the 24 before I would the 23 - it's almost useless along hylan blvd (although it does get decent ridership north of hylan).... if the mta ever takes over AE's x23 & 24.... watch the x19 get re-routed down the length of arden & terminate over there in that little terminal area @ richmond/hylan...

3) I see someone remembers THIS post :P

I don't know if I'd terminate buses @ that juncture, though...

...and I agree w/ everyone else, about keeping the "usual suspects" (I call em), as far as SI expresses go, on sundays....

p.s.... it's 2010 now, bud

I didn't read the whole thread so i apologize in advance if i say something that was already said:

I love express buses but I seriously wish we could go back to the days of MCI Classics because those Cruisers are overkill. Its like a soccer mom driving a Hummer (if that makes any sense). Very few routes are on the highway for that long and even if they are traffic is so bad they cant gain a decent speed. I think Orion NG Suburbans would be fine.

I feel the reason the Bronx has so many express routes is because the subway service sucks. Lex Av lines are always backed up, and with the exception of the Bxm4/6/7A they serve areas where a 10-30 min bus ride is required to the train. I took the Bxm1/2/3 everyday in middle school and the QM1A/X32 in high school and it was just more comfortable and a quicker ride. Plus my aunt is out of YON.

On to the routes

Riverdale/Kingsbridge Hts: The reason for why Riverdale has 4 routes is because the Bxm3 serves the valley and the Bxm1/2/18 serve the hills. You might think it'd be simple to be like have 2 routes up there (1 for the West Side/5th and the Bxm1) but the trek between Riverdale Av and Bway is horrible. Honestly The Bx18 runs should just be split between Bxm1 runs (the super expresses) and the Bxm3 (most people change at 26 st for it). The Bxm2 is just awkward, it gets its riders on 6th Av and then north of CPS its dead. Theres no real way to fix it though. Another issue with the Bxm1 and Bxm3 is that they bunch horribly for no reason in the PM rush. Theres no reason for a Bxm1 via Inwood, via HH Pkwy and Super Express to be within a block of each other and theres definitely no reason for 3 Bxm3's all going to Getty Sq to be in the same light. They need to have some of the BxM3's end at VCS and Bailey and have some buses start dropping off there like the AM service pattern. As for the person who suggested Metro North theres 20-30 min service at the 3 Riverdale stops in the AM so thats a no-go.

QM1/QM1A: The whole routing thing needs to be redone IMO. I'm against a QM4 combo because during rush hours the QM1A gets SRO. It needs to be split into two seperate routes. Call the Lake Success Bus the QM1 and the Glen Oaks bus the QM5. The new QM1 would be the same route as the QM1A NST (there would be 2 runs that serve Downtown during rush hours). The QM5 would use the LIE, start dropping off at 188st/HHE run down 188st to 73rd make a left and follow the current QM1A GO route. The reason for this that the GO bus gets a lot of riders along 73rd Av and its a bit pointless to make it serve Union also. The current QM1 is a waste because most people just get off at Chevy Chase for a GO bus (very few for NST). maybe its just me but the Super Express shouldnt just make 1 pick up in Manhattan it should make all of them but drop off further east because it takes forever traveling to those parts.

QM3: the E/B stops on Northern Blvd in Corona/E. Elmhurst are a waste just combine it with the X51

I really wouldnt mess with the X63 (doesn't it get the most riders out of the x6x routes?)

Thats all for now

Most of them make alot sense. Good thinking Q43.

I didn't read the whole thread so i apologize in advance if i say something that was already said:

I love express buses but I seriously wish we could go back to the days of MCI Classics because those Cruisers are overkill. Its like a soccer mom driving a Hummer (if that makes any sense). Very few routes are on the highway for that long and even if they are traffic is so bad they cant gain a decent speed. I think Orion NG Suburbans would be fine.

I feel the reason the Bronx has so many express routes is because the subway service sucks. Lex Av lines are always backed up, and with the exception of the Bxm4/6/7A they serve areas where a 10-30 min bus ride is required to the train. I took the Bxm1/2/3 everyday in middle school and the QM1A/X32 in high school and it was just more comfortable and a quicker ride. Plus my aunt is out of YON.

On to the routes

Riverdale/Kingsbridge Hts: The reason for why Riverdale has 4 routes is because the Bxm3 serves the valley and the Bxm1/2/18 serve the hills. You might think it'd be simple to be like have 2 routes up there (1 for the West Side/5th and the Bxm1) but the trek between Riverdale Av and Bway is horrible. Honestly The Bx18 runs should just be split between Bxm1 runs (the super expresses) and the Bxm3 (most people change at 26 st for it). The Bxm2 is just awkward, it gets its riders on 6th Av and then north of CPS its dead. Theres no real way to fix it though. Another issue with the Bxm1 and Bxm3 is that they bunch horribly for no reason in the PM rush. Theres no reason for a Bxm1 via Inwood, via HH Pkwy and Super Express to be within a block of each other and theres definitely no reason for 3 Bxm3's all going to Getty Sq to be in the same light. They need to have some of the BxM3's end at VCS and Bailey and have some buses start dropping off there like the AM service pattern. As for the person who suggested Metro North theres 20-30 min service at the 3 Riverdale stops in the AM so thats a no-go.

QM1/QM1A: The whole routing thing needs to be redone IMO. I'm against a QM4 combo because during rush hours the QM1A gets SRO. It needs to be split into two seperate routes. Call the Lake Success Bus the QM1 and the Glen Oaks bus the QM5. The new QM1 would be the same route as the QM1A NST (there would be 2 runs that serve Downtown during rush hours). The QM5 would use the LIE, start dropping off at 188st/HHE run down 188st to 73rd make a left and follow the current QM1A GO route. The reason for this that the GO bus gets a lot of riders along 73rd Av and its a bit pointless to make it serve Union also. The current QM1 is a waste because most people just get off at Chevy Chase for a GO bus (very few for NST). maybe its just me but the Super Express shouldnt just make 1 pick up in Manhattan it should make all of them but drop off further east because it takes forever traveling to those parts.

QM3: the E/B stops on Northern Blvd in Corona/E. Elmhurst are a waste just combine it with the X51

I really wouldnt mess with the X63 (doesn't it get the most riders out of the x6x routes?)

Thats all for now

IMO you shouldn't reroute the QM1 over the QM4 route considering the QM4 is basically empty outside of rush hour. If you reroute the QM1 over the QM4 then it won't get much ridership outside of rush hour. You can't make it a rush-hour only route and then reroute it during off-hours as that would be confusing to the average rider. I'm for rerouting the QM1 via the 73rd Ave. QM1A, but you'd have to find a replacement for the QM1's original route. IMO the QM4 should be rush-hour only.

This, and because if anyone has been to Forest Hills by the Q64, you'd see a ton of people getting on that with empty QM4s, the QM1 should stay as it is because that is one of the heaviest express routes in the system.

1) ...or leave the q53 as it is; those riders you're thinking of displacing, can currently take the q22 from B. 147th, to the qm17 (believe it or not, I do notice qm16 riders {plural} getting off at that first stop along rockaway bch blvd (pm hrs) & crossing the street to take an eastbound q22 )

was that your general idea in wanting to extend the q53?

Yes, they could also use the QM17 as a replacement and xfer to the Q53.

2) I look at this one differently...

the "qm11" notation shouldn't exist... just consolidate those current qm11 runs into the qm10... as many runs that the current 11 have, doesn't really need to be either....

what i'm saying is, there'll be a qm10 that runs via regular route/headways... and a qm10 that runs the current qm11 route (with only like 3 or 4 runs in each direction per day)... b/c IMO, current qm11 service is excessive...

I guess so, I've never ridden the route...

3) I have a similar idea to this... except I think the x63 is the route that should stay, and certain 63 runs stop dead @ rochdale (most would still go to rosedale)....

In other words, rename the new QM21 the X63.

4) there are enough qm1 branches as it is...

5) after reading your idea #4, I'm confused... how many qm1 services would you have?

Here it is:

QM1=From Manhattan, same as current until Jewel & Queens Blvd. Then, it runs via Jewel Avenue all the way to 188 Street & 73 Avenue. Then, it runs via the now-QM1A 73 Avenue branch to the 260 Street/Union Tpke terminal. The QM1A branch via 73 Avenue is removed.

QM1A=From Manhattan, same as current until Union Tpke & 188 Street. Then, all buses continue via Union (no buses turn north) till the current terminal near Long Island Jewish Hospital.

6) disagree.. the qm3 by itself doesn't doing too great along northern enough as it is (there's only, what is it, 3am & 3pm runs a day)... why would you send two express routes running down northern... the idea is to trim big bertha, not make her fat a** bigger... lol...

The QM2 is local on Northern to replace the QM3 there. The X51 is extended its current terminal at 165 Street via the QM3 to Little Neck & Horace Harding Pkwys.

the SI ones... lol...

1) iono, I always felt the x6 should run via the FDR... this immediately would take some current midtown riders off the x1...

However, I do think the # of expresses along Hylan should be consolidated, somehow....

2) disagree... as IMO, the x23 is the best designed route down on the south shore... I'd lift the 24 before I would the 23 - it's almost useless along hylan blvd (although it does get decent ridership north of hylan).... if the mta ever takes over AE's x23 & 24.... watch the x19 get re-routed down the length of arden & terminate over there in that little terminal area @ richmond/hylan...

Why? There's like five other express routes, namely the X24, serving the same region. Also, the S56 to the SIR provides alternate service.

3) I see someone remembers THIS post :)

I actually didn't remember that one when writing my ideas!

I don't know if I'd terminate buses @ that juncture, though...

Why not? Terminate across from the Petland and loop via Bedell Street.

...and I agree w/ everyone else, about keeping the "usual suspects" (I call em), as far as SI expresses go, on sundays....

p.s.... it's 2010 now, bud

Comments?

On to the routes

Thats all for now

Riverdale has three routes (the BxM3 ends in Yonkers). Still, I agree that's overkill. The BxM18 should be eliminated. Instead, a few BxM1's should be extended to lower Manhattan (via the FDR Drive south of 23rd Street).

I've noticed that the QM1A's to Glen Oaks are much busier than the QM1A's to North Shore Towers. I agree with your suggestions.

The QM3 should be combined with the X51

The X63 is much busier than the X64 and slightly busier than the X68 and QM21. It should be left alone.

Yes, they could also use the QM17 as a replacement and xfer to the Q53.

I simply don't agree w/ extending the Q53 to B147th for that (or any other) purpose... the Q53 serves as a substitute for poor rockaway park subway service....

In other words, rename the new QM21 the X63.

If that's how you want to look at it, be my guest....

Here it is:

QM1=From Manhattan, same as current until Jewel & Queens Blvd. Then, it runs via Jewel Avenue all the way to 188 Street & 73 Avenue. Then, it runs via the now-QM1A 73 Avenue branch to the 260 Street/Union Tpke terminal. The QM1A branch via 73 Avenue is removed.

QM1A=From Manhattan, same as current until Union Tpke & 188 Street. Then, all buses continue via Union (no buses turn north) till the current terminal near Long Island Jewish Hospital.

Jewel av is one way eastbound, east of 164th....

what "clever" diversion would manhattan bound qm1's take?

The QM2 is local on Northern to replace the QM3 there. The X51 is extended its current terminal at 165 Street via the QM3 to Little Neck & Horace Harding Pkwys.

keep the QM2 as is.... get rid of the QM3... extend the x51 to LNP/HHE...

Why? There's like five other express routes, namely the X24, serving the same region. Also, the S56 to the SIR provides alternate service.

there isn't a direct relationship b/w express bus riders & local bus riders; doesn't work like that, especially in SI... if you think express bus riders (esp. in that part of SI) are gonna disembark a bus, for another local bus (the S56, which runs @ horrible headways), you are mistaken... No other way to put it....

and to "like 5 other express routes"... exactly...

I'm telling you now, current x24 usage along Hylan, compared to the rest of its route (in Annadale & Arden Hgts) - the difference is night & day.... whereas, usage on the x23 is consistent throughout its routing in SI...

the x1 & the x4-8 siphons the ridership along Hylan b/w the stretch that the x24 currently does...

Why not? Terminate across from the Petland and loop via Bedell Street.

b/c the x22 still gets riders in Tottenville, along Amboy rd....

As for the X24, all of the buses along Hylan offer more options of places to go in a more direct form. The X5 goes to Midtown via the FDR Drive, which I'm sure is the main route that riders choose over the X24. In addition, riders also have the choice of buses to Lower Manhattan in addition to more optionsin Midtown (along 6th Avenue).

For the section along Arden Avenue, the S56 comes every half hour during rush hours (correct me if I'm wrong), so in many cases it might just be quicker to walk. With the long distance to Manhattan, those riders want a one-seat ride. Think about it, you pretty much get your own soft comfortable seat and you can sleep or finish a report, as opposed to the bus/train/ferry combo. Plus, the people in that section of Staten Island are pretty well-to-do, so the extra $3.25 isn't really a big deal to many of them.

You don't need the X24 on Hylan Blvd. There are a plethora of express bus routes that use Hylan. In fact, the X24 is at a disadvantage because it stops on the opposite side of the other peak direction express bus routes so riders heading to midtown have to choose betweent the X24 and X5.

Bronx ideas:

1. eliminate MOST Sunday service

2. Cut the BxM7B, use other forms of transport (like Bx29 to (6) or BxM7)

3. Cut the BxM9, once again, use the Bx8, Bx40, or Bx42 buses to the (6) or BxM7)

4. Cut the BxM18.

These are not express bus, but:

1. Make the Bx42 a limited-stop-ONLY between Morris Heights MetroNorth and Randall Avenue/E Tremont Avenue. Use the Bx40 for local service. Headways are obviously changed.

2. Cut the Bx2, make all Bx1 local buses go via the Bx2 current route, terminating at both current Bx2 terminals. The Bx1 limited makes all stops south of 149 Street (2)(4)(5) and west of Ft. Independence/Sedgwick.

In a nutshell:

Bx2 limited eliminated.

Bx2 locals renamed Bx1 local.

Bx1 limited runs local wherever there is no local service.

Archived