The Express Bus: A Vital Service or an Unnecessary Luxury?

Forest Glen

My question to you is....

Do you think the BM3 should be entirely cut on saturdays?

....Because I have to tell you, reading this post of yours, it still sounds like you're on that anti-express bus kick again (even though you said that wasn't your entire stance on express buses)...

it's like you continue to think of any little way to eliminate them.... pondering this, and your prior posts on x-buses, your M.O. seems to be that of...

local bus-to-subway > express bus.

Sometimes, that's not always the case, bro.....

Maybe not, but if there's not that many people riding it, why run half filled buses to Midtown when people should take a local alternative to the subway or transfer for the Bm1? I'm just saying... budget crunch and all that lines have to be cut back if not well used - this also applies to local buses and subways.

The BM3 still has to make all stops anyway, the only difference with a 'local' would be it would force people to transfer to another line or the subway than giving them a one seat ride.

It's the weekend, they should be happy to have any service at all. It's either that or car service/drive to where they need to go.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it such a terrible thing that people have to transfer? It's not like I said cut all the lines. Even with subways people still have to transfer.

If there was no budget crunch, then sure: run all the service you want. I just feel if there are lines not used to their potential, then they should be cut back to the point where the bare minimum is left.

So, would you rather have Bm3s at 1.5 hr* headways or 'local' buses every 45 min? Which would you choose?

*I know it is hourly service, but that is still too much.

lol....

It aint about people having to transfer....

The problem I see with you is that, the "bare minimum" is to not have the things on the road at all... Why else would you bring this up:

they would need a local alternative to serve that area and would act as a subway feeder line like the B31. The line should go to the Kings hgwy stop so people can take the Q to go to Midtown and then they don't need to run the Bm3.

Oh, and my answer to your little question there... I'd have both.

For me, it aint about the express bus vs. the local bus....

I wouldn't replace express buses (in general), in telling people to take the local bus to the subway.

Which was a suggestion, not saying they should replace it outright. But who's to say a local bus can't be better or worse than the express bus line? They only have the express bus there [meaning that's the only choice they have] compared to Gerretson with the B31 and Bm4.

So fine: a local bus [consisting of the O5 CNGs] to another express bus line then. Ie: consolidate the services.

lost me with that last statement....

and I'm the last person on here that'll defend the existence of the BM4...

I'm not gonna reiterate which express buses I think should remain untouched, which services should be reduced during some part of the weekday and/or weekend, and which should get cut outright....

• 4 weeks later...
I lol at this post..let see you know who going to bust a nut over this post lol

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=193932

R30A is 100% correct. They really should shitcan every single express bus route except for the X1 and X10 because those routes are extremely useful and see more ridership than any other express route.

They REALLY should consider cutting more express bus service before cutting subway service because they are more of a luxury than a means, which is why the price is high. Not many people can even afford to ride it so what's the point???

R30A is 100% correct. They really should shitcan every single express bus route except for the X1 and X10 because those routes are extremely useful and see more ridership than any other express route.

They REALLY should consider cutting more express bus service before cutting subway service because they are more of a luxury than a means, which is why the price is high. Not many people can even afford to ride it so what's the point???

errone

errone

LOL, I was only kidding with ya there, admit that I had ya :)

HOWEVER, there are some cuts that I do agree with here, even the subway cuts (don't come at me yet)...Grand Concourse and I are kinda on the same page when it comes to the elimination of the (W), but there is more to than just reducing operating hours to a route: it also involves the trainsets that will be freed up thatveould have to take the slack. This goes the same for the express routes. I find it stupid that they want to cut the X1 back to 23rd Street during rush hours...in some ways it does make sense (passengers have a chance of getting a seat because Midtown stops make a lot of pickups) but why would the TA want to mess with the highest-used express route??? That's the only thing I don't understand. I also need to look at the route of the X6 and see it's structure and if cutting that route is a good idea.

The bulk of the X1's ridership is between Union Square and Fulton/Broadway. Not that many X1 riders get on in midtown (at least not during rush hour when there are other quicker options to Hylan Blvd). This cut sucks, but I wouldn't call it devastating.

I read that post. R30a is the ultimate hypocrite jack@ss. He complains about express bus riders being elitists yet he rides the LIRR. He's just another Weinberg stooge.

Well the LIRR is another alternative for those who don't want to drive into the city and be burdened with traffic delays in a car, so in the typical sense I'll have to disagree with you. However the LIRR is the luxury version of Long Island Bus while Express buses are the luxury version of the subway and local buses. Again, it's what you pay for, so if you have the money to splurge on express buses then go ahead. Every once in a while I splurge on an express bus so I don't mind paying the extra fare but I can only pay the 3.25 add-on if I have it, which I usually do.

Well the LIRR is another alternative for those who don't want to drive into the city and be burdened with traffic delays in a car, so in the typical sense I'll have to disagree with you. However the LIRR is the luxury version of Long Island Bus while Express buses are the luxury version of the subway and local buses. Again, it's what you pay for, so if you have the money to splurge on express buses then go ahead. Every once in a while I splurge on an express bus so I don't mind paying the extra fare but I can only pay the 3.25 add-on if I have it, which I usually do.

Except that in portions of Queens, the LIRR parallels some of the NYCT lines. The Port Washington Branch parallels the Q12 bus once it gets to Queens, and then stops near the Flushing-Main Street station, and the Main Line stops near the Queens Blvd Line, while once the lines get past Jamaica, they stop near lines like the lines on Merrick Blvd.

In a sense, it is similar to an express bus for Queens riders since there are softer seats and less crowding, as well as higher fares.

The bulk of the X1's ridership is between Union Square and Fulton/Broadway. Not that many X1 riders get on in midtown (at least not during rush hour when there are other quicker options to Hylan Blvd). This cut sucks, but I wouldn't call it devastating.

The way I see it, The bulk is between 42nd Street & Downtown Manhattan.

• 2 weeks later...
But even still, the X9 runs the same route on Staten Island up to New Dorp. South of that, it is mostly served by the X7 route.

Which is true, but the x9 goes on the West Side Highway, serving people along Battery Park City & The World Financial Center. The x9 gets a pretty decent bulk of passengers in that area.

Except that in portions of Queens, the LIRR parallels some of the NYCT lines. The Port Washington Branch parallels the Q12 bus once it gets to Queens, and then stops near the Flushing-Main Street station, and the Main Line stops near the Queens Blvd Line, while once the lines get past Jamaica, they stop near lines like the lines on Merrick Blvd.

In a sense, it is similar to an express bus for Queens riders since there are softer seats and less crowding, as well as higher fares.

With the way it's used, you'd think LIRR Pt. Washington is part of the NYC subway system... especially w/ the situation @ Great Neck & the N20/21 (both directions)....

Just thought of a comment one person (not on this forum, or on any forums anymore, from what I understand) actually made a statement saying that the Pt. Washington branch is, what the (7) line should be... I wouldn't go that far though (figuratively & literally).... lol...

Which is true, but the x9 goes on the West Side Highway, serving people along Battery Park City & The World Financial Center.

The x9 gets a pretty decent bulk of passengers in that area.

yep.... and the x7 does as well...

on both points you just made for the x9.

over there on houston & greenwich... what is it, the x6,7,9, & 10 IIRC... they all take that path you speak of....

I'll go onto say that the x10 picks up the least, around WFC...

yep.... and the x7 does as well...

on both points you just made for the x9.

over there on houston & greenwich... what is it, the x6,7,9, & 10 IIRC... they all take that path you speak of....

I'll go onto say that the x10 picks up the least, around WFC...

I forgot to mention that the x9 is the only New Dorp route that serves that area. All the other New Dorp areas go either on the FDR or along Broadway. The x6 & 7 gets most of the passengers going to Staten Island from WFC/Battery Park City.

Archived