The Express Bus: A Vital Service or an Unnecessary Luxury?

Forest Glen

yep.... and the x7 does as well...

on both points you just made for the x9.

over there on houston & greenwich... what is it, the x6,7,9, & 10 IIRC... they all take that path you speak of....

I'll go onto say that the x10 picks up the least, around WFC...

I forgot to mention that the x9 is the only New Dorp route that serves that area. All the other New Dorp areas go either on the FDR or along Broadway(x2 via FDR, x3 via Broadway/Downtown Route & I forgot the rest, if any). The x6, 7 & 9 gets most of the passengers going to Staten Island from WFC/Battery Park City while the 10 goes either down Broadway or goes via the West Side Highway.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I forgot to mention that the x9 is the only New Dorp route that serves that area. All the other New Dorp areas go either on the FDR or along Broadway(x2 via FDR, x3 via Broadway/Downtown Route & I forgot the rest, if any). The x6, 7 & 9 gets most of the passengers going to Staten Island from WFC/Battery Park City while the 10 goes either down Broadway or goes via the West Side Highway.

yep, you nailed it... it's just those 3 routes.... the x2, 3, & the 9 that ends over there by those apt. complexes in New Dorp.... The x24 ends on tysens/hylan in the general vicinity about 3-4 long blocks away, but that route's for the south shore folk anyway...

speaking of those x10's that travel along the west side hwy... I wonder if there's any rhyme or reason as to why they all don't travel along broadway (since that's where the ridership is)... for the most part, those x10's that serve WFC don't leave manhattan all too crowded at all...

The X6 and X7 aren't that far from New Dorp. They are no further than the X24 is on Hylan Blvd.

As for the X10s, the purpose is probably to be just like the X2 and X5 on the east side, since West Street moves faster than Broadway. When the X10 service to Travis started (it later became the X11), the MTA probably figured that, since the X11 is picking up the passengers on Broadway, the X10 can bypass that section and give midtown riders a faster ride.

The X10/X11 share the same route until Richmond Avenue, and the people in Lower Manhattan who need to go further north can take the X12 (until Forest Avenue) or transfer from the X11 to the S44/S59.

Archived