The Express Bus: A Vital Service or an Unnecessary Luxury?

Forest Glen

Leroy, I agree with you about taking artics for some crowded express bus lines. For those, I would also think should be converted with suburban seats as those would be used for express bus service.

Absolutely. WIth the opening of Charleston it should hopefully ease the overcrowding at Yukon. Furthermore, Charleston may get artics as well because if the S79 SBS is still on the table it will have to.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also the Novas are going to displace the older artics, unless the Bronx and Manhattan displaces some 40' buses. So it probably would be a good idea to convert some of those hf artics for express service.

I have a gut feeling that Staten Island may be a high candidate for those D60HFs then as soon as Charleston opens.

That would probably be a good thing. I don't know how well those lf artics can handle SI's roads.

Right now, the only routes that I see would benefit from artics would be the S59, S74, S78, S79, S84 and (maybe) the S89, the routes that would either be transferred from Yukon to Charleston in it's entirety or be split half and half.

The X90 should stay until the Second Avenue (T) is up and running merge the X25 with the X90 reviving the X92

X92 serves Grand Central right on Madison Avenue & 42nd right on Madison & 57th to regular route

Of course the x90 will be staying so as most of the routes. MTA is bluffing,

Merging x90 w/ x25 will only adds a couple riders.

also wanna bring up that, someone else mentioned in another thread on here that express routes w/ the more heavier ridership levels should resort to using artics w/ suburban seating.... I suppose the point is, it's not (or shouldn't have to be) set in stone that NYC solely uses the D4500's... Yeah, it's nice to ride on 'em, but none of our express buses are really "long distance" routes..... there are other avenues of cutting costs... that I'll agree with....

Folks lets be honest: the QM4 doesn't need suburban seating. The X90 would be fine with a NG with cushioned seats. If this would placate the express bus haters then I'm all for it. I still think that the longer routes like the X22 would need the MCI's.

Folks lets be honest: the QM4 doesn't need suburban seating. The X90 would be fine with a NG with cushioned seats. If this would placate the express bus haters then I'm all for it. I still think that the longer routes like the X22 would need the MCI's.

Since were all about being honest here....

How do you determine what route "needs" suburban seating?

Since were all about being honest here....

How do you determine what route "needs" suburban seating?

Speaking on the issue for myself. If i was i was in charge of the MTA.

The MCI's should be used for when the travel time from terminal-terminal is over 1 hour and average ridership on all is over 20 riders weekdays.

The suburban seating should be used for trips that are under 1 hour or has average ridership of less than 20 riders weekdays. The (MTA) should from this point only buy in future a limited amount of MCI's and more 40-foot coaches for lower used express buses and also a small artics as well for busier lines like the X1 and X10.

The MCI 40-foot buses bulit in the mid 1980's lasted for 20 years on the former private bus lines citywide before the (MTA) takeover.

The NG or the new smaller 40-foot MCI's used on the Bee Line BXM4c with suburban seating imo would be perfect for example on rush hour express routes like the X25(if it survives)X90, X29, BXM4a/b and BXM18 and weekend/off peak trips on the BXM2 X17, X28 and X29 for instance with lighter ridership.

Just my takes.

I'll use the BxM11 as an example. The BxM11 parallels the (2) train. I think it should at least run during rush hours. The (2) train is slow and overcrowded. People have to stand by the time it reaches Pelham Parkway. The (2) makes all local stops until 96 street. From 241st to 96 street is at least 45 minutes. Even if they switched to the (5) express at East 180 street or 238/Nereid, the (5) crawls on Lexington Avenue. It also gets crowded. On the BxM11, however, you can sit and relax. There's no stress, crowding, rats, or panhandlers.

There are some express bus routes that are clearly a waste (X20,X25,QM22). There are other routes that should only run during rush hour (BM4,QM4, the aforementioned BxM11). Nevertheless, most express bus routes are the lifeblood for working class New Yorkers who live in the suburbs and commute to the city.

Question? Did my comment on the thread about about the routes that were being eliminated make you think, yes there are some routes that are clearly a waste? Staten Island needs their Express buses. That is a fact. The only option for them is, car (SIE and BQE is a nightmare already), the Ferry (can only handle but so much), and buses (helps relieve the crowding on the Ferry that would be if there were no buses). I am just happy to know you realize that all Express buses are not needed, and that some are needed rush hours only. Actually all routes that parallel any Subway line should be ran rush hours only, unless it is a subway line that is crowded off peak hours to. I do not know of any subway lines that are packed off peak, and I work the Lexington Lines, where we still have room off peak. Of course those who live in areas, where there are no subways, need the express buses, unless there are local buses that can get them to the train. Might take a bit longer to get to work off peak, but one just have to adjust, and leave earlier.......

I don't think express buses are a luxury, cause there are no restrooms on them to make them a luxury. Some are just unnecessary to run at all, and some do not need to run during non rush hours. If people want routes run that do not have the ridership, or have subway service that can get them where they need to go during the non rush hour, let the fare off peak subsidize the ride. $15 fare off peak. Again, this excludes express buses that are truly needed off peak. The Grand Concourse Express BxM4A or 4B, isn't needed at all off peak............

$15 fare off peak.

Why raise the fare during non-rush hours? The current fare is fine. If the route isn't needed during rush hours, then it simply shouldn't run. If needed, make sure the headways are spaced accordingly. It's that simple.

Why raise the fare during non-rush hours? The current fare is fine. If the route isn't needed during rush hours, then it simply shouldn't run. If needed, make sure the headways are spaced accordingly. It's that simple.

I know that. I'm talking about those who want certain routes to run, that anyone with sense sees need not run. Remember, I said only those routes that do not need to run, but people want them for the convenience for themselves. The BxM11 does not need to run off peak. But those who insist it runs, I insist pay $15 per person, to run the service off peak. They would be on the train then, and the service would be eliminated off peak...........

I know that. I'm talking about those who want certain routes to run, that anyone with sense sees need not run. Remember, I said only those routes that do not need to run, but people want them for the convenience for themselves. The BxM11 does not need to run off peak. But those who insist it runs, I insist pay $15 per person, to run the service off peak. They would be on the train then, and the service would be eliminated off peak...........

That I can agree with. If they want their express bus service during the non rush hour period, they should have no problems in paying more for the ride. Otherwise the buses shouldn't run at all during the midday hours if there aren't many people taking them.

Ex [not using actual numbers or fares]: Like if it costs $200 and only 10 people are riding it, then everyone should pay $20. But if 40 people are riding, then everyone pays $5.

Playing devil advocate. What about areas in the outerboros DOB2RTO that live near subway stations that are still not ADA accesible? Such as in SW Brooklyn near the (D)(N) and (R) lines on the X27/28 and the Bronx where most of the stations on the (1)(2)(4)(5)(6) and (D) lines are not ada accessible?

Access a Ride is a joke where the disabled/eldery pay way above average fares than paying the half fare of $2.75 currently riding an (MTA) express bus to/from Manhattan.

But none of us here are express bus haters.

The Grand Concourse Express BxM4A or 4B, isn't needed at all off peak............
IAWTP. The BxM4A should just be canned since it directly mirrors the (4) and riders can just use the (4) in the Bronx. The BxM4B serves a more remote area so it should be run during rush hours only.

IAWTP. The BxM4A should just be canned since it directly mirrors the (4) and riders can just use the (4) in the Bronx. The BxM4B serves a more remote area so it should only be run during rush hours only.

Agrees to a point with those comments. The BXM3 which also runs nearby could be also be slightly rerouted to serve areas of the the BXM4a that would lose service. Still i would consider Saturday service as well but no more Sunday service. The BXM3 and BXM4c (boarding at McClean/Central Ave) would be alternatives.

Also imo, there no need for bus service along Grand Councourse south of Fordham Road. I would have the BXM4 (no more 'a' or 'b' branches) run via Major Deegan, Fordham, Councourse than current routing to Woodlawn/Yonkers border on McClain Ave/Kantonah. Just my takes.

That I can agree with. If they want their express bus service during the non rush hour period, they should have no problems in paying more for the ride. Otherwise the buses shouldn't run at all during the midday hours if there aren't many people taking them.

Ex [not using actual numbers or fares]: Like if it costs $200 and only 10 people are riding it, then everyone should pay $20. But if 40 people are riding, then everyone pays $5.

This is not the issue. A certain Subchatter (cough***R30A***cough) proposed eliminating ALL express bus service. The X63 around my area runs rush hours only. The QM21 runs rush hours and has limited midday and evening service. Neither route runs on weekends. I'm ok with that.

IAWTP. The BxM4A should just be canned since it directly mirrors the (4) and riders can just use the (4) in the Bronx. The BxM4B serves a more remote area so it should be run during rush hours only.

Doesn't the Bx16, and Bx34 go there, and can bring the people down to the 4 train off peak???????

This is not the issue. A certain Subchatter (cough***R30A***cough) proposed eliminating ALL express bus service. The X63 around my area runs rush hours only. The QM21 runs rush hours and has limited midday and evening service. Neither route runs on weekends. I'm ok with that.

Don't lump me in with what others think. Though I do agree with him, I have never outright stated all routes should be cut. Ridership is what should justifiy keeping/cutting a route. And you are only pointing out routes you know of, that is not the same of routes all across the city.

Playing devil advocate. What about areas in the outerboros DOB2RTO that live near subway stations that are still not ADA accesible? Such as in SW Brooklyn near the (D)(N) and (R) lines on the X27/28 and the Bronx where most of the stations on the (1)(2)(4)(5)(6) and (D) lines are not ada accessible?

Access a Ride is a joke where the disabled/eldery pay way above average fares than paying the half fare of $2.75 currently riding an (MTA) express bus to/from Manhattan.

If a local bus gets them to an ADA station, take the local bus, to that station. The (2) has the Bx39, and then the Bx19. The (1) has the Bx9, then the Bx7, M100, M101, etc. The (4)<4> has the Bx32, and the (6)<6> has the Bx4. The Bx1/2 parallel the (D) for the length of the Concourse. As for the other boroughs, same thing. If a local bus gets them to an ADA station off peak, they should have to use it. They do not like being treated as disabled, so they can get there like an able body person. Now in the rare situation, that is would really be a hassle for them, cause they would have to make 2 bus transfers to get to an AD station, well use the joke Access-A-Ride. An express bus route carrying 50 people a day, should not run cause 1 ADA person gets on that route daily. You don't run a 45ft coach for that. I don't want to inconvenience an ADA person, but running something that weights 44,000lbs, and gets 3-4mpg, ain't worth it, for the sake of 1. If two ADA persons got on the same bus daily, that has crappy ridership numbers, then I would say run it. You got two, and only run that interval off peak..........

Archived