The Express Bus: A Vital Service or an Unnecessary Luxury?

Forest Glen

This is not the issue. A certain Subchatter (cough***R30A***cough) proposed eliminating ALL express bus service. The X63 around my area runs rush hours only. The QM21 runs rush hours and has limited midday and evening service. Neither route runs on weekends. I'm ok with that.

Unless something changed, some BM routes are like that to. There is a need for express bus service, no doubt about that. Just each route has to be looked at, and decided how to better utilize that route. The X1 isn't the same as the BxM4A and 4B. Heck the X1 possibly has higher ridership numbers than some local routes. It wouldn't surprise me if it's numbers were higher than the Bx20.........

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If a local bus gets them to an ADA station, take the local bus, to that station. The (2) has the Bx39, and then the Bx19. The (1) has the Bx9, then the Bx7, M100, M101, etc. The (4)<4> has the Bx32, and the (6)<6> has the Bx4. The Bx1/2 parallel the (D) for the length of the Concourse. As for the other boroughs, same thing. If a local bus gets them to an ADA station off peak, they should have to use it. They do not like being treated as disabled, so they can get there like an able body person. Now in the rare situation, that is would really be a hassle for them, cause they would have to make 2 bus transfers to get to an AD station, well use the joke Access-A-Ride. An express bus route carrying 50 people a day, should not run cause 1 ADA person gets on that route daily. You don't run a 45ft coach for that. I don't want to inconvenience an ADA person, but running something that weights 44,000lbs, and gets 3-4mpg, ain't worth it, for the sake of 1. If two ADA persons got on the same bus daily, that has crappy ridership numbers, then I would say run it. You got two, and only run that interval off peak..........
I totally agree! The w/c rider should not be a reason to run an express bus, if they need to get somewhere, that's what the access-a-ride is for. Hell running a limo would be better than to run a D4500 for that 1 person.

Terrible idea due to competition on the Subways, Q60 just needs short turns and fixed its schedules.

Thats a terrible reason to disqualify a bus route from getting BRT. Select Bus service isn't going to pull mass amounts of people out of the subway, by that logic the M15 shouldn't be select bus due to the incoming (T) and the (4)(5) and (6) being nearby.

Don't lump me in with what others think. Though I do agree with him, I have never outright stated all routes should be cut. Ridership is what should justifiy keeping/cutting a route. And you are only pointing out routes you know of, that is not the same of routes all across the city.

I couldn't agree with you more. The X1 doesn't deserve to be in the same cutting pool as the X23. And just because a bus mirrors a subway line (Like the BxM11 vs. (2)) doesn't exactly make it useless. Each bus route should be closely examined by its ridership and have that used as a determining factor. Also, maybe the MCI's (as much as I like them) are too much bus for our express routes to be operating. Command didn't have any problem with their RTS's and Orion 5s, and maybe the (MTA) should consider smaller buses for future use (Like high floor Nabi's, or anything that's not an Orion 7).

I totally agree! The w/c rider should not be a reason to run an express bus, if they need to get somewhere, that's what the access-a-ride is for. Hell running a limo would be better than to run a D4500 for that 1 person.

Access-A-Ride is horribly managed. Too many different outfits, going to every borough. Drivers get lost, and stuck in traffic. MTA needs to improve on that service, big time........

I agree, but the cost to run a 'van' is far cheaper than a commuter bus. The drivers do need to be trained for sure. Maybe have MTA bus drivers drive them?

What about the model used in Westchester with Bee Line and Nassau' (MTA) LI Bus for their access a ride programs? I think all of the drivers are TWU employees but are both full and part time. Would the NYC TWU agree to 'part time drivers though?'

Mini vans should be used especially if 2 or more ada riders are going to or near the same location.

Thats a terrible reason to disqualify a bus route from getting BRT. Select Bus service isn't going to pull mass amounts of people out of the subway, by that logic the M15 shouldn't be select bus due to the incoming and the and being nearby.

I agree with you on that....

....and it's not the first time I read someone say something along those lines.... I had a discussion on here regarding the proposed B44 SBS, and someone actually sat up there & believed that ppl. would abandon taking the 2/5, for the B44 SBS.... I don't see the logic behind that either....

Sir, where is your thank-you button when I need it?:mad:

If a local bus gets them to an ADA station, take the local bus, to that station. The (2) has the Bx39, and then the Bx19. The (1) has the Bx9, then the Bx7, M100, M101, etc. The (4)<4> has the Bx32, and the (6)<6> has the Bx4. The Bx1/2 parallel the (D) for the length of the Concourse. As for the other boroughs, same thing. If a local bus gets them to an ADA station off peak, they should have to use it. They do not like being treated as disabled, so they can get there like an able body person. Now in the rare situation, that is would really be a hassle for them, cause they would have to make 2 bus transfers to get to an AD station, well use the joke Access-A-Ride. An express bus route carrying 50 people a day, should not run cause 1 ADA person gets on that route daily. You don't run a 45ft coach for that. I don't want to inconvenience an ADA person, but running something that weights 44,000lbs, and gets 3-4mpg, ain't worth it, for the sake of 1. If two ADA persons got on the same bus daily, that has crappy ridership numbers, then I would say run it. You got two, and only run that interval off peak..........

You would justify an express route for two ADA riders? I would need at least 12 of them to consider saving that run.

BTW: 3-4 mpg????? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Access-A-Ride is horribly managed. Too many different outfits, going to every borough. Drivers get lost, and stuck in traffic. MTA needs to improve on that service, big time........

I agree 500%.

Thats a terrible reason to disqualify a bus route from getting BRT. Select Bus service isn't going to pull mass amounts of people out of the subway, by that logic the M15 shouldn't be select bus due to the incoming (T) and the (4)(5) and (6) being nearby.

Tell me how long will they finish completing the the T line from 125 down by Hanover Sq? The 4, 5, 6 lines are 2 to 3 long blocks away, 1st and 2nd Avenues have the market of M15 which has the largest ridership.

The Q60 have the other hand competes directly to the Queens Blvd line and the Flushing line. Q60 does not need the fancy SBS, they need Limited Stops.

I agree with you on that....

....and it's not the first time I read someone say something along those lines.... I had a discussion on here regarding the proposed B44 SBS, and someone actually sat up there & believed that ppl. would abandon taking the 2/5, for the B44 SBS.... I don't see the logic behind that either....

You gotta be kidden if living under the rock. The Q60 SBS is going to be a joke, you still competing with the subways that run along most of the line. Q60 Limited would be a good idea. There are better candidates for SBS in Queens other than Q60.

You gotta be kidden if living under the rock. The Q60 SBS is going to be a joke, you still competing with the subways that run along most of the line. Q60 Limited would be a good idea. There are better canidates for SBS in Queens other than Q60.

lol....

slooow down speedy gonzalez.... I said NOTHING about a Q60 SBS....

I agreed with the notion in Nova's post, that people would not abandon taking the subway, for SBS.... that's all & that's it...

capiche?

comprende?

get it? got it? good.

What's so wrong about SBS for the Q60? Sure maybe limiteds would be enough, but the QB and Flushing lines are pretty crowded and could use something to take off even a handful of the crowds.

Buses can not handle the crowds of the subway lines. Plus the majority of the subway riders goes to Manhattan. Q60 has mixed ridership along the long line. Its best to convert the whole route into Limited and cut the local line route in half.

lol....

slooow down speedy gonzalez.... I said NOTHING about a Q60 SBS....

I agreed with the notion in Nova's post, that people would not abandon taking the subway, for SBS.... that's all & that's it...

capiche?

comprende?

get it? got it? good.

Slow down you mental incompetent, if you really think for a second or maybe a whole day for you, you could get a clue how BRT works. Maybe you should stop being a smartass for one thing and show some more creditability on your hand.

Slow down you mental incompetent, if you really think for a second or maybe a whole day for you, you could get a clue how BRT works. Maybe you should stop being a smartass for one thing and so some more creditability on your hand.

I could get a clue on how BRT works? You don't know what I know....

The problem is, that last reply I made, made you look absolutely dumb there... with you directing a post at me, going off on a tirade about SBS on the Q60... when I made no mention of the Q60 in that post you quoted of mine.... it's just eating away at you... you just had to make some type of comeback to make yourself feel less... wrong.

it's very much evident you're feeling some type of way over that exchange we had in that SI bus thread...

get over it already.

Calm down. I made this thread so there could be a CIVIL and OBJECTIVE discussion about express buses. Leave this ghetto behavior out of the discussion.

Get this thread back on topic then... it's not even about express buses anymore.

Tell me how long will they finish completing the the T line from 125 down by Hanover Sq? The 4, 5, 6 lines are 2 to 3 long blocks away, 1st and 2nd Avenues have the market of M15 which has the largest ridership.

The Q60 have the other hand competes directly to the Queens Blvd line and the Flushing line. Q60 does not need the fancy SBS, they need Limited Stops.

You gotta be kidden if living under the rock. The Q60 SBS is going to be a joke, you still competing with the subways that run along most of the line. Q60 Limited would be a good idea. There are better candidates for SBS in Queens other than Q60.

Yes the Q60 competes directly with the (R)(V)(7) and soon to be gone (G), but its still a crowded bus route even with the subway under it. The logic that the presence of a subway route automatically disqualifies a bus route from BRT service doesn't make any sense at all. This doesn't mean throw some MVMs along Queens Boulevard and put some artics in Queens, but the high ridership on the bus route does deem it necessary for some additional service that may include SBS.

So let me ask you, when the (T) is built, does that mean the M15 will no longer need SBS?

I could get a clue on how BRT works? You don't know what I know....

The problem is, that last reply I made, made you look absolutely dumb there... with you directing a post at me, going off on a tirade about SBS on the Q60... when I made no mention of the Q60 in that post you quoted of mine.... it's just eating away at you...

it's very much evident you're feeling some type of way over that exchange we hand in that SI bus thread...

get over it already.

I got over it, apparently you didnt over it. Face it, you clearly dont know how BRT works. That is fine, I could take your stupid insults like the SI thread that I did not even bother look back and quoting you on it. I already made my point on it.

I got over it, apparently you didnt over it.

Face it, you clearly dont know how BRT works. That is fine, I could take you stupid insults like the SI thread that did even bother look back and quoting you on it.

"You gotta be kidden if living under the rock."

Your words directed at me.

If you can tell me where I directed ANY post at YOU in THIS thread before you made that snide ass remark, I'll stand down.

...and as far as SBS goes, believe what you want, about what you think I don't know....

I have nothing to prove to you, or anyone else on here.

I got over it, apparently you didnt over it. Face it, you clearly dont know how BRT works. That is fine, I could take your stupid insults like the SI thread that I did not even bother look back and quoting you on it. I already made my point on it.

SInce you seem to be the master of bus rapid transit, why don't you explain it to those who you feel don't know about it then instead of hyping up flameage?

SInce you seem to be the master of bus rapid transit, why don't you explain it to those who you feel don't know about it then instead of hyping up flameage?

Im not the master, and I dont really care that anymore. Some certain member do care ask him.

I know that. I'm talking about those who want certain routes to run, that anyone with sense sees need not run. Remember, I said only those routes that do not need to run, but people want them for the convenience for themselves. The BxM11 does not need to run off peak. But those who insist it runs, I insist pay $15 per person, to run the service off peak. They would be on the train then, and the service would be eliminated off peak...........

$15 at off peak would discourage ridership.

It would be better to raise the peak fare since most express riders do ride on during the rush hour.

Im not the master, and I dont really care that anymore. Some certain member do care ask him.

You're the one stirring up a fuss with B35 for no reason. For what it's worth, he seems to have more credibility than you, so there's no need for me to direct that question to him.

Guys can we please give respect to Forest Glen. The issue of SBS should be another topic altogether and feel free to chat about there.:mad::tdown:

In case anyone missed it.

I will shifting to Kings County:(. Any views about the Brooklyn express buses the X27, X28, X29 and BM1-5? Reactions on the (MTA) plan to can the 'X29 or the super express'X37/38 lines via the FDR Drive?

Also why is the BM4 not even listed for any forms of cuts at least canning Saturday service?

I used the X63 for three years while I attended City College. I would take the bus from Merrick/Farmers to 3rd/42nd. I would then switch to the (7) to 5th Avenue and then the (D). I saw the same faces everyday. It was a close-knit community. I always said "Good Morning" to the driver. On the last weekday before Christmas there was a little "party". People gave each other Christmas cards and shared donuts.

SN851102.jpg

BTW to the OP, The BO should decorate the SI express buses because its almost a party.

I agree with Shortline Bus that they should consider cutting hours or cutting weekend or Sunday service on the Brooklyn express routes, or NYC Express routes in general, IF there is low ridership and other alternatives. I would agree with the BM4 if it's practically empty as you can use the B31.

Archived