The Express Bus: A Vital Service or an Unnecessary Luxury?

Forest Glen

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think B35 is right, politics is a factor by the in these proposals as well. I dont think it an accident that the BM4 riders is respresented by State Senator Carl Kruger one of the most members in entire state. And thus the BM4 was untouched despite its low ridership.

Yep, its disgusting (and quite sad) that some routes (local or express) are being untouched (routing-wise or schedule-wise) simply b/c they run in areas that have higher political clout over the other.... and the areas w/ little to no political pull, it's like, well, their opinion doesn't matter at all... such is life :(

I will shifting to Kings County:(. Any views about the Brooklyn express buses the X27, X28, X29 and BM1-5? Reactions on the (MTA) plan to can the 'X29 or the super express'X37/38 lines via the FDR Drive?

Also why is the BM4 not even listed for any forms of cuts at least canning Saturday service?

right now I'll just state my opinion on the x27-29, 37, 38.....

- I don't agree w/ cutting the x29 outright... at worst, it should run rush hours only (from like 6-9am.... then from like 5-7:45pm).. something like that....

But I would suggest that they cut buses from Stillwell/Surf, to Neptune/West 5th... The last like, 10 times I rode the x29 (to nathans), I was the ONLY person that got off at the Stillwell av station - EACH time.... That's not coincidence.

(this is very recent, w/i the past 6 months I've rode that route, including this past thursday...)

- Hell, they can get rid of the x37 & x38 "notation".... But I think they can still have like 2 x27 runs, each hour, during rush hrs, that bypasses lower manhattan

(in other words, 2 x27's that would run via FDR dr. sometime b/w 6-7am, 2 x27's via FDR dr. sometime b/w 7-8am, 2 x27's via FDR dr. sometime b/w 8-9am... Same deal during the PM rush hrs.)....

^^ and the same theory/idea would go for x28's via Fdr dr.

I do agree in that, there's not that much of a need for as many x37/x38 runs as there currently are.... Ultimately what I'm saying w/ all this is, quite a bit of x37/x38 runs should be cut...

Regular x27 and x28 service, they can kill some of the runs during the off peak hrs (especially on the 28); from what I depict, there's slightly more ridership on the x27 (over the x28) during off peak hrs... both are still low, though....

by the way, I'm strictly talking weekday service in the paragraphs above....

Weekend service on the x27/28... Saturday service can remain (although they would not run near as often as they currently do)... Sunday service should be discontinued for both those routes...

I think B35 is right, politics is a factor by the (MTA) in these proposals as well. I dont think it an accident that the BM4 riders is respresented by State Senator Carl Kruger one of the most members in entire state.:eek: And thus the BM4 was untouched despite its low ridership.

Son of a ... that is not right at all, the BM4 has no justification period.

I can understand the need for Express bus service in the A.M. & P.M. But midday Exp bus service ( 11:00 A.M.to 4:00 P.M) with low ridership is a complete waste. Especailly when some routes overlap current local routes that feed subway lines. I can name one specific example.Qm1/1A overlapping;Q17,Q88,Q75 and Q46.This is just one example of many.

I can understand the need for Express bus service in the A.M. & P.M. But midday Exp bus service ( 11:00 A.M.to 4:00 P.M) with low ridership is a complete waste. Especailly when some routes overlap current local routes that feed subway lines. I can name one specific example.Qm1/1A overlapping;Q17,Q88,Q75 and Q46.This is just one example of many.

This I will agree with. Hardly anyone uses the QM4 middays. However, I'm afraid that if they cut midday express bus service then the express bus haters will get greedy and want more (like cutting all express bus service).

No.Keep the express buses,since we spent a kajillion dollars on MCI`s and vikings.They come in handy when certain subway routes are in trouble.And besides cutting express bus service would only make Knight Rider angry and we all don`t want to see that.:P

Would you rather cut subway and local bus service which impacts many more people and leaves fewer service alternatives? Also, if you cut express buses then that means you get to retire the older aging MCI fleet from as way back as 1997, and reduce the fleet creating even more savings.

This I will agree with. Hardly anyone uses the QM4 middays. However, I'm afraid that if they cut midday express bus service then the express bus haters will get greedy and want more (like cutting all express bus service).

That shouldn't matter. I don't know who here you classify as an "express bus hater" since no one has proposed unreasonably cutting any express bus routes yet. Also, even if a few people have their certain opinions doesn't mean it affects you or the (MTA) in any way.

I think some very good posts were made in this thread, regarding the subject matter....

I've come to the conclusion that no matter what we say about express buses on here, none of its gonna sink through to him, since he's so focused on trying to change the minds of (or otherwise, tryna get through to) the express bus hater.... the last group of people you try to reason with, are haters.

It's a lost cause... I'm tired of conveying my thoughts to people who are gonna continue to have preconceived notions in their heads about a particular topic... If/When one express route actually gets discontinued, it sure as hell won't be the cause of some dude on the sideline that thinks ALL new york city's express buses are a flat out waste of resources....

Furthermore, if dude REALLY wanna reach out to the express bus haters on subchat, or wherever else, go on there and address them personally... I forget who said it in here, but, don't unfairly group us in a category that quite frankly, isn't that apparent on this forum....

I think some very good posts were made in this thread, regarding the subject matter....

I've come to the conclusion that no matter what we say about express buses on here, none of its gonna sink through to him, since he's so focused on trying to change the minds of (or otherwise, tryna get through to) the express bus hater.... the last group of people you try to reason with, are haters.

It's a lost cause... I'm tired of conveying my thoughts to people who are gonna continue to have preconceived notions in their heads about a particular topic... If/When one express route actually gets discontinued, it sure as hell won't be the cause of some dude on the sideline that thinks ALL new york city's express buses are a flat out waste of resources....

Furthermore, if dude REALLY wanna reach out to the express bus haters on subchat, or wherever else, go on there and address them personally... I forget who said it in here, but, don't unfairly group us in a category that quite frankly, isn't that apparent on this forum....

Good post. I don't think anymore needs to be said.

I'm not that much of an express bus rider anymore since I moved out of Canarsie (too expensive and no need to) nor do I care about them, but while I was there I only took the BM2. This post is only about the BM2 from my experience...

The BM2 does get crowded, but only during rush hours (mainly p.m). During middays its a total waste of money cuz its like 7 people on it. So I'm my opinion, it should be a rush hour only route and here are my 2 reasons...

-The Manhattan-end runs on 5/Madison Avs from 23-57 Sts. The (6) train is like 1-4 blocks away depending on the location of the (6) train.

-The Brooklyn-end copies the B103 exactly stop-to-stop as soon as it gets onto the Prospect Expwy.

There are alternatives to the BM2 like these...

-Take the (4) or (5) to Borough Hall or Nevins St & take the B103 from there.

-For those going past Flatbush junction, they can take the (5) to Flatbush Av and take the B103

-For the Canarsie riders, they can take the (L) to Rockaway Pky and take either the B6 (local AND limited IMO) ot the B82.

Sure people lose a 1 seat ride to Manhattan, but it saves $2.25. And at the same time, they can increase service on the B103 to make up for it.

...BTW the X25, 32, and 90 aren't really needed...turn them into interborough limiteds (wasn't the X32 supposed to do that anyway?)

I don't understand why they would still need to run express buses during the middays at all. Rush hours, yes, but if there are other routes that mirrors or takes riders to their destination, they should take those. The express bus is not their 'limo'.

Agreed. Only those routes that operate 7 days a week/ or with high ridership should run middays with 1-hour headways. There no need to run buses especially like all of the Bronx/Yonkers express routes like BXM1 BXM2 BXM3 BXM10 BXM11 with 30-minute headways middays during.

a) Only the X1 and BXm7 should have 30 minute headways 10am-3pm weekdays and Saturdays. Sundays both of these routes should run every hour imo.

b)All other 'express routes' that run middays weekdays and even on Saturdays/Sundays should run on headways every 60-90 minutes.

There enough ridership on the BM2 to run all day Weekdays and also on Saturdays. However it should return to the PRE (MTA) takeover Saturday schedule of buses running every 90 minutes Manhattan Bound 6am-6pm(late Saturday evening service between 7-9pm should be canned imo) and Brooklyn Bound service runs 830am-10pm only.

Ditto for Saturday X17 and X27/28 service. It should only run on Saturdays with a similar limited schedule as the BM2 every 60-90 minutes Manhattan Bound 6am-6pm and Brooklyn/SI Bound 830am-10pm. Currently both the X27/28 and X17 runs every 30 minutes most of day on Saturday and every hour the last few trips of the day.

That way too much service.:eek:

And last point for me on Rush hour super X27/28 express trips is this. There enough riders to keep at least some 'super express' X37/38 FDR Drive trips but riding it a few times(most recent about 2 years ago on last X38 Brooklyn Bound 820pm from 57th-Sea Gate on Friday Nite & only had about 10 riders)but someone made a good suggestion that X37/38 should be cut but not totally disappear. X37/38 should be only for a few trips at peak of rush hours say Manhattan Bound 630-8am and Brooklyn Bound 4-6pm.

While the X29 should also run only about 3-4 trips a day each direction in same time period as X37/38 operates as well. Just my takes on mostly the Brooklyn express buses.:confused:

FYI. Here the link of current schdule )Jan 2010)for some of the express routes in question. Thus a better judgement on headways could be made.

SW Brooklyn (X27/37, X28/38 X29 and X25 Grand Central-Lower Manhattan routes.

http://mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x025cur.pdf

BM1 http://mta.info/busco/schedules/bm001cur.pdf

BM2 http://mta.info/busco/schedules/bm002cur.pdf

BM3 http://mta.info/busco/schedules/bm003cur.pdf

BM4 http://mta.info/busco/schedules/bm004cur.pdf

Staten Island

X10 http://mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x010cur.pdf

X17/X19 http://mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x017cur.pdf

Lol! They aren't getting their money's worth ;) But point is, they should be happy a bus shows up. I remember one time someone posted a pic [on subchat] of an O7 used on an express bus route as they were short a bus. I think it was a Queens route.

They use the 07 on QM 18.

Im with all of those who say that the Express buses that don't warrant enough ridership needs to be cut. It's all about money and as much as I hate to see any service cut, if there are literally 10 people riding a bus everyday, why are they wasting money operating a line like that? The (MTA) needs to do what is necessary here. I hope cuts are to a minimum.

I think someone mentioned the following in another thread a while ago, but how about contracting express bus service?

Good, bad, ugly?

Sorry to sound rude but Tricknologist did you read all of the topic at all?

Also if you did contract all NYC express bus some questions

1)How do Staten Island riders get to Manhattan many that live far away from the ferry?

2)Ditto for residents of Queens, Bronx and Brooklyn far away from a subway?

3)Also the disabled and wheelchair riders as well?

1)How do Staten Island riders get to Manhattan many that live far away from the ferry?

2)Ditto for residents of Queens, Bronx and Brooklyn far away from a subway?

The same way they do now. Dip in their MetroCard and ride the bus to Manhattan, except the bus won't be in MTA livery. Doesn't Atlantic Express lease 2 routes from the MTA, or something along those lines?

3)Also the disabled and wheelchair riders as well?

Same way they do now...

So instead of being an "unnecessary luxury" costing more to operate under the MTA, let them contract out the routes and the oversee the operation. If it proves to be a cheaper alternative, express bus riders won't lose and neither will the MTA.

The same way they do now. Dip in their MetroCard and ride the bus to Manhattan, except the bus won't be in MTA livery. Doesn't Atlantic Express lease 2 routes from the MTA, or something along those lines?

Same way they do now...

So instead of being an "unnecessary luxury" costing more to operate under the MTA, let them contract out the routes and the oversee the operation. If it proves to be a cheaper alternative, express bus riders won't lose and neither will the MTA.

Tricknologist that not a horrible idea of having the express buses be 'private' but the (MTA) 'contract' out the routes instead of the NYC DOT for the private lines before 2005. Its done in many cities right now and maybe should be looked at.

I thought Tricknologist was calling for the end of all interborough express service.:confused:

Yes, the X23 and the X24 are operated by Atlantic Express. The (MTA) was going to take over operations but I think that's been shelved since the recent budget crisis.

Good. This way I can enjoy my ride on the X63 without being bombarded by anti-express bus vitriol.

Yeah, except you aren't being bombarded by anti-express bus vitriol.

Archived