SEPTA Pt 2

R142

The least expensive way is probably NJT (NEC) to Trenton, connect to Septa regional rail to get to center city Phila. That could take up to 3 hrs. All regional rails connect thru Market East, Suburban Stn and 30th St. Or you can take Amtrak direct to 30th St. ($$$) - 1 1/2 - 2 hr. 5 trolley lines (some go thru 30th St) and are above ground west of 40th St depending on the line as well as Market-Frankford El which goes from Frankford to 69th St (elevated after 40th St). At 69th St, you also have the Norristown Hight Speed Line and Rt 101 & 102 trolley.

Broad St subway all underground till you reach Fern Rock terminal.

Septa may have a day pass which would allow you to travel all over the system. Let me know when you might come down.

HTH

best, Richard

I suppose that depends on what you feel is important. I would go to the Septa website and look at their route maps. Trains will get you to 30th St, (to see Amtrak) then the Frankford El to 69th St (and the El does have RFW), then backtrack to catch the trolley (subway-surface cars) - Girard Ave is probably the best. And you have your choice of regional rails.

When are you planning on coming down?

Septa has a train directly to the airport (where I work & can show you around) and of course, you have to get a Philly Cheese Steak. Center city also has the Liberty Bell which is worth seeing for the history. You'er gonna have a busy day ;)

Another way to get to Philly from NYC is to take the NJT RiverLine from Trenton (which is $1.35) and transfer to any NJT bus going to Philly or PATCO. PATCO is an excellent rail line which goes from Lindenwold, NJ to Philly. It has an RFW with a seat in front of it so you could sit down while looking out. Don't worry if the front seat is taken, you get an excellent view from the second or third seat. It also gives you spectacular views of the Deleware River and Philly since it goes over the Ben Franklin Bridge.

If you are going to transitfan in Philly, take some time to ride some PATCO! SEPTA also has trackless trolleys too which run on the 59, 66 and 75 lines.

Archived