Bus Stops Blossom in Tottenville

Forest Glen

Please don't turn this into another "Express Bus Sucks" thread. If you don't have anything nice to say then don't post in this thread

http://www.silive.com/news/advance/index.ssf?/base/news/1264850108215370.xml&coll=1

Bus stops blossom in Tottenville

Saturday, January 30, 2010

By MAURA YATES

ADVANCE STAFF WRITER

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Tottenville bus riders will have another transit option starting Monday, as Atlantic Express's AE7 service expands to nine new stops in that neighborhood.

The route now will include stops along Hylan Boulevard between Seguine Avenue and Carteret Street. The AE7 also includes stops along Amboy Road and at the Pleasant Plains park-and-ride, and Victory Boulevard and Glen Street, before it travels through New Jersey to Midtown

The service expansion will allow Atlantic Express to cover more of the demand for buses among South Shore commuters.

"Atlantic Express is proud to serve the people of Staten Island and expand our popular express bus service at a time when Staten Islanders greatly need more reliable and cost-effective transportation options into and out of Manhattan," said Domenic Gatto, president and CEO of the Port Richmond-based Atlantic Express Transportation Group.

A round-trip ticket on the AE7 costs $12, compared to $11 on an MTA express bus. But Atlantic Express riders can opt to purchase a frequent-rider discount "Platinum Club" membership, which costs $228 for 46 trips, working out to $4.96 each way.

The AE7 runs along the West Shore Expressway and across the Goethals Bridge to the New Jersey Turnpike. It transits the Lincoln Tunnel to its first stop in Manhattan, at 34th Street and Ninth Avenue, before traveling up Madison Avenue to the last stop, at 59th Street.

Riders can find two coupons for a free one-way ticket in tomorrow's Sunday Advance.

For more information about the new schedule, or for ticket information, call 718-556-8117, or visit http://www.atlanticexpress.com

It looks like the X22 has competition. I'm glad commuters in the South Shore have another option.

I'll try to break it down/shed some light for those that don't know too much about that part of SI, regarding x-bus service....

When riders find out about this, over time, x22's will end up being less packed... that's a good thing.... those riders (Tottenville) won't be at the mercy of the x22 anymore.... two, Tottenville riders get direct service to Manhattan pretty much w/ this added service on the AE7... this is a win-win situation, the way I see it....

If any of you ever taken the x22, the "meat" of the ridership isn't in Tottenville anyway... it's b/w the stop off Arthur kill rd. & points along Bloomingdale rd.... that isn't to say people don't use it along Amboy rd b/c they do - it's just not as strong as you'd might expect... x22 usage along Hylan, far as I can recall has never been great - and this is where AE swoops in w/ their smart move to add those stops along Hylan...

as far as that stop on Seguine (say it w/ me now... "suh-guyne"), x23 will be okay... those riders stem from the Park & ride over @ Huguenot, so there's less of a chance of people abandoning x23's for AE7's.... they're out of the same company anyway, but I thought I'd still make the point.... this is more about an added option for current x22 riders... that stop @ Hylan/Page only exists for turnaround purposes... virtually no one uses that stop... and those that do, have someone drive them to that stop for the x22, from points east along Hylan.... but even that is rather rare; the only thing around there is a baseball field... not too great a place to wait for a bus; feels very desolate...

You & I both know it does...

However, when you're talkin about that part of SI, those people would rather swim to Manhattan over taking the SIRT, or the Ferry... Let them embark/disembark on/off express buses as their option of getting to/from Manhattan.

I'm not going to get into what services are wasteful & what aren't in this thread..... AE & the MTA are separate entities...

I specifically said that I didn't want this to turn into an express bus sucks thread.

Well if you cannot handle criticism, then don't come out of your cocoon. In this case MegaBus came up with a valid point.

My counterpoint is that there may not be any time savings with the train + boat + subway, especially if one just misses a boat. Express buses in this case can provide a convenience to the community.

Well if you cannot handle criticism, then don't come out of your cocoon. In this case MegaBus came up with a valid point.

My counterpoint is that there may not be any time savings with the train + boat + subway, especially if one just misses a boat. Express buses in this case can provide a convenience to the community.

Thanks You!

If people dont like express buses or what ever they desire then people have to respect it!

Just like Forest Glen hating on Non-Express bus routes or fleets. Like who cares..

And Grand Concourse never said anything bad about the Exp bus or mentioned from when he posted his response...

Archived