IRT Train Arrival Time Boards Discussion

R32 3348

wow ive been too all of the stations with the signs on and i dont know where you got that kinda out come i seen people look at it and sit down and wiat and when the thing says the next train is arriving now it does all the time with little or no problem i dont know what you seen but people dont like looking into a dark tunnel too see a dark tunnel when the next train is more than 8 mins away at times check my videos i put up on youtube

First, you need periods in your post.

Second, you must not have survey all the stations recently. Just today, I witness most of the number lines in Brooklyn competently not correct or dont work at all.

Thirdly, you have gotta be kidding. You havent witness a person stepping inside orange line or yellow tact tile board lean towards the tunnel to see if the train is coming even with or without the arrival time electronic board?

how many times have i said and even others said this, this CBTS PA CIS system was paid for over 10 years ago 11 now this was way bacl in 1999 and 2000 when they was doing the new trains and stations in the capital plans than not just last year or so this was ten years in the works they just ran into alot of software problems back in 2004 and 2005 they people they hired too do this was going too be done back in 2006 look it up i been watchen this come up ever since i was in high school back than but yea this isnt new this is old they just got the system too work in this very big system NYCT

God, you need to fix up your grammar. They still waste money in this shitty economy with hiring low bid bad contractors. This technology is not new. Its decades old with other small / large systems already have it now... even half a century old with old technology like at Dekalb Av station (:P(Q)(M2)(R) station, the next train arrival line is still reliable to this day.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Second, you must not have survey all the stations recently. Just today, I witness most of the number lines in Brooklyn competently not correct or dont work at all.

Thirdly, you have gotta be kidding. You havent witness a person stepping inside orange line or yellow tact tile board lean towards the tunnel to see if the train is coming even with or without the arrival time electronic board?

if you check out my videos of them in the bronx and manhatten you will see they did work, and yes i know brooklyn isnt on or working 100% just yet, they are working on it now that i know, they did a good job on the 6 in the bx if you come up here and check them out they will never be off any min because they are just about done with the software. i have vids up showing this so if you want too see them just go too my page chrisjct on youtube.

if you check out my videos of them in the bronx and manhatten you will see they did work, and yes i know brooklyn isnt on or working 100% just yet, they are working on it now that i know, they did a good job on the 6 in the bx if you come up here and check them out they will never be off any min because they are just about done with the software. i have vids up showing this so if you want too see them just go too my page chrisjct on youtube.

I really dont care to see your vids. I rather see it in person as if this system works or not. So far, NOT. Even some Manhattan stations; the signs incorrectly placed the wrong arrival times. It is work in progress but this project hits snafus over the years. The timing on this project that is still working is really bad and could have waited until MTA has money.

Ive read most of this thread and seen mostly critism. Yes we've done well without this technology for 100 years but get with the times, its the 21st centure and the 2nd Millenium. Its time for change. Second, these new ones on the IRT seem to be a hell of a lot more helpful to passengers than the ones on the (L).

God, you need to fix up your grammar. They still waste money in this shitty economy with hiring low bid bad contractors. This technology is not new. Its decades old with other small / large systems already have it now... even half a century old with old technology like at Dekalb Av station (:P(Q)(M2)(R) station, the next train arrival line is still reliable to this day.

that system isnt like this one, this system is a tracking system that follows the train not like the old one that can lose the train in between signals. this system is new as well its just about a 3 years old because the old one they where going too use for us wasn't good for this system, this system NYCT is way more complexed than any other in the world and this is a countdown clock system not all systems use that they may just show you the time the train should arrive but not how long until the next one comes. its not a wast if you need ifo and cant get it underground this will change the way we do things here. i for one want too see how it looks 2 3 years from now, ive been too other countries that have this and let me teel you we as a country are way behind the 8 ball.

Ive read most of this thread and seen mostly critism. Yes we've done well without this technology for 100 years but get with the times, its the 21st centure and the 2nd Millenium. Its time for change. Second, these new ones on the IRT seem to be a hell of a lot more helpful to passengers than the ones on the (L).

thank you for seeing that, and yes we do need too change its the 21st and we still have 100 yo technology and its so sad too see how people here in the city hate the idea of change, i mean people in other counties work together too change things that way they have 300 mph trains in Japan and in countdown clocks all over the world but here in NYC people cant get alone too do anything.

I really dont care to see your vids. I rather see it in person as if this system works or not. So far, NOT. Even some Manhattan stations; the signs incorrectly placed the wrong arrival times. It is work in progress but this project hits snafus over the years. The timing on this project that is still working is really bad and could have waited until MTA has money.

they paid for this over 10 years ago, did you see that post i put up, this is long paid for years ago most stations had the signs up but off for years now. well if you dont want too see the vids than thats you but i seen this up and running in the bx for months now and now that the rest of the city is now coming online they will be up and running just like the 6 in the BX, and people here love it i dont see as many people looking over the edge anymore here and in parts of Manhattan where this is up.

that system isnt like this one, this system is a tracking system that follows the train not like the old one that can lose the train in between signals. this system is new as well its just about a 3 years old because the old one they where going too use for us wasn't good for this system, this system NYCT is way more complexed than any other in the world and this is a countdown clock system not all systems use that they may just show you the time the train should arrive but not how long until the next one comes. its not a wast if you need ifo and cant get it underground this will change the way we do things here. i for one want too see how it looks 2 3 years from now, ive been too other countries that have this and let me teel you we as a country are way behind the 8 ball.

Uh, that system is actually has similarity noted what line is arrived. Actually I should have mention, almost all stations inside the main entrance area actually has the old black information crawling electronic box in which when it notes next train arrives at the platform with the beep sound. It is actually is reliable. The new boards still need to fix the bugs yet it still hits with snafus.

they paid for this over 10 years ago, did you see that post i put up, this is long paid for years ago most stations had the signs up but off for years now. well if you dont want too see the vids than thats you but i seen this up and running in the bx for months now and now that the rest of the city is now coming online they will be up and running just like the 6 in the BX, and people here love it i dont see as many people looking over the edge anymore here and in parts of Manhattan where this is up.

Yet they hit with roadblocks and getting a crappy contractor to do this job. I also blaming on the MTA management for not getting this system on timely fashion. Here in Brooklyn, no one really like it when its not working properly at almost all numbered line stations.

Until I see improvements on almost every station has they board setup fine / working properly and reading other members in this or other forum that is working then I would change my mind except at the present time. MTA is a wasteful agency that is still spending, like this one when they are cutting service and layoff workers.

BTW, you need to multi-quote your post, for the third time.

I agree with you except at the present time. Its not worth to spend on new system to hook up and fixed the bugs when we are in the budget crisis and service reduction plus layoffs. This is a want not a need that is really useful yet we still lean towards the platform edge to see the train is coming. Some look even at inside the main entrance area to see the train is arriving a moment in which we still have that and almost convenient. They really need to hold it off until MTA has the money in which they dont.

Uh, that system is actually has similarity noted what line is arrived. Actually I should have mention, almost all stations inside the main entrance area actually has the old black information crawling electronic box in which when it notes next train arrives at the platform with the beep sound. It is actually is reliable. The new boards still need to fix the bugs yet it still hits with snafus.

Yet they hit with roadblocks and getting a crappy contractor to do this job. I also blaming on the MTA management for not getting this system on timely fashion. Here in Brooklyn, no one really like it when its not working properly at almost all numbered line stations.

Until I see improvements on almost every station has they board setup fine / working properly and reading other members in this or other forum that is working then I would change my mind except at the present time. MTA is a wasteful agency that is still spending, like this one when they are cutting service and layoff workers.

BTW, you need to multi-quote your post, for the third time.

I agree with you except at the present time. Its not worth to spend on new system to hook up and fixed the bugs when we are in the budget crisis and service reduction plus layoffs. This is a want not a need that is really useful yet we still lean towards the platform edge to see the train is coming. Some look even at inside the main entrance area to see the train is arriving a moment in which we still have that and almost convenient. They really need to hold it off until MTA has the money in which they dont.

well they finished here in the bronx now so if you want too see how bk will look when they are done with the software than come take a look, bk just got them on and it will take time too bring them up too 100% like they are up here in the bx. they work very good here, and yea it does suck that they arent at 100% there in bk, but i seen this here in the bx and they got them working after a few months of software work. so just wait a few they will get it working there too. it just takes work.

the bronx and the one at 157th street is working at 100% that i know of, im ask them when they think the other ones will be working at 100% later this week ok ill post it. so far they been rite about the time line in the bx and in manhatten because they work even on the rush hour here so now they are working on the other lines..

Thts the problem with the world today. Money this and money that. I bet if money didnt play a role in construction and progress, we'd have colonies on the moon by now. But, back to topic, they are getting these boards up pretty fast compared to normal (MTA) standards. I guess they want to get out of the way since the system is several years overdue. Now if only they could work that fast with the SAS.....

I guess I'm in the minority concerning these boards. Yes, when they're up and fully functional they will be a good addition, although a cosmetic one IMO. We now have quite a few new tech trains out there. The train makes audio and visual announcements. They give local and express info, routing info, and destination yet many riders don't have both oars in the water anyway. They can't figure out where the train directly in front of them is going yet some posters actually think Joe Airhead is going to understand the boards. C'mon. My thinking is along the lines of "is this going to make my train come any sooner"? The answer is a resounding no. I think they'll end up becoming magnets for the "artists" to spray paint if anything. With the service cuts proposed the boards will tell me I have to wait 30 minutes for a train instead of 20 minutes late nights. How is this helping me ? I still have to wait. I'd also like to know who is going to maintain them once they're up and running?. Maybe the (MTA) will hire contractors to do the job. And raise the fare to cover the expense. Don't get me wrong. This is the 21st century but I think the (MTA) has more important things to do to improve the daily commute. Paid for or not, it's still cosmetic and not vital.

Thts the problem with the world today. Money this and money that. I bet if money didnt play a role in construction and progress, we'd have colonies on the moon by now. But, back to topic, they are getting these boards up pretty fast compared to normal (MTA) standards. I guess they want to get out of the way since the system is several years overdue. Now if only they could work that fast with the SAS.....

Pretty fast? It is really slow roll out, they havent roll out to the letter lines yet.

I guess I'm in the minority concerning these boards. Yes, when they're up and fully functional they will be a good addition, although a cosmetic one IMO. We now have quite a few new tech trains out there. The train makes audio and visual announcements. They give local and express info, routing info, and destination yet many riders don't have both oars in the water anyway. They can't figure out where the train directly in front of them is going yet some posters actually think Joe Airhead is going to understand the boards. C'mon. My thinking is along the lines of "is this going to make my train come any sooner"? The answer is a resounding no. I think they'll end up becoming magnets for the "artists" to spray paint if anything. With the service cuts proposed the boards will tell me I have to wait 30 minutes for a train instead of 20 minutes late nights. How is this helping me ? I still have to wait. I'd also like to know who is going to maintain them once they're up and running?. Maybe the (MTA) will hire contractors to do the job. And raise the fare to cover the expense. Don't get me wrong. This is the 21st century but I think the (MTA) has more important things to do to improve the daily commute. Paid for or not, it's still cosmetic and not vital.

Im with you on this 100%.

As a daily (L) train rider, the boards there are actually accurate, plus or minus a minute.

What happened to trains 2, 3, and 4?

What it does is that it shows the next 5 trains to come, but it shows the 2nd-5th trains to come on the bottom line the top line will always show when the next train is comming

As a daily (L) train rider, the boards there are actually accurate, plus or minus a minute.

What it does is that it shows the next 5 trains to come, but it shows the 2nd-5th trains to come on the bottom line the top line will always show when the next train is comming

The (L) boards are fairly accurate now, I have to say. Everytime I take it, it reads the correct time.

i spoke too some of the techs that worked on the PA CIA SYSTEM on the IRT and they said the other lines will not have the same system at all the CBTS train tracking system will come too them but the countdown boards will not be like the ones on the IRT. and they wont have it up and running untill late 2016 or later, they dont have it in any capital plans.

Pretty fast? It is really slow roll out, they havent roll out to the letter lines yet.

I meant on the IRT. And when i said fast, just a couple of weeks ago, barely any were on. Now they're at about 25 stations with them now? Theyre beggining to spread like a virus.

I meant on the IRT. And when i said fast, just a couple of weeks ago, barely any were on. Now they're at about 25 stations with them now? Theyre beggining to spread like a virus.

Not every station are in working condition. There is a team of technicians or contractors at 1 of the station in Brooklyn trying to get it work. So far... so bad. Still having bugs trying to ironed out. It is nice that MTA hire contractors and paid them, virtually opposite to when they lay off MTA employees due to budget cuts.

Not every station are in working condition. There is a team of technicians or contractors at 1 of the station in Brooklyn trying to get it work. So far... so bad. Still having bugs trying to ironed out. It is nice that MTA hire contractors and paid them, virtually opposite to when they lay off MTA employees due to budget cuts.

Are you reffering To Franklin Ave?

You know, I'm one of those who is against the (MTA) spending money on silly stuff but this is one thing that I'm NOT against. This is something that is LONG overdue and it is necessary so that I as a passenger can make the choice as to whether I want to take the train or not. Plus, it makes me look down the tunnel less with the clocks being there and that's a good thing. It's in test mode right now so no one can use the "it doesn't work" arguement in this situation. It took a while for the clocks on the (L) to work and now they are accurate. They'll get it together with the A division soon enough. I can't wait for them to turn on the clock at both my stations because it will help me figure out if I need to run to get to my spot on the train or not. This is one of the few things the (MTA) is doing right with my money.

i spoke too some of the techs that worked on the PA CIA SYSTEM on the IRT and they said the other lines will not have the same system at all the CBTS train tracking system will come too them but the countdown boards will not be like the ones on the IRT. and they wont have it up and running untill late 2016 or later, they dont have it in any capital plans.

It's going to be more difficult because the B division is a much larger one and there is a lot of interlining going on. I guess they will use the likes currently being used between 168th and 145th along the IND.

Its actually Jay Walder's decision to put the board. Yeah, tourist might find useful when they are starring at the empty screen or messages pops up saying "System Under Test" or current date and time. Useful huh?

It's not his decision at all. These screens have been up sitting unused at most stations since 2008, and they have been completely paid for in previous capital programs. And the system under test only takes up one line of the screen while the other line still displays train arrival info so your point is moot.

I survey all the stations that has the system on even on the L line. I found out most are off by 1 to 15 minutes off. Yeah, the system is new to the TA. Is it really worth to spend money when MTA has to cut service?

It is really a bad timing. This is a want, not a need. Do implanted the system when MTA is financial secure.

Funny because every time I have used the (L) train in the past those signs have been 100% accurate.

Except for the 10th time, these boards have been paid for already within the past decade in capital programs and all that has to be done now is roll them out. The (MTA) isn't spending money to install them aside from the crews necessary to install them. Crews that are paid just as much as the tons of crews that are doing 10,000 other jobs around the system.

Yes, the B Division screens should be coming mid-to-late next decade.

Are you reffering To Franklin Ave?

No, that technician crew that I saw at President St around noon today.

Franklin Av station board is offline, they are fixing the bugs.

Majority in Brooklyn stations are not in working in order.

It's not his decision at all. These screens have been up sitting unused at most stations since 2008, and they have been completely paid for in previous capital programs. And the system under test only takes up one line of the screen while the other line still displays train arrival info so your point is moot.

FYI, the project has been snagged for how long? Even the L line with the countdown clocks has been scrutinized because it took really 4 to 5 years get it work on one line?

Today's economy is getting bad, this project could have diverted the money to fixed up the needed stations that is in need in rehab. Instead cutting the budget on that part. I really think they need to hold it off.

Funny because every time I have used the (L) train in the past those signs have been 100% accurate.

Its not even 100% accurate if you count a minute or two off that I witness the other day. Anywho, It is accurate yet still people lean towards the tunnel to see if its arriving.

Except for the 10th time, these boards have been paid for already within the past decade in capital programs and all that has to be done now is roll them out. The (MTA) isn't spending money to install them aside from the crews necessary to install them. Crews that are paid just as much as the tons of crews that are doing 10,000 other jobs around the system.

Yes, the B Division screens should be coming mid-to-late next decade.

Of course, Its been paid and.... when will it finish? You have that answer? MTA has to spend money on crews to maintain the system in working order, even cleaning the screens that is dirty and remove graffiti (oops, they cut on cleaning) do they have that money?

We are expecting another round of cuts after this.

Im sure the system would be useful when we paying customers have to wait a long time to arrive for the train to come thanks to the budget cuts.

if this took too long i kinda wonder about the bus arrival time.... and they even wanted to have it on MTAB.co

That project is still testing. They are trying different technologies yet it has taken really long thanks to crappy contractor at the beginning of the project; Siemens and dont forget MTA=ATM.... spend, spend, spend.... LAWSUIT.

Archived