IRT Train Arrival Time Boards Discussion

R32 3348

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you should see what we do up here in the bronx being thatwe have had them for a wiles now, we love them we don't look into the dark tunnel we sit down and wait for the train like they do on the MNR OR LIRR. and it also tells you what's going on in the system other than the countdown check out my videos on YouTube i show it all. its so sad too keep seeing people not like this sysytem, because other countrys have all this already and we, like years behind why do this country hate change so much? this helps us do much

Not all change is progress!!! It is not resisting change to explain why these clocks are a waste. Why should we invest in them while at the same time cutting service and laying off more workers? But it's all change, so we should "embrace it". I'm sick of hearing about all these other countries which have plenty of other problems like not having late night service.

Most of the riders have some form of an unlimited Metrocard so they wouldn't mind. Also, all of the IRT stations will have the countdown clocks outside the fare control so it wouldn't be a problem anyway. Also, they are opening them up based on which stations finish the software/hardware installation first. It's a moot point since at least 100 stations will have them up and running by the end of this year.

I don't know if that's true or where you heard it, but I doubt that's the case. I don't know anything about the computer systems being used with this, but I don't see why the first places to install this equipment would be two lightly used out-of-the-way stations when others only a few stops away could benefit more.

Not all change is progress!!! It is not resisting change to explain why these clocks are a waste. Why should we invest in them while at the same time cutting service and laying off more workers? But it's all change, so we should "embrace it". I'm sick of hearing about all these other countries which have plenty of other problems like not having late night service.

I don't know if that's true or where you heard it, but I doubt that's the case. I don't know anything about the computer systems being used with this, but I don't see why the first places to install this equipment would be two lightly used out-of-the-way stations when others only a few stops away could benefit more.

yes we should. this didn't just come out yesterday its been years now, and i don't know about you but i see lots of people loving this new system and we in the bronx and in manhattan are changing with it.

and he was rite about the clocks they are turning them on as they finish the hardware and than software, and all stations have them on the outside the fare area l. and if you hate how other counties talked about when it comes too us here than just take a look at what they have and what we don't have. they have smartcards, clean subways where people don't trash it like here. they have countdown clocks for over 15 years now, and oh yea the people pay and invest in the transit system and we don't.

you should see what we do up here in the bronx being thatwe have had them for a wiles now, we love them we don't look into the dark tunnel we sit down and wait for the train like they do on the MNR OR LIRR. and it also tells you what's going on in the system other than the countdown check out my videos on YouTube i show it all. its so sad too keep seeing people not like this sysytem, because other countrys have all this already and we, like years behind why do this country hate change so much? this helps us do much

First of all, only a dummy would look into a tunnel to see if a train is coming or not. I know many people do it, I used to do it myself but think about it rationally. Will this make the train come any faster ? NO. Clock or no clock the smart thing to do is find a seat and wait. The displays in the stations on the LIRR give the ETA of the next few trains and their destinations. They don't countdown minutes. With late night service cuts coming this is really going to help you feel better, right. Haven't you ever heard the expression " a watched pot never boils"? ? That's what all this amounts to IMO.

First of all, only a dummy would look into a tunnel to see if a train is coming or not. I know many people do it, I used to do it myself but think about it rationally. Will this make the train come any faster ? NO. Clock or no clock the smart thing to do is find a seat and wait. The displays in the stations on the LIRR give the ETA of the next few trains and their destinations. They don't countdown minutes. With late night service cuts coming this is really going to help you feel better, right. Haven't you ever heard the expression " a watched pot never boils"? ? That's what all this amounts to IMO.

Clearly you aren't a psychology major.

what kinda old thing is that, i don't see that here where i am people don't care about that idea. we love it here

what kinda old thing is that, i don't see that here where i am people don't care about that idea. we love it here

Really? So "We" includes me as well? I dont think so.

I do stand of course, but i make sure i keep myself safe..

And many others in the Bronx also sit and wait.. So i think you should say yourself bro.

Really? So "We" includes me as well? I dont think so.

I do stand of course, but i make sure i keep myself safe..

And many others in the Bronx also sit and wait.. So i think you should say yourself bro.

i ask the people here all the time do they like it even the news come here and when they do the interviews they say they love it. so I'm saying the most of the people love it i haven't seen anyone that don't, and being that the (6) is working good and with the service updates, that tell you what's going on with the system you can't do any better. it informs you and thats what we need info on the go.

Well I like them clocks. They work for me. Patience is not a friend of mine and it's a pain in the ass waiting for the train sometimes but with those clocks, it gives me some kind of idea as to how long the wait will be and waiting is a bit tolerable. It has been a help when I was at a station that had it. If you don't want to use the clocks, then don't look at them but to say that they aren't useful is a lie because they are.

Well I like them clocks. They work for me. Patience is not a friend of mine and it's a pain in the ass waiting for the train sometimes but with those clocks, it gives me some kind of idea as to how long the wait will be and waiting is a bit tolerable. It has been a help when I was at a station that had it. If you don't want to use the clocks, then don't look at them but to say that they aren't useful is a lie because they are.

yea that's the way too say it thank you for that

Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly. I think the countdown clocks are useful. The point I'm trying to make is that the (MTA) is using the clock installation as a diversion, so to speak, from the many problems it faces now and in the near future. Non-working security cameras and service cuts are far more important IMO than clocks will ever be. As a motorman, safety and security trump the clocks any day. I think the public should be clamoring for more reliable and secure service when they use the system. Put it this way, would you like 10 TPH (R32s) at your stations, or 6 TPH (R160s) and countdown clocks at your station ? That's the point I'm trying to bring out. In a perfect world we'd have both but it's not a perfect world. In the TA world service cuts usually become permanent unless they are forced to rescind them so I think we're going to end up with new displays in the stations and more time to look at them between trains. The hardware has been up in the IRT for some time so it seems to me that they're trying to get the displays online to mollify the riding public. My perspective is different from most riders. I just want to provide safe and timely service for my people. As part of the riding public I think the displays are a welcome addition. As a motorman I have a different POV. Just my 2 cents. No hard feelings toward those who would disagree though.

Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly. I think the countdown clocks are useful. The point I'm trying to make is that the (MTA) is using the clock installation as a diversion, so to speak, from the many problems it faces now and in the near future. Non-working security cameras and service cuts are far more important IMO than clocks will ever be. As a motorman, safety and security trump the clocks any day. I think the public should be clamoring for more reliable and secure service when they use the system. Put it this way, would you like 10 TPH (R32s) at your stations, or 6 TPH (R160s) and countdown clocks at your station ? That's the point I'm trying to bring out. In a perfect world we'd have both but it's not a perfect world. In the TA world service cuts usually become permanent unless they are forced to rescind them so I think we're going to end up with new displays in the stations and more time to look at them between trains. The hardware has been up in the IRT for some time so it seems to me that they're trying to get the displays online to mollify the riding public. My perspective is different from most riders. I just want to provide safe and timely service for my people. As part of the riding public I think the displays are a welcome addition. As a motorman I have a different POV. Just my 2 cents. No hard feelings toward those who would disagree though.

I totally respect where you are coming from. From what I know, this stuff's been planned for a few years and I don't think this is being done to lessen the blow to riders. Most of the service cuts don't even involve the IRT portion. I believe that money was always set aside and spent to have the countdown clocks installed and turned on but I could be wrong. Even if the MTA was to scrap the Countdown clocks, I don't think it would do that much to help turn around the situation with the cuts and cameras, I really don't.

Some good news! The Pelham Bay Park station FINALLY has the countdown clocks working! I was on the phone this morning when I heard this man's voice loudly say, "The next Pelham Bay Park bound train is now arriving on Track 1." I knew what that meant and sure enough, the clock was on saying "System under test" or something like that. So now, I'm extremely happy to say that with the exception of the stations undergoing renovations, all the working (6)<6> train stations in the Bronx have the Countdown Clocks up and running, minus the downtown Parkchester station! :cool::tup:

I'll just edit & repost what I wrote yesterday under my Straphangers account:

It's nice the Pelham Line has lots of countdown clocks set up. Heck, just about every station still open has clocks up and running.

In Brooklyn, I saw the board at President Street operating. I also saw the board on the Manhattan-Bound platform at Winthrop St turned on. Unlike the board at President St, the board at Winthrop St just said "Data display - system test " and randomly showed flashing colors, so I think it was turned on not long before I came. Note that I only saw both boards passing by on the train, coming home from school, so their conditions may have changed. Finally, I have no idea whether Hoyt St-Fulton Mall's countdown clock is set up.

---------------------------------------------------

I'll check Winthrop St again today. And hopefully Hoyt St too.

On Friday, Atlantic Avenue on 2, 3, 4, 5 train platforms eletronic boards are turned on. Except it only litsted the current date and time stamp.

So at Atlantic, I assume there are no displays in the concourse area under the IRT platforms? That might be one place where those signs could be useful being that folks are often confused at certain times whether the (4) is coming in on the exp or lcl platform.

Some good news! The Pelham Bay Park station FINALLY has the countdown clocks working! I was on the phone this morning when I heard this man's voice loudly say, "The next Pelham Bay Park bound train is now arriving on Track 1." I knew what that meant and sure enough, the clock was on saying "System under test" or something like that. So now, I'm extremely happy to say that with the exception of the stations undergoing renovations, all the working (6)<6> train stations in the Bronx have the Countdown Clocks up and running, minus the downtown Parkchester station! :cool::tup:

Like I said before, I don't see anything more pointless than having a countdown clock in a terminal where trains are already in the station waiting. Anyway, you guys are entitled your opinion and if you think they're a better investment for the future than service and what not, that's fine, let's leave it at that.

i was there yesterday and i saw them on im going too make a bus today, i hope its still on i was waiting for that one too come on. and presidents at is on too

Last night both of those stations were not working.

So at Atlantic, I assume there are no displays in the concourse area under the IRT platforms? That might be one place where those signs could be useful being that folks are often confused at certain times whether the (4) is coming in on the exp or lcl platform.

Like I said before, I don't see anything more pointless than having a countdown clock in a terminal where trains are already in the station waiting. Anyway, you guys are entitled your opinion and if you think they're a better investment for the future than service and what not, that's fine, let's leave it at that.

i think this city have way to many trains per hour, we should lower the amount of trains and buses. that would save the MTA millions and if we know the time the trains are on its way we can make it on time, just like other cities around the world, we have way to many trains moving in this system i see buses and trains with no one on it a waist of money in my eye. no other city do that.

What is the Status on the (A)/© PA/CIS test? and will it be expanding to the other Letters in the B Division?

becausewe are doing things wrong we never look and see what other places do things, but i love the idea that both mayor bloomberg and the MTA boss is doing just that. they are going too other countries and seeing what they do too accomplish many things like crime previntion and security in subways and how too save money doing it. we are over doing it here, we don't need so much trains and buses at times when there isn't many people. like latenites and over the weekend.

and the B dev aren't the same people that's the MTA doing it so im not sure how they are doing it there and how many stations will have it.

Archived