Changing at Jamaica for Oyster Bay

lilbluefoxie

If an OB train is on 8 Track then the train that originated at NYP will be on 7 Track. Expanding on that, if there was another connecting train from FBA, that one would be on 6 Track.

That said, there is no standard, and trains will use whatever track is available. I have been to Jamaica mid-day to find 6 7 and 8 Track all closed off and eastbound service operating from 4 and 5 Track. When that derailment occurred a few months back they were handling all service through 1 2 and 3 Track (I don't recall if 4 or 5 Track were accessible...4 may have...); limited service was spotted on 8 Track, used only by trains with no connections (seeing as 7 Track was inaccessible, one would not be able to transfer).

If an OB train is on 8 Track then the train that originated at NYP will be on 7 Track. Expanding on that, if there was another connecting train from FBA, that one would be on 6 Track.

That said, there is no standard, and trains will use whatever track is available. I have been to Jamaica mid-day to find 6 7 and 8 Track all closed off and eastbound service operating from 4 and 5 Track. When that derailment occurred a few months back they were handling all service through 1 2 and 3 Track (I don't recall if 4 or 5 Track were accessible...4 may have...); limited service was spotted on 8 Track, used only by trains with no connections (seeing as 7 Track was inaccessible, one would not be able to transfer).

and will the Oyster Bay train wait if people have to walk upstairs and then downstairs to get to the right platform due to a track difference.

I have personally never witnessed a situation where connections were not cross-platform. If such a situation did occur however, I would expect the train to wait longer, with additional platform conductors on-hand.

In my personal experience a lot of trains departing from Flatbush also use platform 8.

Depends on where the train is headed. Hempstead trains will often use 8 Track; whereas Far Rockaway trains will tend to be on 6 Track.

Yep. Hempstead bound trains are the only ones I used without transferring at Jamaica.

I know Babylon trains occasionally depart from Flatbush. Do they use platofrm 8 as well? Long Beach? I wouldnt know because when I go to Babylon I always have to tansfer from Jamaica.

Long Beach trains typically depart from 7 Track. Occasionally I spot them on 6 Track, and I used to ride a train regularly that departed from 5 Track. One must look at where the train is physically headed in order to guestimate what track it will arrive on.

Let's look at Babylon trains for example: they almost always use the Montauk Branch between Jamaica and Valley Stream; therefore it makes most sense to have those trains come in on 7 Track, therefore they have a relative straight-shot right onto Montauk 2. It's possible to access Montauk 2 from 6 and 8 Track but you have to take more switches, therefore slowing down the operation a bit.

Now we'll look at Long Beach. Long Beach trains almost always use the Atlantic Branch between Jamaica and Valley Stream (though I have been on a few runs that departed Jamaica on Montauk 2 and switched to Atlantic 1 prior to entering Valley then switching to Long Beach 2 after departing Valley). These trains will typically depart from 6 or 7 Track, as those provide the straightest routes to Atlantic 2.

The order of precedence when determining tracks (outside rush hours) tends to be 7 -> 8 -> 6. That is, a train with no connections will arrive on 7 Track; two connecting trains will arrive on 7 and 8; with Far Rockaway runs generally being the sole occupants of 6 Track.

During rush hours, anything goes.

It seems like all of the diesels arrive on track 8.

There are a few Port Jeff runs that depart from 5 Track.

During PM rush hour, the 2 runs from Penn to Port Jeff depart from 4 track. Otherwise the diesels usually depart from 8 or 6 track.

During the AM rush, diesels to Hunterspoint/LIC usually use 2 track if they're 7 or more cars long, otherwise they use 3 track. Diesels to Penn use 1 track and don't usually allow for connections from other trains.

During off-peak, trackwork notwithstanding, diesels usually discharge on 1 track and receive on 8 track

and as said above, tracks are used as needed. Hope this helps

Oyster Bay seems like a pretty busy service. Maybe they should electrify the Oyster Bay tracks.

And why are all the LIRR push/pull trains bi-level anyway?

The bilevels are either diesel (with an engine and cab car or 2 engines) or dual mode (2 diesel and electric hybrid engines). And IIRC the Port Jeff branch is the busiest non-electrified branch

Oyster Bay seems like a pretty busy service. Maybe they should electrify the Oyster Bay tracks.

And why are all the LIRR push/pull trains bi-level anyway?

it has 2 trains an hour during off peak, its not that busy compared to the Hempstead or Long Beach Branches, and it surely has more than West Hempstead.

Archived