Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Question for MNRR Locomotive Engineers

gregorygrice

Block out the sun = extremely important part of being an engineer. Don't want fatigued eyes to cause a incident.

- A

Guess I confused the question, I thought he was talking about the door seperating the passenger compartment with the cab.

Guess I confused the question, I thought he was talking about the door seperating the passenger compartment with the cab.

He is talking about the door separating the cab from the train. Don't know where Andy got the front door from.

That is exactly why engineers put it up. It gets embarassing trying to run a train naked with some dude constantly peering thru the window :cool:

Well maybe that dude is happy....a little too happy :(

But really what's the point you cant really see the engineer anyway. You can only really see the the tracks and whatevers ahead of the train.

They probably just want privacy from peering eyes.

Arrow 3 have a metal sliding window shade that you slide up, not sure out silverliners, but even with comets they have a tinted cab door on the 4 and 5. 2 and 3 have end door lock out to keep pax using the other doors. On the metropolitan and cosmopolitan models I'm not sure if they ever had door blinds installed.

- A

Waaay back when, before such things were verboten, I was lucky enough to ride a PCRR train into GCT with an engineer who knew how exciting it was for a kid to ride in the cab. I spent most of the trip from Bridgeport standing on the threshold of the cab watching and asking questions. As we entered the tunnel portal he finally said, "come on in so you can see the tunnel." To this day, my wife just rolls her eyes when I demand that we ride in the front car wherever we go.

:me:

Waaay back when, before such things were verboten, I was lucky enough to ride a PCRR train into GCT with an engineer who knew how exciting it was for a kid to ride in the cab. I spent most of the trip from Bridgeport standing on the threshold of the cab watching and asking questions. As we entered the tunnel portal he finally said, "come on in so you can see the tunnel." To this day, my wife just rolls her eyes when I demand that we ride in the front car wherever we go.

:me:

Lol! I've had plenty of times where the engineer will leave te door open and let me watch and Il talk to him and ask questions. Same with the comductors. It's a great experience.

Lol! I've had plenty of times where the engineer will leave te door open and let me watch and Il talk to him and ask questions. Same with the comductors. It's a great experience.

I know a handful of engineers who will converse during the run, but I've been told that it's a practice that MNR frowns upon because of safety issues. Anyone know the truth behind that regulation?

:tdown:

I know a handful of engineers who will converse during the run, but I've been told that it's a practice that MNR frowns upon because of safety issues. Anyone know the truth behind that regulation?

i don't know why theyvfrown upon that.

:tdown:

i don't know why theyvfrown upon that.

It may be that it's similar to talking on a cell phone while driving, or that it's worried that train operation may be learned while chatting with the engineer. Enough train operation learned to cause a public safety issue, that is.

I know the subway cars (r142-r160) have the privacy screens so that the only way you could really see through is by looking straight. That's a con for us railfanners:tdown:

at least you can still see, as opposed to nothing at all like the PA-5's...

Yes, regulations require the cab door be closed at all times, unless conversing with members of the train crew or other necessary business.

Yes, regulations require the cab door be closed at all times, unless conversing with members of the train crew or other necessary business.

This one engineer and I used to chat with the door open until he informed me that someone complained about it and a plainclothes "spy" rode the train a few times and he needed to keep the door closed or risk disciplinary action.

This one engineer and I used to chat with the door open until he informed me that someone complained about it and a plainclothes "spy" rode the train a few times and he needed to keep the door closed or risk disciplinary action.

Sometimes they just leave the door open without talking to anyone or they will talk to the conductors slot with the door closed.

Archived