Oscar 2010 nominations announced. "Avatar" tied for most nods

Shortline Bus

The 2010 Academy awards nomatations have been announced for the best in film in Hollywood and worldwide. The biggest highlight of this year's 'finalists' for the Oscar is these two headlines. "Avatar' which just broke "Tiantic' record for most profits/box office reciepts(money) ever, is tied for the film with the most nominations with. "Avatar' is also looking to make Oscar history as only the 2nd Science-Fiction based film to ever win the top prize for best film. A sidebar in this year show is that former husband and wife filmmakers James Cameron ("Titantic" and "Avatar") is battling Kathryn Bigelow's "The Hurt Locker" for best Director.

Also, the other big news is that long time Hollywood favorite Sandra Bullock, received her first ever nomatation for best actress in the film 'the blind side.

Here the '10' finalists for 2009 Film of the Year and the article about this year awards show, usually the most watched annually in the world. Anyone seen of the films on this list? Feel free to comment as usual guys.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/2010/02/02/2010-02-02_academy_awards_avatar_and_the_hurt_locker_dominate_2010_oscar_nominees.html

The Oscars 2010 nods for the 2009 Best Picture finalists.

The Hurt Locker

The Blind Side

Up in the Air

An Education

District 9

Inglourious Basterds

A Serious Man

Up

Precious

Well it looks like they wised up and have movies that people have actually seen. I'm still pissed they snubbed Dark Knight last year for at least best director. Ledger's win was just a token as he died. I seriously doubt he would've won if he didn't die [yes I know that's harsh, but it's true].

Personally I'm hoping Star Trek wins best picture, that was a great movie. That or give Abrams best director.

Well it looks like they wised up and have movies that people have actually seen. I'm still pissed they snubbed Dark Knight last year for at least best director. Ledger's win was just a token as he died. I seriously doubt he would've won if he didn't die [yes I know that's harsh, but it's true].

Personally I'm hoping Star Trek wins best picture, that was a great movie. That or give Abrams best director.

Sorry GC, "star trek" was not selected.:P Here the list.

The Oscars 2010 nods for the 2009 Best Picture finalists.

The Hurt Locker

The Blind Side

Up in the Air

An Education

District 9

Inglourious Basterds

A Serious Man

Up

Precious

Damn, screw them. Another snub...

And last year's line up should've been like this:

Best picture: Dark Knight

Best director: Chris Nolan - Dark Knight

Best actor: Robert Downey Jr. - Tropic Thunder/Iron Man

Best visual effects: Iron Man

Best animated picture: Wall E

Dunno bout the rest.

Fair or not GC, popular films especially until recent years in the area of comic book/animated and science fiction based films other than "Lord of the Rings"has never won the best picture. Hell in 1995(1994 season) although i liked "Forest Gump"(it won best film that year)"Lion King" and Shawkshak Redemenation" were imo better movies.

Its almost always a love story ie "Titantic", "West Side Story" or Gone with the Wind being perfect examples, dramas with violence like "Godfather' or feel good underdog stories ie "Rocky I" or 'Slumlord Millioanrie' winning 98% of the time.

That the way until maybe now, the voters at the Oscars think, it politics.:(

PS Concourse did you see "Slumlord Millionarie' its actually not a bad film imo?

Nah, didn't watch Slumlord Millionarie. Not my kind of movie. It should've just won best foreign picture. That win was the last straw for me about the Academy Awards. Nothing but elitist snobs.

I agree to point with you GC. The oscars was not designed to appeal for the general movie fan. The main reason that show always does well in the ratings is fact the audience majority of them woman (not trying to sound sexist folks but being honest)watch the show to see what the people and other celebrities are wearing for fashion.

Just like the super bowl also gets high ratings even from non-NFL fans to watch the new commericals that debuted for the year and also see the celebrities at the game as well.:confused:

The Oscars is a show that also is Hollywood annual version for lack of a better comparsion, the yearly graduation at a high school or college.:eek:

The years Titanic and LotR 3 won best picture were years that I watched the AA to see them win.

Going back a few years 98 or 99, I think Saving Private Ryan should've won best picture over Shakespere in love.

Also I saw American Beauty and I didn't really think it was all that great and wasn't worth getting best picture for.

Best picture & the rest of the academy of motion picture arts nominations go beyond what most people will get out of a movie, the people voting sit in private screening rooms, perfect picture & audio, they focus solely on the movie, not texting or eating movie snacks, it's pretty intense actually from what i've read/heard. If you don't view the entire screening you can't vote & you can't vote for any movie you are involved with.

My top 3 choices for best picture:

1. Up.

2. The hurt locker.

3. Avatar.

I personally think slumdog millionare is an overhyped movie & i refuse to watch it on the grounds that if we lived in india, it would actually be kind of dull, imagine it being about americans. Lame. We are so deprived of culture that any film that shows something like india or singapore or hong kong is going to be popular all most automatically. I know people who live and have lived in india, they are not impressed with it either. I've seen better indian films many times both online & on tv & over at friends houses.

- A

• 1 month later...

Yes it on. I do admit i hate all of the pre show hype including the 48-hour pre show that E! Television every year on Oscar weekend. Like the super bowl, the show is cool.

With that said, The OSCARS are way too long of being on 5-plus hours imo? I never understand why can't the 'minor awards' be shown on Saturday night on a station like "E!", TNT/TBS, etc. That why people such as digital directors, clothing managers who win Oscars can have their few minutes in the spotlight as well. Then the 'main show' can still be broadcast on Sunday Night but reduced to 3 hours. Just my takes.:eek:

Sandra Bullock won Best Actress for The Blind Side. She deserved it.

Congrats to her. Bullock is that all american lady attractive but not drop dead goregous looks wise and best of all maybe underrated as one of the best Actress in Hollywood over last 15 years or so.

Basically a 'sweep' for Hurt Locker - it wins best picture and director. The only good thing is Avatar didn't win.

But still pissed they snubbed Star Trek for maybe best director. I thought it was a nicely done movie.

Yup. According to analysts and others in the Hollywood biz, "Hurt Locker' was a huge upset winner especially taking home 'movie of the year 2009' over favorites "Up in the Air' and "Avastar.' It's also the biggest surprise for best picture since Sheakspere in Love' shocked "Saving Private Ryan" about 10 years ago:confused: However it was not a shock that "Hurt Locker's" Director Kathryn Bigelow and ex-wife of James Cameron became the first woman in the Oscars long history to win "Director/Filmmaker of the Year.'

Avastar won only '3' minor awards at the Oscars. So another example of where the Ocsar voters except for "Lord of the Rings' never picking a film of the year winner that in the Sci-Fi or animated category.

"Hurt Locker' is also the lowest profit major film ever to win the Oscar for best film. Here link.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/2010/03/08/2010-03-08_the_hurt_locker_is_lowestgrossing_movie_to_ever_win_best_picture_may_get_postosc.html

Archived