NBA's Nets team to move to Newark's Devils Arena until 'new' Brooklyn home is ready?

Shortline Bus

I saw this ride that looked like a motorcycle rollercoaster (it's hard to describe). That looks awesome. The best part is that it's not one of those nausea-inducing rides like Medusa.

I googled Zamperla and found a Daily News article. The picture at the top is the ride I'm describing:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brooklyn/2010/01/21/2010-01-21_coney_is_on_a_roll_coasters_thrill_rides_likely_on_astroland_lot.html

Good, now I can finally go to a Nets game (if only they didn't suck), cause the Meadowlands is quite an inconveience to get to (pre-Meadowlands line, but even then that only operates for Giants/Jets game and other major events). I really do hope the Nets stay in NJ because why NY need yet another team there? But it does seem the plan to move to Brooklyn is going to happen so buh bye.

and why NJ have to have two of NY football teams?It's bad enough they play in the same stadium.....if the Nets does come to brooklyn,they will be call NY or Brooklyn Nets?

I've seen some of those rides from Zamerpla, they look interesting. I hope those are the types of rides going to CI. I also wonder if they'll have like an all day pass or something. Cuz then I'll buy that over the admissions per ride.

=

Meadowlands sucks unless you have a car. I can see the Nets staying in Newark till the Brooklyn Arena opens. I just wonder what they will do with the Izod center though.

For this season of Coney Island I would expect Zamerpla to set up what ever used carnival rides that are in their inventory and to also book rides in from show owners

GC from what i read, (Nel can correct me on this) is thathe meadowlands now known as Izod opened and was created oringaly to get the Knicks and Rangers who were on verge of leaving NYC like the NFL Giants around 1980. Finally then Mayor Koch and then MSG owners the company Gulf and western agreed to renonvating the garden. Plus at that time cities had a reputation for out of control crime and several teams around the country like the Giants/Jets, the NBA Pistons and NFL Lions(suburus of Detroit)and others bulit their stadiums off highways/freeways instead of downtown.

NJ desperate not to have an 'empty' buliding for the new medowlands arena then got the Nets to move from Long Island and the Nassau Colisueim.

And for the hockey team the meadownlands folks got NJ Businessman (forgot his name) to buy a team from Denver, colo. who owners were bankrupt and moved them to NJ where they became today's DEVILS.

The Meadowlands became the Contiental Airlines arena around 1995 until Izod took over naming rights a couple of years ago.

I do agree with Nel that the Izod is a dump and in geneal soprts bulidings like baseball and Hockey/Basketball & entertainment arenas belong a city's downtown/CBD area.

That why the meadowlands Izod arena was bulit GC to get the Rangers/Knicks not the Devils/Nets.:eek:

True but the Nets had moved from the Nassau Coleuseum to Piscataway New jersey and the Rutgers Athletic Center and the new Meadowlands Arena was used as leverage against the City of New York for certain concessions like the tax breaks the Garden still enjoys today.

True but the Nets had moved from the Nassau Coleuseum to Piscataway New jersey and the Rutgers Athletic Center and the new Meadowlands Arena was used as leverage against the City of New York for certain concessions like the tax breaks the Garden still enjoys today.

The Nets played at Rutgers I think, for a season or two between 1980-81, while then new Meadowlands arena now Izod was being bulit.

The Dolans even though they paid a then record $1 Billion in the late '90's to buy the MSG buliding, the MSG cable TV station and of course the Knicks and Rangers was an excellent investment even though both teams stink right now.

Even in this mega recession, according to business analysts, the Dolans still make a profit. And the tax breaks are a bonus for them as well.

IMO, while at first i was leaning towards supporting the Nets as a Brooklyn native at the Atlantic yards, after couple of years and I come to think about it, I dont think it's a good idea. Instead imo the only other logical place in NYC to bulid them and maybe the Islanders too a 'new home' is the Shea/Citfield area in Flushing Meadows, now Coney Island is off the table.

The Atlantic Yards if bulit, should just be imo, about 5,000 seat arena housing high school basketball and other sporting events along with concerts too small for MSG which Brooklyn desepartes needs.

If Queens is not a good location or realistic for the Nets, then Newark makes the most sense for the Nets for at least the next 25-30 years or more.:eek:

The Nets played at Rutgers I think, for a season or two between 1980-81, while then new Meadowlands arena now Izod was being bulit.

The Dolans even though they paid a then record $1 Billion in the late '90's to buy the MSG buliding, the MSG cable TV station and of course the Knicks and Rangers was an excellent investment even though both teams stink right now.

Even in this mega recession, according to business analysts, the Dolans still make a profit. And the tax breaks are a bonus for them as well.

IMO, while at first i was leaning towards supporting the Nets as a Brooklyn native at the Atlantic yards, after couple of years and I come to think about it, I dont think it's a good idea. Instead imo the only other logical place in NYC to bulid them and maybe the Islanders too a 'new home' is the Shea/Citfield area in Flushing Meadows, now Coney Island is off the table.

The Atlantic Yards if bulit, should just be imo, about 5,000 seat arena housing high school basketball and other sporting events along with concerts too small for MSG which Brooklyn desepartes needs.

If Queens is not a good location or realistic for the Nets, then Newark makes the most sense for the Nets for at least the next 25-30 years or more.:eek:

Agreed Queens would be the ideal place for a sports complex because of it proximity to all the higways ie lie, grand central and van wyck. Willets point is also close to the (7) and lirr and has lots of cheap underdeveloped land. T he Dolans buying MSG was about the real estate the teams but most the cable network MSG, which at the time gave them a monopoly on all local teams tv contracts.

They actually played at Rutgers-New Brunswick for four seasons, starting in 1978. They played at the Rutgers Athletic Center that is on the Livingston Campus in Piscataway.

They actually played at Rutgers-New Brunswick for four seasons, starting in 1978. They played at the Rutgers Athletic Center that is on the Livingston Campus in Piscataway.

Thanks for info. I know from say 1970-78 the Nets were in Long Island sharing 'home' with the Islanders at then 'new' Nassau Cols.

The glory of the Nets when "Dr J" began his pro carrer in the now minor league "ABA" before they joined the NBA and thus had to trade Dr J i believe because they had to pay the Knicks tens of millions in terrorital right fees to the oringal NYC NBA Club.

• 3 weeks later...
and why NJ have to have two of NY football teams?It's bad enough they play in the same stadium.....if the Nets does come to brooklyn,they will be call NY or Brooklyn Nets?

Um, in case you haven't noticed, they're the New York Giants and New York Jets, not the New Jersey Giants or the New Jersey Jets. They're playing at the Meadowlands in NJ because the owners of the Giants were the ones that decided to buy land in NJ to build their stadium.

Sorry to disagree Julio and GC but i think Forest Glen is right on this one. If NYC wants the Nets/maybe the Islanders as well so bad, a better location to bulid a new entertainment/sports arena would be in Flushing Meadows, next to the new Mets Citifield ballpark.

While it true, Atlantic and Flatbush has excellent transportation and only a 30-minute ride to/from Mid Manhattan and also about a 30-minute trip to Mineola on a LIRR express train, there 1 critical issue that supporters for Ratner and the Nets arena does not discuss.

The Reality is that One group of fans like it or not, does hate mass transit and will drive no matter what even being stuck in traffic for a hour after the game. That location is at least 1 mile or more from any highway (the BQE is the only major freeway in Downtown Brooklyn)and also the Brooklyn Bridge or Manhattan Bridges to Manhattan. It will cause nightmare traffic on game nights, in an area already very busy. Unlike Yankee Stadium in the summer, fans won't have the patience in wanting to be outdoors on cold and sometimes snowy nights as well.

This is coming from someone that lived in Brooklyn until few years ago most of my life so i know that area very well.:

Almost all of the new stadiums/ballparks and arenas in the US over last 10 years, is bulit near *both a major interstate highway and major light rail/high speed train line. The "rock' in Newark is a short walk to Newark Penn Station and also short drive to the NJ Turnpike and also Interstate 280 which connects to both the GSP(garden state parkway)and Interstate 80, the '3' busiest and most important highways in Northern NJ.

Instead what would better for Downtown Brooklyn in or near the planned Nets Arena on Flatbush and Atlantic imo, would be a small 5,000-seat arena similar in size to the Beacon Arena on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, that could attract smaller size concerts, WWE wrestling events and also host citywide basketball and other smaller high school type events as well. I think most of the Nimby's near the planned Nets arena, would quicker support a smaller Arena than a 20,000-seat stadium that would cripple traffic on Flatbush and Atlantic on game nights.

That my takes as i think the Nets should either stay in Newark at the "rock' or if they want to move to NYC, bulid a new arena to share with the Islanders in Flushing, Queens next to Citifield.

Um, in case you haven't noticed, they're the New York Giants and New York Jets, not the New Jersey Giants or the New Jersey Jets. They're playing at the Meadowlands in NJ because the owners of the Giants were the ones that decided to buy land in NJ to build their stadium.
The football Giants played at the the original Yankee Stadium until 1973 then the Yankees shared Shea Stadium for 1974 and 1975 and IIRC the football Giants played at Yale.

For 1976, the Yankees were back at Yankee Stadium and the football Giants were at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford. The Jets would continue to share Shea Stadium for a while.

The football Giants played at the the original Yankee Stadium until 1973 then the Yankees shared Shea Stadium for 1974 and 1975 and IIRC the football Giants played at Yale.

For 1976, the Yankees were back at Yankee Stadium and the football Giants were at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford. The Jets would continue to share Shea Stadium for a while.

EE Local. The Jets last season at Shea was in 1984? Then Gang green new home was the meadowlands after that right?:confused:

I know they're the NY Giants and NY jets..I think their owner need to change their name to NJ(it won't happen,because the owner said NY is more popular name than NJ,that what I heard)

I know they're the NY Giants and NY jets..I think their owner need to change their name to NJ(it won't happen,because the owner said NY is more popular name than NJ,that what I heard)

Yup. The Giants owners the Mara and Tisch familes claim they still a NYC area based team since their coroparte office are still in Manhattan.

I know it's cheesy but imo the best solution is to call themselves the New York/New Jersey Giants and Jets.

At least the Jets tried to move back to the city. That was a project I supported. NIMBY's whined and Sheldon Silver used his influence to kill the project.

I wouldn't have minded if the Jets moved back to Queens, but I don't think the West Side of Manhattan was the best place for them.

=

To shortline: you believe what you want to believe, but I still think the Nets should ultimately be in Brooklyn. I'll leave it at that. I stated my points and you stated yours, but we will not change each other's opinions.

I wouldn't have minded if the Jets moved back to Queens, but I don't think the West Side of Manhattan was the best place for them.

=

To shortline: you believe what you want to believe, but I still think the Nets should ultimately be in Brooklyn. I'll leave it at that. I stated my points and you stated yours, but we will not change each other's opinions.

OK.

Archived