New T/O class getting ready to come out

Pelham Bay Dave

They now have the Oct class now Road posting meaning student T/O's going down the road in service with a Regular T/O. So with this class almost on thier own a new class should begin around the End of Feb or early March. So look out for the Medicals in Feb.

I took a student since they were short on T/O's willing to take a student. I wised him up to the real TA. The operation was good and listened to my instructions. Hopefully I helped produce one good T/O.

They now have the Oct class now Road posting meaning student T/O's going down the road in service with a Regular T/O. So with this class almost on thier own a new class should begin around the End of Feb or early March. So look out for the Medicals in Feb.

I took a student since they were short on T/O's willing to take a student. I wised him up to the real TA. The operation was good and listened to my instructions. Hopefully I helped produce one good T/O.

It's so sad, fellow employees are so selfish, they wouldn't want to show a newbie the job and the road. They know they will be retiring before the rooks, so help out and show them the road.

We have that same problem in the DOB. If I had enough time, with an excellent safety record, I would take a student every single day. Also I would not touch the steering wheel of the bus. Student will drive all day. We late......we late. I also wouldn't want to hear any complaints from the student, about driving the full tour. You will be on your own one day, so get used to it.

I really don't blame those who refuse Students because if the student messes up the trainer gets charged. I normally don't take students for that reason. I also had a School car TSS on board so he took the presure off me for the first trip by taking full responsablity. However that trip up to Met one behind on the Lunch trip you think I didn't take over? I want my 30 Minutes.

My C/R didn't like the idea of me taken a student but told her I had things under control. She also didn't want the student to operate the last half since we try to make it and sign out before the next train leaves but the T/D pulled him on me anyway since he couldn't get paid overtime.

When i posted in the B Div on the (A)(Twice),(:P,(C),(D),(E),(F),(G),(J),(M),(N),(Q),(R),(V) and (W) trains ALL of the T/O's wouldnt even touch the controllers..

They was like "oh you a A to B Transfer have fun"...

On my last trip on one of those darn R44's(the job had two to the Rock) i had enough told my trainer...

"You Better take this train or its sitting"... :cool: :cool: :cool:

I had one student in the B Div hes was ok when i was AM's on the (B)ravo, they begged me to take him since i was the last AM job Uptown. He was Ok but i did the frist trip and he did that last trip.

I see him on the PM's now hes doing good even he was telling me that some of his classmates was "heading for trouble" and BOY was he right...

I really don't blame those who refuse Students because if the student messes up the trainer gets charged. I normally don't take students for that reason. I also had a School car TSS on board so he took the presure off me for the first trip by taking full responsablity. However that trip up to Met one behind on the Lunch trip you think I didn't take over? I want my 30 Minutes.

My C/R didn't like the idea of me taken a student but told her I had things under control. She also didn't want the student to operate the last half since we try to make it and sign out before the next train leaves but the T/D pulled him on me anyway since he couldn't get paid overtime.

Well then the Onion (Union) needs to get the rules changed of who gets charged. The student when road posting (just like here at Surface) is qualified to operate the train. They are just learning the road, and unqualified students are usually weeded out before road posting, and learning the lines. Rank and file non-supervisory members are not "trainers". Maybe the TSSs should be the ones showing them the lines too. Don't have enough....get more just for that. They are the qualified trainers.

Also, the new people who will possibly get the medicals in mid February, need to get drug tested and background checked first. That usually falls 2-3 weeks before the medicals. So those letters for these first parts, might be going out by the end of this month.

I agree but the way it is now if the Student overruns a station or Hits a home signal the Regular T/O gets days in the street and the student goes back to school car and they decided to let the student go or extra training and repost again.

Now here is were it gets interesting we have T/O's and C/R's that went to School car to learn how to train students. They had a notice out and you needed 5 years in title with a good operating record to quilify for the trainers program. The Students are suppose to go to them. However they don't keep up with thier schedules so they don't always get them. I got less then 3 Years so I'm not the ideal Trainer but they getting scheduled to report on my reporting time and after me the Next T/O reports 1 HR and 10 Mins after me and he don't take students as well as the guys coming from CIYD. Next week if I say no then they going to have to D/H to the other term or reschedule for another day. Thats (MTA) planning for you!

Yeah RTO I didn't do to bad when I was posting got a lot of good comments. I'm sure if I was in A Div especially (6x) the trainer wouldn't exept anything less them great operation.:P

I agree but the way it is now if the Student overruns a station or Hits a home signal the Regular T/O gets days in the street and the student goes back to school car and they decided to let the student go or extra training and repost again.

Now here is were it gets interesting we have T/O's and C/R's that went to School car to learn how to train students. They had a notice out and you needed 5 years in title with a good operating record to quilify for the trainers program. The Students are suppose to go to them. However they don't keep up with thier schedules so they don't always get them. I got less then 3 Years so I'm not the ideal Trainer but they getting scheduled to report on my reporting time and after me the Next T/O reports 1 HR and 10 Mins after me and he don't take students as well as the guys coming from CIYD. Next week if I say no then they going to have to D/H to the other term or reschedule for another day. Thats (MTA) planning for you!

All you all have to do is say, none of you are taking anymore students until the rules change. I don't recall anything in our contracts that says we must train newbies and take the fall if something goes wrong. Band together, talk to the union, and let them know, as long as the rules are that you all can get days in the streets if a student messes up, you will take no more students, until that issue is resolved. Another person should not take the bread and butter from your mouth, because of their own mistakes. There is but so much you can do, since you are not at the controls.

We do have a notice about taken students in RTO saying refusal to take a student can result in Disaplinary action. However everyone I know who been taken out or writen up beat the charges at Labor Relations.

That is just ridiculous. This shows the power (or lack there of) of our union. I can't understand why they haven't put a stop to this. Now I understand why RTO, has been slowly killing them.

Thats right the Union doesn't do anything for RTO exept show up when they want a hand out. This is one of many issues we have including denied AVA and VR days and crazy work schedules.

Speaking of New T/O's posting we where talking about them in the crewroom looks like a lot of them are screwing up and repeatedly. I figure by mid next week nobody is taken students.

Speaking of New T/O's posting we where talking about them in the crewroom looks like a lot of them are screwing up and repeatedly. I figure by mid next week nobody is taken students.

That's alot of T/Os to write up, isn't it? Also then who will take the rookies?

That all depends on the T/D or Supt of the line. They will try to force someone if nobody is willing to take the student. Now as the T/O being forced to take a student or be taken out of service or remain in service with a write up you have to decide what you going to do. I personal if I don't want the student but is forced on me would take the student but only let the student go one stop then take over.

Now what happens when nobody wants a student then some T/D's will let a Probationary T/O take the student or a Line TSS will go with the student on a interval to break them in or Repost the line at a later date meaning you will have to make up a day posting when everyone else goes out on their own.

Anyway No Students for me this week! :D

One thing about my Jobs on the (B)ravo and (N)ovember during the week my "report" locations are ones that they dont or very rarely send students to.

There was one there last Monday on the (:D Line at 145 and i had to have a word or two with him to put him in his place, but other than that i dont see any students at my report locations.

When i was a New T/O and a student you say the word "humble" that was my middle name.

"Listen and Learn Rookie"...

Which i did....

I have to admit i had great trainers they showed me "The Rule Book Way"..

Then Last But Not Least the "RTO Way"...

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Now what happens when nobody wants a student then some T/D's will let a Probationary T/O take the student or a Line TSS will go with the student on a interval to break them in or Repost the line at a later date meaning you will have to make up a day posting when everyone else goes out on their own.

Anyway No Students for me this week! :D

WOW :eek:, they let probationaries take out students in RTO? They are very trusting down there. Up here, forget that happening.

Yeah they do it happen to me when I was a Porbationary and never forget it. It was my first time in Jamaica Yd with 11 Months out. This was also my first time since School car I was to do YD moves with R46 Equipment. I sign on and make it known its my first time and they say "Ok the YD TSS will give you a quick run down and you got a student". I just said "You trust me with a student when I am lucky if I know how to cut one of these bad boys". They said 'Yeah no one else wants a student". So I find out the Student is a former C/R so I take him. I told him its the blind leading the blind. The Student was very good I learned a little something that day. He did all my moves didn't have the touch the controls unit they cut my lunch with added moves in that case as per School car I had to release the Student for Lunch since they can't get paid a no lunch but the Student still wanted to keep working. However I talked him into taking his lunch. I figured why should we both suffer. He is the best student I had so far and he is doing very well on this own.

WOW :eek:, they let probationaries take out students in RTO? They are very trusting down there. Up here, forget that happening.

When i came out of Schoolcar on my own in 2001 they used to let Probie T/O's and C/R's work together all the time..

Not any more..

As a matter of fact there are T/O's in the B Div now who i worked with as C/R's in the A Div. We always talk about how it was back then both of us fresh outta Schoolcar, kinda nervous hoping nothing goes wrong..

Some of the times something did go wrong on the road hey thats how it was back then scrapping the wall from White Plains to Flatbush on that (2) train or going from Van Cortlandt to ZooLots on the (1) train..

Pelham Bay Dave went throught it as well he knows...

That was no joke these Rookie T/O's and C/R's out here now have no idea how easy they got it, extra training, TSS's checking up on you, not with us..

On Broadway on the (1) and (2) and (3) lines espeically where the service was just jacked up it was like this..

"Um Hi im a New T/O my frist day here on this line"

The Dispatcher not even looking up at you...

"You are in the East Pocket you Make a 47 if you need a Schedule Card, look over in that box"

There was a TSS on the (2) Line who summed it up just about right he said..

"If you can get through this maddness of being behind all the time(quite a few times i was 7 behind at Flatbush on my LAST trip) going local with out any skips and just dealing with the railroad drama NOTHING down here will ever bother you,nothing"..

You know what??

He was right...:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

There was a TSS on the (2) Line who summed it up just about right he said..

"If you can get through this maddness of being behind all the time(quite a few times i was 7 behind at Flatbush on my LAST trip) going local with out any skips and just dealing with the railroad drama NOTHING down here will ever bother you,nothing"..

You know what??

He was right...:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

We are used to being late up here, as traffic (which as you know means customers and cars) can slow you down. Especially on Fridays.

Yeah RTOman those where the good old or bad old days which ever way you wanted to look at it. Rookies worked together and TSS's and T/D could care less just don't mess the road up or they will throw the book at you. My 3rd day out (C/R) I worked with a T/O 3 Month out on the (1) Line. They let that happen with no supervisors to be found. Then again 3 years ago on the (D) I worked with a Probie C/R and I was a Probie T/O so it still happens but make no mistake a TSS will ride that train just to babysit you to see if you need any assistance.

Maybe its the same TSS but a (2) Line TSS told me this line will make or break you and if it makes you then you can work anywhere in RTO. I think I have done every long horrable run there is in the Systerm I worked local all stops end to end on the (1) 242 to New Lots (2) E241-Flatbush (4) Woodlawn to New Lots (A) 207 to Far Rockaway (D) 205 to Stillwell G.O (N) Astoria to Stillwell Via Tunnel (R) Lines.

Also an Unusual Local long Run I worked a (4) Via (2) Line from 149 GC to E 241. Then Operated the (4) E 241 to New Lots Via 7 AV/BKYN Local. That was do to a (2) train broke down somewhere and Suspended Uptown (2) Service. There was also a GO in Effect (2) Uptown Via Lex (5) Uptown Via 7 AV (4) 2 sections Woodlawn to 149 GC and 125 St to Utica / New Lots.

• 3 weeks later...

Just called a few minutes ago, and last eligible appointed (hired) was 1119.

DCAS still continues to give old info (964 last eligible hired), but again, I call MTA employment directly and get the info. 222 people still ahead. Seems like alot who are called are making the grade this time around, at least for phase 1. Hopefully by the end of next month, I will be learning how to operate something different......

DCAS still continues to give old info (964 last eligible hired), but again, I call MTA employment directly and get the info. 222 people still ahead. Seems like alot who are called are making the grade this time around, at least for phase 1. Hopefully by the end of next month, I will be learning how to operate something different......

So there is only 222 people ahead of you so it won't be too long.

Well, just hang in there and can't forget you still gotta drive boxes for a while longer.....

Archived