New T/O class getting ready to come out

Pelham Bay Dave

Now that we as employees can submit e-mail to Human resources, I did yesterday. I got a response back. It says that I was canvassed to report to Livingston St on 2/13/08. It also says the last # hired was 1246, which when I called last week it was 1119. I hope my letter didn't get lost in the mail, and I did move since I applied but that was 2 years ago, and DCAS was given the new address, and I have a letter from DCAS confirming the new address. The e-mail says for me to either come tomorrow, or next week. I will call them again to get this situation dealt with, so I don't show up based on an e-mail response and look like an ass, if they hadn't called my # for the crack and alcohol test yet. I'll call them in the morning.

I'll inform you all on the situation. They have been know to miss people......

You better get to them ASAP I heard one class is about to hit the road which means a class of T/O's are starting. Also that second class behind them are to be ready in March. I guess since your on the O/C List they didn't give you the day off or at least half the day to come for your Medical. If I were you call them first thing in the morning. Every class that goes by now your losing Senority.

I called Human Resource and Employment this morning. Employment forwarded me to a H.R. person (don't want to give out names). This happened to be the same person who responded to my e-mail. H.R just like employment said that 1119 was the last one hired, but I told them I needed to find out was I called for the drug and alcohol part. You do this and some paperwork first, then you go back for a second time for medical and to be hired (if you pass the medical you are hired on the spot, that same day). The H.R person said that I was suppose to come down on the 13th of this month for the weed and Samuel Adams lover test (she checked her CPU and my list #). DCAS possibly sent them the wrong address (my old one), even though I have a letter of confirmation that they (DCAS) was notified of my new address. So next week Tuesday I will be going down. I was told to bring my S.S. card, drivers license, and H.S. Diploma. I did ask her 3+ times "was I suppose to come down on the date they stated". All 3 times she said yes. She also told me they need a class of 60, which that class will be March 17, 2008. To be honest I want to go down Monday, but they will check my record from here, and I don't need it looking too bad (would take a sick day, but my RDO's are T/W). Even though I know I am losing seniority every work day that goes by, and due to DCAS being f-ups, it shouldn't be too much. Wish me luck for Tuesday..........

Got off from work at 1a.m., went to sleep at 2:30a.m., woke up at 3:30a.m., got the first Bee-Line 2 bus (artic 554 which had a standing load by the time we got to the Bronx border), I didn't pay (as we honor each other). Got the 1 train, to 96st, then caught a 3 train that must of had a redbird as a parent. The lights in car 1641 (S/B lead car) kept flickering on and off, at one point going out completely (glad it didn't destroy my pupils which must of got a dilating workout). Got to Livingston at 6:45 a.m. Most of the people were there for the medicals (mainly B/Os), and some for T/O. Only 8 of us were there for drug tests, so the big room emptied, since they called those taking the medicals first. I filled out the application, some forms that are for exam 2085 (Train Operator), and took the LAB, which they do check for high sugar. I'm all good for now, and now I will just wait for them to call me for the medical. I also have the packet, that I have to fill my life history onto. I have to take that back when called for the medical. Came back home the same way, but caught Orion 656, and that Cummins engine pawns all else. Bee-Line owns NYCTA when it comes to buses and bus engines. DD60 in an artic and Cummins in the O5 are matches made in OMG! heaven.......Those Bee-line 2 drivers know how to move too.......

Got off from work at 1a.m., went to sleep at 2:30a.m., woke up at 3:30a.m., got the first Bee-Line 2 bus (artic 554 which had a standing load by the time we got to the Bronx border), I didn't pay (as we honor each other). Got the 1 train, to 96st, then caught a 3 train that must of had a redbird as a parent. The lights in car 1641 (S/B lead car) kept flickering on and off, at one point going out completely (glad it didn't destroy my pupils which must of got a dilating workout). Got to Livingston at 6:45 a.m. Most of the people were there for the medicals (mainly B/Os), and some for T/O. Only 8 of us were there for drug tests, so the big room emptied, since they called those taking the medicals first. I filled out the application, some forms that are for exam 2085 (Train Operator), and took the LAB, which they do check for high sugar. I'm all good for now, and now I will just wait for them to call me for the medical. I also have the packet, that I have to fill my life history onto. I have to take that back when called for the medical. Came back home the same way, but caught Orion 656, and that Cummins engine pawns all else. Bee-Line owns NYCTA when it comes to buses and bus engines. DD60 in an artic and Cummins in the O5 are matches made in OMG! heaven.......Those Bee-line 2 drivers know how to move too.......

Oh boy do i remember that "packet"...

Had to fill out everything and NO lying, they catch you in a lie they clip you , well 99% of my "group" was Open Competive and we had no formal title to go back to.

Seen them pull somebody right outta Schoolcar because of it..

Oh boy do i remember that "packet"...

Had to fill out everything and NO lying, they catch you in a lie they clip you , well 99% of my "group" was Open Competive and we had no formal title to go back to.

Seen them pull somebody right outta Schoolcar because of it..

The packet does says to the best of your knowledge, but I know they can differentiate between lying, and best of knowledge. I actually got two of those DP-2488 CPD booklets. I will fill out both. Done with one a few minutes ago, now I will just copy the rest of the stuff onto the other.

As for the former title, I think I might have to take a leave of absence from MaBSTOA. I will ask the union Thursday, and may even ask the General Superintendent.

Friday I go in for my medical. I happened to get a later assignment from the union, but I told them I don't know how long I will be in there. They told me since it's a TA medical, that if I can't make it in by 1400hrs, then to call the crew, and just bring in the papers when I get called into the office. They will either dismiss it, or put it in the files that I was out for a legit reason. Everything goes well, I will be in the March 17th class. I also asked the union depot chairman if I have to resign if hired by RTO. He said that I will have to resign, but if I want my job back, I have to put in a request to be reinstated within the year. They will get me my old job back. So I have nothing to worry about, but training, and hoping to get into the A Div. So RTOMan, Northeastern T/O, and possibly Pelham Bay Dave, you all can keep your B Div. I hope to not be any part of it. Me want A.

• 2 months later...

Just called today (May 14, 2008). My name is back on the list, and I am the 77 person on this next batch to be called. Was told by the H.R. person who handles hiring of RTO personnel, this info and that she is just waiting for the info to be downloaded from DCAS to their (MTA) system. This info is the next list of eligibles. Next class should be Monday July 14th. I have to redo the LAB, and they will send a letter to me stating this. But I need not fill out another application, as they already have mines, since I was already there for that. Letter should be coming soon, and they look to start hiring by the end of this month or the beginning of next month. I have to redo the LAB, as the 90 days that it is good, is 90 days up till the date you are hired. Mines expires May 25.

They got a new class of T/O's road posting now. They tryed to give me a student but I didn't take him. The Dispatcher was alittle upset since nobody was taking Students but he was gone when came back from my run so Someone must of took him.

Have you ever had a student before Dave? if so, what was the experience like.

I'm guessing that you didn't take him because you didn't like it or just rather not. Can you elaborate a little.

They tryed to give me a student but I didn't take him. The Dispatcher was alittle upset since nobody was taking Students but he was gone when came back from my run so Someone must of took him.

370px-MrsBroflovski.jpg

WHAT!, WHAT!, that's hawwible.....

Have you ever had a student before Dave? if so, what was the experience like.

I'm guessing that you didn't take him because you didn't like it or just rather not. Can you elaborate a little.

If it's like when they do this in the DOB, it's 2 main reasons.....

1. Don't want the responsibility if something goes wrong

2. Don't want to be delayed

who are you kidding dob? Your not going anywhere!

Just keeps your ears clean so you can hear the sonic boom from my a$$, when I flee the DOB. I am not leaving, resigning, or quitting. I am fleeing as if a plague is coming into the DOB.

I have taken three T/O students in my 3 Years as a T/O. This may become a long post but I'll explain this the best way I can. I am very picky on who I will take as a Student because if the Student messes up the T/O who is training them gets in trouble for the violation as if they did the offence themselfs because they say the Student didn't have control of the train and the Trainer didn't have control over the student. the student will get more training while the Trainer gets time in the street.

Also the idea for having a student T/O doesn't sit well with a lot of Conductors because now they have to be more alert since they get relaxed with there regular T/O's. Also if something happens they have to call it into Control center to report any violations or improper Train Operation. Its not easy knowing if you don't you be in the street with your T/O and if you do you lost your regular T/O because they getting in trouble. Its a uneasy feeling not trusting your partner for 6 Months the student is only there for one day.

The three T/O students that was good which was two Promotionals and one Off the street only one was any good. The guy that was good was my first student at Jamaica Yard. He was on the ball and made a prediction which holds true to this day I said he was going to be a great T/O . He doing very well on his own.

The second student was also a Promotional but wasn't that good I trained him on the (A) Line 207 to Lefferts. He had a problem with Train Control and since he was a former C/R I let him have and yelled at him one time because he almost ran a signal but cleared just in time. This was his 2nd round posting so there was no excuss for what he was doing and told him to really think if he is making the right move. The outcome is he is now a C/R again with no loss of senority.

The last one was from the street. He was a mess because I think he let his nerves get in the way and a Supervisor was riding with us on the first trip. I had to give him a talking too. My C/R was very nerves and shook up about his operation and she got alittle over a year in title.

The T/O is currently on his own but noticed they keep him off the road every chance they get.

So to aviod drama that me and C/R have to deal with its better to reject the student

This is nothing against any future T/O personally but 2 Hours overtime for 8 Hours of training isn't worth the headache. IF no one takes you then you just make up the day another time.

How about people switching from T/O to B/O,is that the exception to the rule? I think you guys are safer than the T/O's on the freight trains,amtrak. People always put stuff on the tracks to try to derail the trains. At least with the subways it is harder to gain access to the tracks.

I almost forgot as part of my last post.

I'll make an exeption for DOB2RTO I'll take him as a Student! So If your bounced to B Div and post the (A)(C) Lines you may get me!lol:D

You better not jinx my A Div dreams............

Its looking like the B Div needs more people. The last class lots of new T/O's I found out been restricted to the platfrom and a few got terminated. I guess RTO isn't playing with the New T/O's anymore.

When they take people off the streets, they should have a longer training process anyway. Those who don't work for RTO or MTA for that matter, don't know how things work or what to expect. Those who got terminated or restricted might have done something bad on the road. But then again alot of people get themselves in trouble, by doing stupid things, such as always being late to work. People who want to work the the MTA, have to realize that whatever they did in the past, is in the past. Here you have to follow the rules, and be on time (to work).

Now what about the A Div, do they need people there?????

Most likey the A Div will need a few bodys like maybe 20 but I'm not sure. You should have senority over your group so you may get your wish.

The training for T/O is the same for O/C and Promotion you got 3 1/2 Mouth A Div and 5 1/2 Months B Div to learn your job. Most of the stuff that gets new T/O's in trouble are Station overruns and Signal Overruns.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived