Longest Commuter Rail Ride?

67thAve

Penn to Greenport technically shouldn't count because no train does that.

It shouldn't, because you have to change/transfer at Ronkonkama. Since you can buy a through ticket however, (but) with Greenport schedules, a Greenport - Philadelphia or Wilmington trip by commuter trains would be interesting.

Montauk to Penn Station is similiar with the change/transfer at Babylon.

(Both cases are diesel to third rail Metropolitan)

@ MegaBus: I think you would need the :septa: R7 to Philadelphia to connect to :njt: :acl: to Atlantic City.

IIRC there is a bus routes you can take to connect SLE with MBTA

NYP-BOS is possible without Amtrak, but it involves an overnight at NLC (New London). I read this somewhere:

MNR to NHV

SLE to NLC

Overnight in NLC

SEAT bus to somewhere near CT/RI border

Walk across border

RIPTA demand-response bus to WES station

RIPTA park and ride bus to PVD

MBTA to BOS

NYP-BOS is possible without Amtrak, but it involves an overnight at NLC (New London). I read this somewhere:

MNR to NHV

SLE to NLC

Overnight in NLC

SEAT bus to somewhere near CT/RI border

Walk across border

RIPTA demand-response bus to WES station

RIPTA park and ride bus to PVD

MBTA to BOS

I learned from Shore Line website, New London only have Amtrak.

I am surpised no one has listed the two metro north lines.

The first is the joint (NJT)metro north port jervis line which is over 2 hours from Hoboken-Port Jervis, NY. Then a short 5 minute walk into PA.

The other is either the Hudson Line's train to Poughkeepsie or the Harlem Valley train to Wassic.

Without a doubt an all day trip.

I learned from Shore Line website, New London only have Amtrak.
New London also has Seat Bus, Yuki. In this case, you'd have to use the SEAT Bus line that gets you closest to the Connecticut/Rhode Island state line, walk across the state line and use a combination of RIPTA bus services to Providence as Amtrak 7 said.

Only other possible way I can think of to cover the gap is Greyhound direct from New London to Providence.

A trip would look like this:

MNRR Grand Central to New Haven

CT DOT Shore Line East New Haven to New London (Weekday Service only)

Greyhound New London to Providence (51 miles)

T Providence/Stoughton Line Providence to South Station

On a Saturday/Sunday, you'd have to go Greyhound New Haven to Providence.

What about outside the northeast? Like Chicago/South Bend, or San Francisco/Gilroy or can you get from LA to San Diego on commuter lines instead of Amtrak? Or is that not what the OP was asking? Just counting single seat rides, not the longest all rail combination sans Amtrak?

Only using commuter systems.... Port jervis to hoboken :mb:, then hoboken to newark nj :njc:, then newark nj to trenton :nec:, then hop :septa: to 30th st (R7), take :ac: train to ACS. If i left on a train leaving port jervis at 11:31 am, i'd get to atlantic city some time after 6 pm. Longest one seat ride i know of time wise end to end is probably going to be on :septa: since they are speed restricted and make lots of stops, they also share route designations (R3, R5), so the terminal is actually the other end of that route before train changes direction.

- A

Archived