When you HAVE to drive, what roads/highways do you prefer/avoid?

Rutgers Tube

I hate the FDR and the (V)an Wyck when it's backed up.

I really (E)njoy the Cross Island and (M)eadowbrook Pkwys...

The Ride going up to Nyack over thr (T)appenzee is A real nice drive ,Very scenic :tup:(K)<R>

The Tap is a fun trip. I think it's strange that a bridge was constructed on what is one of the widest downstate stretches of the Hudson, and that bridge is in terrible condition. But on a clear day, looking north and south from the bridge reveals a whole lot of sights. I like the Bear Mountain for that same reason.

I just remembered Ocean Parkway in Nassau. I've rode that at night, with very few cars, and it's a nice ride.

Ok some of my memorable expereinces driving. Mainly outside of the NYC metro area here i mention.

Favorites

Buffalo/Niagara Falls area-Crossing to/from Canada(usually on way to Toronto every couple of years)i love the Rainbow Bridge(US-Canada side of Nigara Falls)and also the Grand Island Bridge which connects Buffalo-Niagara Falls.

The falls is breathetaking.:eek:

NYS Adirondack Northway(I-87 Nothern section)-Albany-Plattsburgh, NY(Canada border to/from Quebec)the scenic views of the "North Country" including Adirondack Mountain and Lake Champlain is amazing.

Also most direct way-NYC-Montreal.

US Route 22/22a-Glen Falls, NY area-Burlington, VT.-Great views of the scenic

Lake Champlain mountains and rivers/lakes as well.

Interstate 10- from El Paso, Texas-Phoneix, Az.-I really enjoy passing through this area of the Southwest US which also passes through New Mexico as well and the historic Grand Canyon area.

least favorite

Most of the freeways in Southern California-Most of those highways in that part of the West Coast from LA-San Diego 'looks the same' cookie cutter with no creativy. Driving along US 101 near the Pacific Ocean on the other hand is amazing.

The Beltway in the Washington, DC/Northern Virgina area-Their version of the LIE it's parking lot 7 days a week. Even late at night any accident or construction can back up traffic for miles down there. The only bright spot is the recent construction of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge(I95) connecting Maryland-Virgina just outside City of Washington.

Dan Ryan and other Downtown Chicago Freeways-See what i said about LA.

The Interstate highway can be boring.:P

Outside of the tri state area, using I-10 from Florida to Houston,Texas was great and I-45 in Houston was also great.

Florida I-4 and I-75 is great and of course I-95 from Georgia to Miami was some ride also RT-1 into the keys is absolutly amazing.

From Atlanta Georgia I-85 is smooth to Virginia.

The instructors at my truck driving school years ago commented that, in their collective experience, the worst stretch of driving ANYWHERE in the country has always been I-95 between New Haven and Newark. The exit and entrance ramp spacing and location, the congestion, the narrow lines, the perpetual road work, etc... Most of the limited-access highways in this area are not built to meet current Interstate Highway standards.

The instructors at my truck driving school years ago commented that, in their collective experience, the worst stretch of driving ANYWHERE in the country has always been I-95 between New Haven and Newark. The exit and entrance ramp spacing and location, the congestion, the narrow lines, the perpetual road work, etc... Most of the limited-access highways in this area are not built to meet current Interstate Highway standards.

well said.

Another highway closer to home i dislike.

Gowanus/BQE Expressway especially between Battery Tunnel Enterence and Belt Pwy:tdown:.

well said.

Another highway closer to home i dislike.

Gowanus/BQE Expressway especially between Battery Tunnel Enterence and Belt Pwy:tdown:.

Wasn't the bqe voted the worst highway ever built or something?

And I have a few suggestions;

Make the clearview expressway go from the throggs neck bridge to the conduit not hillside avenue and ease traffic on the vanwyck.

rt 135 on long island should go from seaford, merrick avenue to either westchester rt 287 or to connecticut and ease all the truck traffic in queens.

I-495 L.I.E should not end in riverhead exit 73, it should continue on further east.

make a ramp from the westbound l.i.e to the vanwick instead of getting off and taking local streets right to another expressway, on the eastbound l.i.e you have a ramp to the vanwick, its incredible how poorly these things were designed.

Wasn't the bqe voted the worst highway ever built or something?

And I have a few suggestions;

Make the clearview expressway go from the throggs neck bridge to the conduit not hillside avenue and ease traffic on the vanwyck.

rt 135 on long island should go from seaford, merrick avenue to either westchester rt 287 or to connecticut and ease all the truck traffic in queens.

I-495 L.I.E should not end in riverhead exit 73, it should continue on further east.

make a ramp from the westbound l.i.e to the vanwick instead of getting off and taking local streets right to another expressway, on the eastbound l.i.e you have a ramp to the vanwick, its incredible how poorly these things were designed.

Dan not bad ideas. before he died Robert Moses actually wanted to extend the Clearview Expressway to JFK and also a new bridge/tunnel somewhere around western & mid suffolk with the main purpose between between Port Jefferson, LI. and Bridgeport, CT.

However after the diaster of the Cross bronx being bulit in late 1950's the NIMBY's were created in force and an since blocked the Clearview extension in i think the late '60's including succesful lawsuits that blocked any appeals by Moses and his people.

Ditto for a planned eastern nassau/Suffolk Bridge-Fairfield County, CT.in which Moses wanted that structure bulit similar to the nearly 30-mile Cheapaske Bay Bridge-Tunnel in Virgina Beach area but it was blocked by enviormental groups.

And your ideas of extending the LIE further a few miles that a possiblity. However because of the NIMBY's in the Hamptons, it will probably never be bulit and thus Route 27 being the only major road connecting Western Long Island/NYC and Montauk.

When I'm on the clearview its so fustrating that I have to get off hillside make a right to franny lew make a left go all the way down to springfield blvd make a right and continue to the conduit and If i have to go to canarsie make a right or make a left for long island.

Same thing when I'm on the w/b l.i.e and need to get on the vanwyck, I have to get off college point blvd either make a right to go to the whitestone expressway or make a left and get on a bumpy ass hell service road to the vanwyck that they can never fix, you have to see these speed bumps right buy the entrance to the southbound vanwyck, if your in a car you won't feel it as bad but when your in a truck its your poor back getting destroyd.

When I'm on the clearview its so fustrating that I have to get off hillside make a right to franny lew make a left go all the way down to springfield blvd make a right and continue to the conduit and If i have to go to canarsie make a right or make a left for long island.

Same thing when I'm on the w/b l.i.e and need to get on the vanwyck, I have to get off college point blvd either make a right to go to the whitestone expressway or make a left and get on a bumpy ass hell service road to the vanwyck that they can never fix, you have to see these speed bumps right buy the entrance to the southbound vanwyck, if your in a car you won't feel it as bad but when your in a truck its your poor back getting destroyd.

I'm glad that you mentioned that, because now that I've been driving trucks for a decade, I always look at driving on the road as if I'm driving a truck, even in a car (except for when I get nailed 31+ over the limit ;)) For example, the BQE isn't even a logical highway, and if you ever read into the history of how it was planned and designed, it's even more amazing that it's lasted as long as it has. The BQE, as some of the other expressways in the area, are nothing more than separate roads connected together. Heading toward the RFK, one has to take a single-lane exit ramp to stay on the BQE, as opposed to the two-lane continuation to "exit" to the Grand Central Parkway. I've driven 13'6" trucks from Fort Hamilton to Meeker Avenue without an issue, but I know that clearance is tight all through there. The speed limit sucks, there aren't any shoulders, exit ramps vanish onto streets and entrance ramps blindly empty vehicles into the travel lane.

I would have loved to see the Cross-Brooklyn Expressway built, and the LOMEX was an even crazier idea. As brilliant and powerful as Robert Moses was, he also had no regard to environmental impact or future population expansion. As a result, all of his completed projects were controversial and are outdated and overused.

Archived