When you HAVE to drive, what roads/highways do you prefer/avoid?

Rutgers Tube

Love

NJ Turnpike: Aside from the tolls, this is a very safe highway to use and versatile. I like the on/off ramps, easy to read signage and quick access to Six Flags and Philly

NJ Route 537 and U.S. 1/9 in NJ At night, these are the roads to use for avoiding the tolls on the GSP and NJT as well as getting very few traffic signals. For those who don't know about Rt. 537 - - it runs from Mount Holly in South Jersey, past Six Flags and onto Freehold.

U.S. 202 coming off eastbound Bear Mountain Bridge (turn right after paying toll) towards Peekskill/U.S. 6 circle - - AWESOME DRIVE I believe there are at least 30 curves on the downhill run from the bridge to the circle.

WORST

Snarl Bronx Snailway Don't even THINK of using this horrible mess which Robert Moses designed - - 24 hour backupds to the GW and nobod uses the Bronx side streets

Brooklyn to eventually Queens snarlway Ugh written all over it 18 hours a day (and I have a full side street shortcut route - - both ways - - from the V/Z narrows all the way to the LIE - as in LIE down and sleep while you are stuck in this parking lot). Worst entrances to use - - Atlantic Ave, Flushing Ave (westbound), Prospect Expressway exit from westbound BQE - - that tight lane.

Taconic State Parkway north of Westchester line It's not bad driving 2 lanes during the day but at night - - don't bother because it is very dark, tight curves, narrow lanes and anyone can be driving with the lights off - - or worse driving the wrong way while drunk as we all know about what happened last year on the Taconic. South of the Putnam/Westchester line, the Taconic becomes 3 lanes and is easier to use.

I Like:

The Taconic north of Peekskill

Harlem River Drive approaching I-95

Southern State between CIP and Exit 17

Grand Central from Kew Gardens Interchange to the city line

Merrit Parkway

Ocean Parkway besides summer weekends

Bethpage Parkway

I Hate:

Cross Bronx

Van Wyck south of the Grand Central/JRP(I use the way quicker service roads.)

LIE (I still use the service roads.)

New Jersey Turnpike (I use US1 to avoid tolls.)

I-80 between NJ 17 and I-95 (I use US 46.)

JRP

Ohhhhh yeah, sorry you got busted. That stretch from the Throgs Neck to the I-95 is loaded with 'em too. On the Clearview and Throgs Neck Xway I set the cruise to 60 because I know that my foot would go faster. I used to carpool with a dispatcher up to the Bronx who pointed all the cops out to me; she got busted a couple times herself.

Don't feel bad. I got busted doing 71 on a 55 on NJ Route 17 in Ramsey while, doing all things, on a test drive! It's when I got back to the dealership that everyone there said that Route 17 is a speedtrap. Gee thanks, NOW you tell me! The only thing that worked in my favor was that the NYS DMV doesn't honor out-of-state points so I just got slammed with a $105 fine. Now I'll have red light ticket in the mail in a couple days :mad: , but fortunately no points again.

That takes guts, the Belt has a lot of highway cops on it. And yes, those two bridges in Mill Basin are soooo rough. Forget the car, you might lose a tooth filling driving over those.

30+ over the limit is an 8-point infraction and a court summons. I hired an attorney because I need to have my CDL clean for an upcoming civil service exam within my agency. Actually, it's almost a funny story, as when I was pulled over and instinctively reached for my license, insurance and registration, I had to reach into my bag on the floor of the front passenger seat. Before I knew it, both cops had flashlights beaming into the car. They must have thought either I was stashing something or reaching for something.

As far as the Belt goes, I work for an NYC agency, and I have official plates on my vehicle. So, as long as I'm not doing something obnoxious and unsafe, I can "bend" laws during the course of the work day. I never take advantage of that, though. :P

Up until the 1980's there was an express bus route that used the FDR from Riverdale to (I think) lower Manhattan.

Well, it'll have to be 'shorter' than an RTS or something. I seriously doubt they can run a bus on the FDR again.

To be honest, since I rarely get caught up in traffic I find it kind of amusing if the parkway is slammed on a hot summer day. I find great pleasure in others' misfortune. I'm all about Schadenfreude. :cool:

:tup: :P

Love

NJ Turnpike: Aside from the tolls, this is a very safe highway to use and versatile. I like the on/off ramps, easy to read signage and quick access to Six Flags and Philly

NJ Route 537 and U.S. 1/9 in NJ At night, these are the roads to use for avoiding the tolls on the GSP and NJT as well as getting very few traffic signals. For those who don't know about Rt. 537 - - it runs from Mount Holly in South Jersey, past Six Flags and onto Freehold.

U.S. 202 coming off eastbound Bear Mountain Bridge (turn right after paying toll) towards Peekskill/U.S. 6 circle - - AWESOME DRIVE I believe there are at least 30 curves on the downhill run from the bridge to the circle.

WORST

Snarl Bronx Snailway Don't even THINK of using this horrible mess which Robert Moses designed - - 24 hour backupds to the GW and nobod uses the Bronx side streets

Brooklyn to eventually Queens snarlway Ugh written all over it 18 hours a day (and I have a full side street shortcut route - - both ways - - from the V/Z narrows all the way to the LIE - as in LIE down and sleep while you are stuck in this parking lot). Worst entrances to use - - Atlantic Ave, Flushing Ave (westbound), Prospect Expressway exit from westbound BQE - - that tight lane.

Taconic State Parkway north of Westchester line It's not bad driving 2 lanes during the day but at night - - don't bother because it is very dark, tight curves, narrow lanes and anyone can be driving with the lights off - - or worse driving the wrong way while drunk as we all know about what happened last year on the Taconic. South of the Putnam/Westchester line, the Taconic becomes 3 lanes and is easier to use.

Well said:tup:. As someone that lives in Dutchess County, when driving up or down to the 'city' at night dont take the Taconic *North of US Route 6* around the Jefferson Valley. Take the NY Thruway, US Route 9/9a or even I-684/Hutch to get to the '5' boros or North Jersey.

30+ over the limit is an 8-point infraction and a court summons. I hired an attorney because I need to have my CDL clean for an upcoming civil service exam within my agency. Actually, it's almost a funny story, as when I was pulled over and instinctively reached for my license, insurance and registration, I had to reach into my bag on the floor of the front passenger seat. Before I knew it, both cops had flashlights beaming into the car. They must have thought either I was stashing something or reaching for something.

As far as the Belt goes, I work for an NYC agency, and I have official plates on my vehicle. So, as long as I'm not doing something obnoxious and unsafe, I can "bend" laws during the course of the work day. I never take advantage of that, though. :P

you drive a truck on the belt parkway? I drive a truck, and could never even imagine getting on a parkway

you drive a truck on the belt parkway? I drive a truck, and could never even imagine getting on a parkway

I've driven trucks for my agency on every parkway in Brooklyn: Belt/Shore, Eastern, Ocean, Ft. Hamilton. My favorite spot for the truck I use was on the Brooklyn Heights Promenade where the pedestrians congregate in order to do work. What a reaction from both the people in the cars down below. :eek:

I've driven trucks for my agency on every parkway in Brooklyn: Belt/Shore, Eastern, Ocean, Ft. Hamilton. My favorite spot for the truck I use was on the Brooklyn Heights Promenade where the pedestrians congregate in order to do work. What a reaction from both the people in the cars down below. :eek:

Rutgers for this list does it only have to be in the NYC/NJ area? I driven around the country and parts of Canada as well?:P

What kind of truck is this, a box truck or something?

Rutgers for this list does it only have to be in the NYC/NJ area? I driven around the country and parts of Canada as well?:P

I hadn't given it much thought when I asked the original question. Personally, the Beltway around D.C. is murderous driving, and driving through most of the Midwest is murderously boring. If someone has something they feel is worthy of sharing and it concerns a roadway well beyond the metro-region's limits, then, please, by all means, share it with everyone.

What kind of truck is this, a box truck or something?

I've taken three large vehicles on the Belt: An aerial lift/chip box unit, 12'6" height and 33,000# GVWR; wood grapple loader with roll-off container, which is 13'6" in height and 56,000# GVWR and a chip truck towing a chip truck, 11'4" height and 27,500 GVWR.

The Mill Basin Drawbridge doesn't look very sturdy. You're playing Russian Roulette.

The Mill Basin Drawbridge doesn't look very sturdy. You're playing Russian Roulette.

That bridge does rattle a lot, and I'd never take the bridge in heavy congestion. I travel over only during light traffic, and I never stop on the bridge. Those signs are also underrated, just like a lot of the overpass height signs around this borough. I routinely take a 12'6" aerial lift down Avenue J at the Brighton Line tracks, and that's listed at 10'10". I just hit the strobes, straddle the middle of the road, and creep.

If you're familiar with Brooklyn, the Union Street bridge between Nevins Street and Third Avenue in Gowanus is actually a little more treacherous, IMO.

BTW, I'm confident in my driving abilities, I've been driving large vehicles for over a decade, I know my equipment well and I don't do anything blindly. However, I don't recommend that anyone try to pull similar stunts. Always use caution.

30+ over the limit is an 8-point infraction and a court summons. I hired an attorney because I need to have my CDL clean for an upcoming civil service exam within my agency.

Traffic court attorneys are worthless, the only thing they do is represent you if you can't make it there. There's nothing that you can't plead to or bargain yourself that these guys can get. Traffic court attorneys must have gotten C's and D's in law school.

You can plead down to a zero point ticket, but the more points you want to knock off, the more expensive that ticket is going to be. For example, when I had my speeding ticket for doing 16 mph over the limit in NJ, that was a 4-point $105 ticket. If I wanted to plead it down to a zero point ticket, I would have had to pay $450.

Traffic court attorneys are worthless, the only thing they do is represent you if you can't make it there. There's nothing that you can't plead to or bargain yourself that these guys can get. Traffic court attorneys must have gotten C's and D's in law school.

You can plead down to a zero point ticket, but the more points you want to knock off, the more expensive that ticket is going to be. For example, when I had my speeding ticket for doing 16 mph over the limit in NJ, that was a 4-point $105 ticket. If I wanted to plead it down to a zero point ticket, I would have had to pay $450.

If I plead it down and pay the fee, is the infraction tossed as well, or it's reduced to something like speeding over the posted limit?

As far as the attorney goes, I hired some guy who's on the radio and several of my co-workers use the cat as well, so maybe I'll luck out. My record is clean for the past six years otherwise. Thanks for that info though.

If I plead it down and pay the fee, is the infraction tossed as well, or it's reduced to something like speeding over the posted limit?

As far as the attorney goes, I hired some guy who's on the radio and several of my co-workers use the cat as well, so maybe I'll luck out. My record is clean for the past six years otherwise. Thanks for that info though.

you work for the city, the cop coudn't give you a break?

Ive been pulled over 50 thousand times, In nyc or any county traffic court you cannot plead a moving violation, its either win 1.no fine and points or 2. fine + points.

If you get banged in nassau or suffolk ect. and its a village court the cop decides to have you appear, they'll plead it down to something without points, trust me I learned this the hard way.

I don't think you can get out of state points on your ny license, I've been banged out in florida and virginia and connecticut and no points on my license, but it does show up on your mvr as a out of state violation but no points, trust me I've been thru this.

That bridge does rattle a lot, and I'd never take the bridge in heavy congestion. I travel over only during light traffic, and I never stop on the bridge. Those signs are also underrated, just like a lot of the overpass height signs around this borough. I routinely take a 12'6" aerial lift down Avenue J at the Brighton Line tracks, and that's listed at 10'10". I just hit the strobes, straddle the middle of the road, and creep.

If you're familiar with Brooklyn, the Union Street bridge between Nevins Street and Third Avenue in Gowanus is actually a little more treacherous, IMO.

BTW, I'm confident in my driving abilities, I've been driving large vehicles for over a decade, I know my equipment well and I don't do anything blindly. However, I don't recommend that anyone try to pull similar stunts. Always use caution.

The Brooklyn Bridge has a posted clearance of 11 feet, but I'm pretty sure the real clearance is at least 13 feet. They probably put 11 feet to discourage trucks and buses from using it.

you work for the city, the cop coudn't give you a break?

A precinct cop who pulls you over might give you a break; however, highway cops are tough as nails. I've heard that regular NYPD off-duty officers have been pulled over by them...and the highway cop would still write a ticket telling them that they should've known better. The highway cops are looked at as if they belong to Internal Affairs.

Finally, the only two out-of-state jurisdictions where a NY driver can see points on their driving record are Ontario and Québec.

Archived