Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

My Plan To Unclog Queens Plaza Jct.

67thAve

1. Terminate the (G) at Court Sq. all times.

2. Open up the hidden trackway at Lex-63rd.

3.Remove the local tracks after the interlocking.

4. Remove express switches to the 63rd St. Tunnel.

5. Reroute the (R)(V) through 63rd St.

6. The (E)(F) go through 53rd St.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Terminate the (G) at Court Sq. all times.

2. Open up the hidden trackway at Lex-63rd.

3.Remove the local tracks after the interlocking.

4. Remove express switches to the 63rd St. Tunnel.

5. Reroute the (R)(V) through 63rd St.

6. The (E)(F) go through 53rd St.

This has been discussed so many times it's not even funny. For starters, terminating the (G) at Court Square permanently is only being done as a cost-cutting procedure if the service cuts go through. Second, the hidden tracks at Lexington Avenue and 63rd Street are leads for the Second Avenue subway, and once Phase 1 is completed, the (Q) will go to 72nd Street. Third, not only is rerouting the (R) to 63rd Street a bad idea, but rerouting the (V) to 63rd Street is even worse. By allowing the (F) to operate through 63rd Street, it eases crowding along 53rd Street so Queens Boulevard Express passengers won't be in just one place: they have the option of taking the (F) if needed to because the Lexington Avenue station at 53rd Street gets EVRY crowded. By keeping the (V) along 53rd Street, it gives QB riders the option of a local instead of waiting at Queens Plaza for an (R) train.

The (F) not connecting to the (6) is a major PITA for people coming from Queens. This service pattern makes the (E) the sole option for people from Eastern Queens to midtown.

The out-of-system transfer exists at Lexington Avenue and 63rd Street for a reason: to curb crowding away from the 53rd Street corridor. There is also the option of taking the (7) at Jackson Heights, or for the most part, the (R) or the (V) in parallel to the (E) and (F).

The (F) not connecting to the (6) is a major PITA for people coming from Queens. This service pattern makes the (E) the sole option for people from Eastern Queens to midtown.

No it's not. Take the (E) or the (V). Oh, right. God forbid anyone should spend just a few more minutes by taking a local train.

I used to think the (V) should have been the train to operate via 63rd street when the connection was opened. But if you look at the bigger picture, 53rd Street was very congested, and still is. The (V) offers relief and additional service down 6th Avenue while the (F) travels via a less congested route.

And removing the (R) from queens plaza via 60th is a very bad idea.

No it's not. Take the (E) or the (V). Oh, right. God forbid anyone should spend just a few more minutes by taking a local train.

People always think that the express will always be their means of relief. What happens if the express is f***ed up? Take the local!

In high school, I always took the (C) from my home station at Utica Avenue to the (L) at Eighth Avenue and 14th Street to Bedford Avenue. Even by taking the local, I got to school within 40 minutes. If I took the express, I would have saved five minutes, at most.

Passengers need to accompdate extra time into their commute in the event that something goes wrong. The express is not always going to get the job done.

you know besides the (E) the QBL has the (V) at 53 Street and the (R) connects with the (4)(5) and (6) at 59th Street / Lexington Av.

Its not that big of an issue.

The out-of-system transfer exists at Lexington Avenue and 63rd Street for a reason: to curb crowding away from the 53rd Street corridor. There is also the option of taking the (7) at Jackson Heights, or for the most part, the (R) or the (V) in parallel to the (E) and (F).

Out of system transfers are very very very unfriendly to riders, especially ones from out of town. And when it is raining, snowing or just very cold and windy, people want to make transfers underground. Also, out of system transfers mean you need to deal with cars and other pedestrians not trying to catch a train.

Out of system transfers are very very very unfriendly to riders, especially ones from out of town. And when it is raining, snowing or just very cold and windy, people want to make transfers underground. Also, out of system transfers mean you need to deal with cars and other pedestrians not trying to catch a train.

If they don't want to take the out of system transfer, get on another train. Some times it is not practical to have an in system transfer like 45 Rd and Court Square on the (7) and (G).

7 to G,V,R at 45th Rd, Court Square, 23rd St is becoming an enclosed transfer point. Construction id due to be finished some time this year. There is some hassles with this transfer during the long construction process but that is to be expected. E transfer to the 6 at 53rd st is a long transfer although enclosed. The problem with the F at 63rd St is that the station is so far below ground any transfer will take time.

If they don't want to take the out of system transfer, get on another train. Some times it is not practical to have an in system transfer like 45 Rd and Court Square on the (7) and (G).

I'm not saying that an in system transfer is always practical, but the concept of out of system transfer is just silly. With metrocards, every station is an out of system transfer. I could take the R to Prince St. and walk to houston to get on the d.

I'm not saying that an in system transfer is always practical, but the concept of out of system transfer is just silly. With metrocards, every station is an out of system transfer. I could take the R to Prince St. and walk to houston to get on the d.

It's not silly, it makes the system very flexible for people who know the system and need to get somewhere faster then by taking normal transfers. What makes out of system transfers a good idea is that it costs no money to create them.

Thats what I do going home. Get off at Jay St, walk over to Lawrence St and take the (R). With my unlimited metro-card it's pretty much like an out of system transfer :P

In a few months you won't have to do that.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Who knows when the transfer will be completed. That being said, I'm very excited for it.

I see it every day, there moving.... slowly as usual but it is going.

I see it every day, there moving.... slowly as usual but it is going.

Why exactly is it taking so long? Obviously I don't have all the info, but it seems like an awful long time to build what is a relatively short tunnel. Then again, all MTA work seems to take forever.

Why exactly is it taking so long? Obviously I don't have all the info, but it seems like an awful long time to build what is a relatively short tunnel. Then again, all MTA work seems to take forever.

It's not being done by the MTA, its been contracted out.

It's not being done by the MTA, its been contracted out.

Then one should think the work would have been done quickly. A private team will want to move out as quickly as possible. This project began when, late 07?

Then one should think the work would have been done quickly. A private team will want to move out as quickly as possible. This project began when, late 07?

It's pretty much the opposite. They try to milk as much as money as possible.

Thank you for speaking the truth. Most of the people using the (F) at Lexington/63rd are coming from Bloomingdales or Hunter College. Hardly anyone makes the OOS transfer.

I used to think the (V) should have been the train to operate via 63rd street when the connection was opened. But if you look at the bigger picture, 53rd Street was very congested, and still is. The (V) offers relief and additional service down 6th Avenue while the (F) travels via a less congested route.

And removing the (R) from queens plaza via 60th is a very bad idea.

I'd rather take a crowded train that goes to my destination than an empty train that requires two or three transfers. The (F) operating via 53rd is a waste. There's a reason why (E) trains are always more crowded than the (F).

Archived