My Plan To Unclog Queens Plaza Jct.

67thAve

It's pretty much the opposite. They try to milk as much as money as possible.

Well, if you just set up a deal with the contractor to pay for a job based on deliverables instead of by time then you don't run into this problem. Now if a poorly run, corrupt, organization hires an outside team to do work, who knows what will happen.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you for speaking the truth. Most of the people using the (F) at Lexington/63rd are coming from Bloomingdales or Hunter College. Hardly anyone makes the OOS transfer.

I remember when they started putting the transfer on the map, I tried a few times to transfer from the F to an uptown 6. I honestly spent like 20 minutes looking for the transfer. At least they had the smarts to change things and tell riders the transfer is outside. The 63rd st stop on the F is one of the worst stations in the system to deal with. The escalators take you so deep. It must be a good 3 minutes from street to subway car, even if you move quickly.

1. Terminate the (G) at Court Sq. all times.

2. Open up the hidden trackway at Lex-63rd.

3.Remove the local tracks after the interlocking.

4. Remove express switches to the 63rd St. Tunnel.

5. Reroute the (R)(V) through 63rd St.

6. The (E)(F) go through 53rd St.

That's a terrible idea. 53rd is crowded as it is and it'll be even more crowded because the R no longer has a direct connection to the Lexington lines. The R should stay on 60th St.

The F being split from the E also allows them to run slightly more E and F trains. Putting both lines back on 53rd will force them to cut a few trains and that is not good overall.

Plus god forbid people actually has to stay on the local and get some breathing space for at most 5-10min extra on the commuting time...

53rd and 63rd will both have stations on the SAS right? It's ultimately the best solution.

The last map I saw shows no station at 63rd Street because that will be a track connection between the 2nd Av line and the 63rd Street line. The map I am looking at shows a station at 55th Street with connection to the (E) and (V) and a station at 72nd Street. A connection to the (F) is not physically possible.

The last map I saw shows no station at 63rd Street because that will be a track connection between the 2nd Av line and the 63rd Street line. The map I am looking at shows a station at 55th Street with connection to the (E) and (V) and a station at 72nd Street. A connection to the (F) is not physically possible.

Yup that's correct. Current SAS plans call for a station at 55th/2nd with connection to the (E)(V). Transfer from SAS to the (F) at 63rd would be made using the (Q) from north of 72nd, which will transfer across the platform at 63/Lex.

This has been discussed so many times it's not even funny. For starters, terminating the (G) at Court Square permanently is only being done as a cost-cutting procedure if the service cuts go through. Second, the hidden tracks at Lexington Avenue and 63rd Street are leads for the Second Avenue subway, and once Phase 1 is completed, the (Q) will go to 72nd Street. Third, not only is rerouting the (R) to 63rd Street a bad idea, but rerouting the (V) to 63rd Street is even worse. By allowing the (F) to operate through 63rd Street, it eases crowding along 53rd Street so Queens Boulevard Express passengers won't be in just one place: they have the option of taking the (F) if needed to because the Lexington Avenue station at 53rd Street gets EVRY crowded. By keeping the (V) along 53rd Street, it gives QB riders the option of a local instead of waiting at Queens Plaza for an (R) train.

You are right on all counts but the (G) only ran on QB for three weekends last year, all during the holiday season.

Out of system transfers are very very very unfriendly to riders, especially ones from out of town. And when it is raining, snowing or just very cold and windy, people want to make transfers underground. Also, out of system transfers mean you need to deal with cars and other pedestrians not trying to catch a train.

Then use the (R).

1. Terminate the (G) at Court Sq. all times.

2. Open up the hidden trackway at Lex-63rd.

3.Remove the local tracks after the interlocking.

4. Remove express switches to the 63rd St. Tunnel.

5. Reroute the (R)(V) through 63rd St.

6. The (E)(F) go through 53rd St.

OK first of all why do you want the "congestion" at "Queens Blvd. Jct." to be alleviated? The only congestion in this area is the (V) merging with the (E) (in which the (E) almost always goes first and the (R) doesn't run frequently enough to be backed up significantly - aside from some points in rush hour), along with the (E) merging with the (F) queensbound east of the station. Neither warrants service changes like these. The (V) was made to be on 53rd St. for a reason. Local riders want access to 53rd St. stations. Everyone says the (V) is empty but if you wait at Queens Plaza at rush hour then you will see that the train is SRO, or there are at most a few seats available (especially in the first half of the train).

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Who knows when the transfer will be completed. That being said, I'm very excited for it.

http://www.mta.info/mta/budget/july2009/july09_vol2part3.pdf shows that it will be done by March 2011.

That's a terrible idea. 53rd is crowded as it is and it'll be even more crowded because the R no longer has a direct connection to the Lexington lines. The R should stay on 60th St.

The F being split from the E also allows them to run slightly more E and F trains. Putting both lines back on 53rd will force them to cut a few trains and that is not good overall.

Plus god forbid people actually has to stay on the local and get some breathing space for at most 5-10min extra on the commuting time...

Give people the CHOICE of taking the local or express. Do not create a service pattern that FORCES them to take the local. And FYI, there are less (F) trains running now that prior to December 2001. The other day I was at Roosevelt and I needed to get to Lexington/53rd. I saw the (F) arrive and I had to let it pass since it didn't go to where I needed to go. I had to wait for the (E).

The other day I was at Roosevelt and I needed to get to Lexington/53rd. I saw the (F) arrive and I had to let it pass since it didn't go to where I needed to go. I had to wait for the (E).

Ok, so what. The (E) is still an express route so how does it matter that you had to wait? Thats like saying I was at Bergen Street and needed to go to Jay Street when a (G) came and I had to wait for the (F).

Your ideas are good, but I'll have to respectfully disagree and say that the services are fine now. I think that the (E)(V) via 53rd Street and the (F) via 63rd Street is good.

If the (R) runs via 63rd Street, then which Queens Boulevard line should go serve via the 59-60 Street Connector?

Give people the CHOICE of taking the local or express. Do not create a service pattern that FORCES them to take the local. And FYI, there are less (F) trains running now that prior to December 2001. The other day I was at Roosevelt and I needed to get to Lexington/53rd. I saw the (F) arrive and I had to let it pass since it didn't go to where I needed to go. I had to wait for the (E).

Big flippin' whoop! And guess what? You could have taken the (V)! Jesus Christ, stop overcrowding the damn express and get on the local!!!

Big flippin' whoop! And guess what? You could have taken the (V)! Jesus Christ, stop overcrowding the damn express and get on the local!!!

Agreed. the express isnt always the best choice. perfect example, Lex Ave during the rush hours. 9 out of 10 times, the 6 either keeps up with the 4/5, or beat it.

Similar on Fulton in BK. if im on a C and i just miss an A connection, i stay on the C. chances are, the C will be right behind that A

Ok, so what happens to 57th Street? Are you just going to close it over the weekends when the (V) does not run?

Or how about dealing with the massive crowds that are once again back at 53rd/Lex/3rd? The main reason the V replaced the F there. Improvement goes forward, not backward

Guys the (F) and (V) virtually has no difference only that the (V) serves the 53rd St. Tunnel and is a local version of the (F)... It is just 10 block difference, what is the difference?

Simple: people think that grouping the expresses together and isolating the local would do justice when the fact of the matter is that it won't.

I don't have time to waste on locals. People like myself have jobs and other obligations. The service patterns should cater to the needs of the majority. At Union Turnpike 1/3 of the riders on the (F) switch to the (E) since the (E) goes to where they need to go while the (F) makes random stops in the middle of nowhere like Roosevelt Island.

Well what do you call the E and V then? THAT IS A CHOICE OF LOCAL OR EXPRESS.

I don't have time to waste on locals. People like myself have jobs and other obligations. The service patterns should cater to the needs of the majority. At Union Turnpike 1/3 of the riders on the (F) switch to the (E) since the (E) goes to where they need to go while the (F) makes random stops in the middle of nowhere like Roosevelt Island.

people on Roosevelt Is have jobs too.

and those union tnpk passengers switching to the E may be going to 8th ave or lower manhattan. do you ask them all where they are going?

And i too have a job and obligations and i find that at certain times, the local can get you there just as fast as the express.

The point, think on a larger scale. one person isnt the only one riding the system. millions are.

Archived