What Would You Replace the M8s With?

gregorygrice

Lol or maybe we can also have Gordon pull the express to New Haven:p

Lol I don't know what they were thinking with that. If they were gonna have the lights like that they didn't have to make them stick out like that.

Which makes the train look even more Japanese than it already is.

Heres a news flash:

The M8s werent designed by Kawasaki nor anyone asian.

The exterior designer of the new M8s is also responsible for the following equipment:

NJTs Comet 5's, 6's Pl42AC's ALP46's and the livery on them

The "Genisis" loco (AMD-103/P40/P42)

and others including Sweden's X2000 (part of a team)

Heres his new site:

http://www.vergarastudio.com

Ive been following his work since the late 90's

But yeah, I dont know WHAT he was thinkin with the upper headlights on the M8s :confused:

Heres a news flash:

The M8s werent designed by Kawasaki nor anyone asian.

The exterior designer of the new M8s is also responsible for the following equipment:

NJTs Comet 5's, 6's Pl42AC's ALP46's and the livery on them

The "Genisis" loco (AMD-103/P40/P42)

and others including Sweden's X2000 (part of a team)

Heres his new site:

http://www.vergarastudio.com

Ive been following his work since the late 90's

But yeah, I dont know WHAT he was thinkin with the upper headlights on the M8s :confused:

Thanks for that info Far Rock Depot. Those are some really good designs on those trains. But maybe he was trying to make a futuristic look on it but kinda failed:p

Thanks for that info Far Rock Depot. Those are some really good designs on those trains. But maybe he was trying to make a futuristic look on it but kinda failed:p

Acutally as of recent quite the opposite. The PL42AC's were designed with the old Baldwin Shark locos in mind. The headlight "hump" on the M8s are like the tail light fins on old cars from the60s and 70s. But his designs prior were inspired by cadillac designs since the 90s. (Kinda like me).

Now back to topic. Lol.

I support the idea of a "red M7" from a traditional standpoint, and I don't think the current M8 is particularly hideous, but something like a bi-level MU would still be cool, if it could fit in the tunnel and be compatible with the current overhead power.

Here's an example, although I'd change a few things with the front. (Make it a bit more like the NJT bi-levels or LIRR C3)

800px-IL_passenger_car.jpg

I think the most important thing would be to have the MUs rated for 110-120mph in case the rails become upgraded in the future.

I support the idea of a "red M7" from a traditional standpoint, and I don't think the current M8 is particularly hideous, but something like a bi-level MU would still be cool, if it could fit in the tunnel and be compatible with the current overhead power.

Here's an example, although I'd change a few things with the front. (Make it a bit more like the NJT bi-levels or LIRR C3)

800px-IL_passenger_car.jpg

I think the most important thing would be to have the MUs rated for 110-120mph in case the rails become upgraded in the future.

I wish Amtrak/MNRR would upgraded the catenary wires so that the acela can live to its potential:( But yeah imagine those running a super express to GCT:tup:

z08_img01.jpg

Nice from Japan:tup::tup: we could add a red stripe to that!

• 2 weeks later...

I like the M8s where they are, and the ideas for relocating R32s or restoring Redbirds is fun, but how many of you would like to see something like this:

R179FrontDay.jpg

R179SideDay.jpg

R179CabEndFarDay.jpg

R179CabEndCloseDay.jpg

R1792EndFarDay.jpg

R1792EndCloseDay.jpg

R179MainCabConsoleDay.jpg

R179AuxiliaryCabConsoleDay.jpg

R179FrontSignCLoseDay.jpg

R179SideSignCloseDay.jpg

R179InteriorSignCLoseDay.jpg

Now, for actual MNRR runs it would be upgraded to plush seating and possibly a forward-facing configuration.

• 1 month later...

Archived