Question About The Third Rail On Outdoor Portions

EE Broadway Local

They the "KY" train puts something down to in cress adhesion. During major snow storms they send out deicer trains. The work motors have scrapper shoes to clean off the 3rd rail and I think the special deicer car might apply some chemical to the rail so ice does not form on the rail head. I'm not 100% sure though.

Thanks. And on a somewhat-related note, do outdoor third rails and tracks tend to require replacement and repair more often than the underground infrastructure? I'd think that exposure to the elements would bring that about.

Thanks. And on a somewhat-related note, do outdoor third rails and tracks tend to require replacement and repair more often than the underground infrastructure? I'd think that exposure to the elements would bring that about.

Let me check on that. One statistic that I do remember was that when old South ferry was in use, the rails there were replaced every few weeks. I think out door rails get replaced a alot faster. I have noticed that when they do "chip outs", thy usually do not remove the third rail. Usually they tie the whole 3rd rail to the columns and place it back when work is done for the weekend. One think to remember is that the 3rd rail is steel just like the running trails and each contact shoe pushes down with only 30 lbs not the hundreds of tons that a train exerts on the trail.

Let me check on that. One statistic that I do remember was that when old South ferry was in use, the rails there were replaced every few weeks. I think out door rails get replaced a alot faster. I have noticed that when they do "chip outs", thy usually do not remove the third rail. Usually they tie the whole 3rd rail to the columns and place it back when work is done for the weekend. One think to remember is that the 3rd rail is steel just like the running trails and each contact shoe pushes down with only 30 lbs not the hundreds of tons that a train exerts on the trail.

Not to mention that flat wheels, especially in cold weather, won't cause a third rail to crack and require replacement.

When you refer to the old S.F., you're referring to the running rails because of the tight curve radius, which must have constantly been worn to hell, even with the grease sprayers, correct?

If you can, see what you can find out regarding switch replacement too. Logically, I'd think that any infrastructure located outdoors and exposed to the elements would tend to have a shorter lifespan and require more maintenance, more often, than indoor infrastructure.

Not to mention that flat wheels, especially in cold weather, won't cause a third rail to crack and require replacement.

When you refer to the old S.F., you're referring to the running rails because of the tight curve radius, which must have constantly been worn to hell, even with the grease sprayers, correct?

If you can, see what you can find out regarding switch replacement too. Logically, I'd think that any infrastructure located outdoors and exposed to the elements would tend to have a shorter lifespan and require more maintenance, more often, than indoor infrastructure.

correct about SF. Greasers mainly cut down on the noise.

I spoke with someone from NYCT infrastructure and construction supply procurement, and he said that he BELIEVES (emphasized that it's not a fact!) running rails and switches underground are replaced more often than those on outdoor segments because of the standing water. Another person I know who works with traction power claims that third rails don't need to be replaced often at all, regardless of the environment.

Archived