Mayor Bloomberg: If students can't get free MetroCards, neither should retired MTA

CPBO

I agree, if they are going to public schools [not specialized ones Tech, Sty, etc], they should stay in schools in their area and at most to the neighboring schools. Improve those schools than to 'outsource' the kids to another borough.

Yeahhh no lol

Like I said before...and btw I respect your opinion Im just saying lol...I should be able to go to whatever school I want to go to and not be limited to which ever one costs less for me to go to. If I want to go to a school in Manhattan that has something Im interested in pursuing then why should I go to some pos school 5 blocks away where most of the kids...at least in the other academies we share the campus with, hardly even show up..and the teachers every day just come in with a newspaper and kick their feet up and chill out, ONLY because it's walking distance? Don't just throw us into the closest school, My school is a great school where the teachers actually care about our education but still, I didn't choose to go there...I was thrown into the zoned school because my parents decided the school I wanted to go to was "too far" when it really wasn't. At any rate, we shouldn't be having the school metro debate where everyone seems to blame the kids, because the funding should be solid no matter where it comes from...and based on how far they are from the school and what their income is because if you can afford 150 dollar sneakers and a 290 dollar phone, THEY should be sent to their damn zoned school or their parents should pay for their transportation(not trying to be harsh because some of them want to learn too but are just spoiled because their parents try to buy their kids love) but the lower-income kids that really wanna learn should be able to go to school anywhere in the city and not have to worry about transportation and what not...I have spoken lol

I don't think that because of the parents income their kids should have to settle for their usually crappy zoned school. I mean they give us the big ass book of high schools for a reason lol to pick the school we feel best fits what we want to pursue in life...that's the choice we make and should be able to stick with that choice...well the ones again that WANT to do something with their life. If you guys are so worried about us using our student metrocards outside of the times when were not supposed to use them...yet they always work on vacation weekdays...which IMO is kind of a scam because if I'm stupid enough to use my metrocard on Christmas Eve someone was stupid enough to leave it on knowing most kids don't think about consequences of their actions until their actions are done, and I get a summonse or w/e, cut em off and give those few kids that go to school during those times special metrocards or something.

And it's not me who cares about how or when you guys use your pass if you exceed the daily trip allotment then I will have you paying the 2.25 fare. You say kids don't think of the consequence that's too bad it's printed on the back the card. And as far as using it on vacation times, if you use the cards theb by early june and january your cards become invalid because the ride are counted for during the semester. So it's kinda of like use it at your own risk type of thing. If the students are suppose to be learning in school they should learn how to use their passes in the correct manner.

And it's not me who cares about how or when you guys use your pass if you exceed the daily trip allotment then I will have you paying the 2.25 fare. You say kids don't think of the consequence that's too bad it's printed on the back the card. And as far as using it on vacation times, if you use the cards theb by early june and january your cards become invalid because the ride are counted for during the semester. So it's kinda of like use it at your own risk type of thing. If the students are suppose to be learning in school they should learn how to use their passes in the correct manner.

Then IMO they should learn to cut the cards off when they aren't supposed to be used...and not just at 8:30. I mean holidays too..and yeah at the other post lol Bloomberg should give some of that 4th term money to the TA or the DOT or whoever instead of just hating on TA workers lol.

Then IMO they should learn to cut the cards off when they aren't supposed to be used...and not just at 8:30. I mean holidays too..and yeah at the other post lol Bloomberg should give some of that 4th term money to the TA or the DOT or whoever instead of just hating on TA workers lol.

True, but you guys have to look at this way. You know when your suppose to use the pass and when your not suppose to. It's like anyone can jump over the turnstyles or go under, you know it's wrong so if you take the risk of doing it and get caught then you have to pay the consequences . So I have no sympathy for any student getting a summons for using their pass on a non school day or after 830pm. And as far as the zone school being crappy, once again this is a city,state and DOE problem not the MTA's.

True, but you guys have to look at this way. You know when your suppose to use the pass and when your not suppose to. It's like anyone can jump over the turnstyles or go under, you know it's wrong so if you take the risk of doing it and get caught then you have to pay the consequences . So I have no sympathy for any student getting a summons for using their pass on a non school day or after 830pm. And as far as the zone school being crappy, once again this is a city,state and DOE problem not the MTA's.

I understand but I still see it as them waiting for us to slip up so they can slip us a summons lol....Although yeah I don't sympathize when my friends tell me they got stopped for using their card during the Christmas break and they wanna claim profiling...and when they get mad I just tell em "hey whos the one with the court date you or me?"

I understand but I still see it as them waiting for us to slip up so they can slip us a summons lol....Although yeah I don't sympathize when my friends tell me they got stopped for using their card during the Christmas break and they wanna claim profiling...and when they get mad I just tell em "hey whos the one with the court date you or me?"

Exactly the trap is set and it's up to you to take the bate. Your friends had the option of paying their fare with a regular metrocard. But they choose to use their student metrocards and got caught. The MTA makes alot of money off of fare beaters ($100 bucks a pop now) with summons and community service. They could easily put up HEETs (High Entry Exit Turnstyles) and virtually eliminate fare beating or at least bring it to an extreme minimum. But they want people to hop so cops can give out summons and they get the money from it, Or they get you for a few weeks for community service.

Exactly the trap is set and it's up to you to take the bate. Your friends had the option of paying their fare with a regular metrocard. But they choose to use their student metrocards and got caught. The MTA makes alot of money off of fare beaters ($100 bucks a pop now) with summons and community service. They could easily put up HEETs (High Entry Exit Turnstyles) and virtually eliminate fare beating or at least bring it to an extreme minimum. But they want people to hop so cops can give out summons and they get the money from it, Or they get you for a few weeks for community service.

As I'm sure you're aware, even the HEETs are popular for people going in 2-at-a-time. I once entered at the HEET at the other end of Woodhaven Blvd Sta w/o the booth ... and a student who appeared to be buying a card at the machine pushed me thru the HEET and got in on my fare. There is also the case where one person goes thru a HEET and opens the emergency exit gate, often for a group of other students as I've seen. Or people just wait for a train load to exit thru the gate and then go thru before it closes. This happens a lot at the 85 St exit at 86/4 since a Manhattan-bound train usually comes in shortly after a 95 St-bound. These seem to be more popular than jumping.

As I'm sure you're aware, even the HEETs are popular for people going in 2-at-a-time. I once entered at the HEET at the other end of Woodhaven Blvd Sta w/o the booth ... and a student who appeared to be buying a card at the machine pushed me thru the HEET and got in on my fare. There is also the case where one person goes thru a HEET and opens the emergency exit gate, often for a group of other students as I've seen. Or people just wait for a train load to exit thru the gate and then go thru before it closes. This happens a lot at the 85 St exit at 86/4 since a Manhattan-bound train usually comes in shortly after a 95 St-bound. These seem to be more popular than jumping.

Yeah but I'm sure if you read my post a little more closely you would see I said if not eliminate fare beating bring it to an extreme minimum. We know people double up all the time but someone still has to pay a fare so the turnstyle will move. Unlike the regular ones were anyone can crawl under or hop over. And as far as the gate, we know about that too, but once again someone still has to either pay a fare first or wait for people to come out of the gate and walk thru. Fare beating is never going to stop 100% and the TA does not want to either. This is another cash cow for them. It cost each farebeater that is caught $100 dollars. So when you get caught you're paying for about 44-45 rides in that one violation. Trust me people may get away with for a while but you pay for all those other times you got over with beating the fare. I see people get caught every day and it's always funny when I hear them try to bs the cop by saying this is their first time hoping the train. Yeah right maybe your first time getting caught.

But they want people to hop so cops can give out summons and they get the money from it, Or they get you for a few weeks for community service.

They can clean the train cars at the stations, for community service. Phase out the cleaners, have the farebeats do this, while fining them, you make money, while getting the trains cleaned for free (don't have to pay no medical, dental, vision, pension, etc........)............

They can clean the train cars at the stations, for community service. Phase out the cleaners, have the farebeats do this, while fining them, you make money, while getting the trains cleaned for free (don't have to pay no medical, dental, vision, pension, etc........)............

Nah they have them clean stations with a CTA. They have to be working with a transit employee at all times and must wear the blue community service work vest. So essentially they get up to four people cleaning a subway station while only paying 1 person. So either you pay $100 or give them at least $500 of work for free over the course of a few weekends. A CTA makes about $22.81 an hour so for 8 hours of work you give them $182.48 a day for free. And when you multiply that by the three people they have working with the 1 CTA they save $547.44 in wages in one day. All while as you said not paying no medical. dental or pension ect. Sounds like a good deal for them. So the next time any of fordhamkid's friends decide to use their school pass on non school days or jump the turnstyle they should think about all it's going to cost them.

Nah they have them clean stations with a CTA. They have to be working with a transit employee at all times and must wear the blue community service work vest. So essentially they get up to four people cleaning a subway station while only paying 1 person. So either you pay $100 or give them at least $500 of work for free over the course of a few weekends. A CTA makes about $22.81 an hour so for 8 hours of work you give them $182.48 a day for free. And when you multiply that by the three people they have working with the 1 CTA they save $547.44 in wages in one day. All while as you said not paying no medical. dental or pension ect. Sounds like a good deal for them. So the next time any of fordhamkid's friends decide to use their school pass on non school days or jump the turnstyle they should think about all it's going to cost them.

Have then do both. There are enough farebeats on buses and subways (especially buses), to cover them doing CTA and car cleaner duties..........

hard work and their dignity/pride? because I'll go up to whatever terminal or station they work at and make fun of them everyday, lol. AHHHH SHUT UP THATS WHY YOU CLEAN TRAINS AAAAAAH YOU MAD!...etc

And don't just single out kids either lol...as if nobody sees 2200 adults gathered at the Fordham Plaza SBS stop waiting to hop on the back of the bus, they all ran towards the bus as soon as it came so I know they didn't pay lol...good example our elders are setting for us youth of the future...."Theft of Service is the way to go son" lol.

And don't just single out kids either lol...as if nobody sees 2200 adults gathered at the Fordham Plaza SBS stop waiting to hop on the back of the bus, they all ran towards the bus as soon as it came so I know they didn't pay lol...good example our elders are setting for us youth of the future...."Theft of Service is the way to go son" lol.

For me, it is anyone who wants to beat the fare, not just kids. Trust me, as a former B/O in OA Bronx territory, the elders are worse than the kids. When school is not open, at least the kids did ask if they could ride. I mostly had elders sneaking in. Fordham Plaza is the worst. The Bx12 and Bx41 is the farebeat lines, followed by the Bx1/2 at Fordham and the Concourse (especially S/:P..........

You seem like a good kid, so don't follow your buddies. At 17 no mercy will be shown on you........

For me, it is anyone who wants to beat the fare, not just kids. Trust me, as a former B/O in OA Bronx territory, the elders are worse than the kids. When school is not open, at least the kids did ask if they could ride. I mostly had elders sneaking in. Fordham Plaza is the worst. The Bx12 and Bx41 is the farebeat lines, followed by the Bx1/2 at Fordham and the Concourse (especially S/:P..........

You seem like a good kid, so don't follow your buddies. At 17 no mercy will be shown on you........

Thanks and yeah I seen it firsthand...it's crazy. The observation I like to make since the Select Bus came out was...we fought so hard to not have to deal with the back of the bus and still you got people on the Bx12 stampeding to get on the back to get a free ride...damn shame...lol

Thanks and yeah I seen it firsthand...it's crazy. The observation I like to make since the Select Bus came out was...we fought so hard to not have to deal with the back of the bus and still you got people on the Bx12 stampeding to get on the back to get a free ride...damn shame...lol

I wasn't just singling out kids , just responding to your comment about your classmates and other kids not thinking about the consequences. And honestly whenever I see the community service people they are mostly kids your age or little bit older and sometimes younger than you. Once you turn 16 the police will give you a summons for fare beating. And you do seem like a good kid fordham. I wish we had more like you out here . And don't let get started with the BX.12 and 41 buses. Those bus lines really display bronx residents in a very very bad image. All you see is hordes of people running to the back of the bus trying to ride free. And the SBS was a bad idea IMO. Actually allowing people to enter thru the back of the bus of front without paying on board was crazy. But once again this was another one of the MTA's set ups. They know some people will run for the bus and pass on paying the fare, and hopefully get caught by the inspectors.

LOL, it's so true. When I have to ride a bus, I go to the back, along with alot of other young blacks, then say to myself, didn't our parents and grandparents fight to keep this from happening.....:confused::confused::confused:.................

Personally, I feel like everyone is staring at me when in the front or middle, plus I feel safer since I can see everyone else in front of me...........

LOL, it's so true. When I have to ride a bus, I go to the back, along with alot of other young blacks, then say to myself, didn't our parents and grandparents fight to keep this from happening.....:confused::confused::confused:.................

Personally, I feel like everyone is staring at me when in the front or middle, plus I feel safer since I can see everyone else in front of me...........

This is why I don't like to deal with the bus that much lol...the people on the bus IMO are worse than the ones on the subway....and you can't say anything to the mopes that hop the bus because then you get stabbed or shot or attacked in whichever other way possible....and yeah the Bx is always portrayed in a negative light...sucks but whatever I'll keep being positive lol

Archived