What Is Your Favorite RFW Memories?

Daniel The Cool

May 12th, 2007 was the final time I caught an RFW on the (3). I saw the lone R62A train coming towards me at Van Siclen, but alas, it was going the wrong direction. I went and had a great day. Then, I end up at Atlantic Avenue, and low and behold, the same R62A, 1918 comes in, going to New Lots. After a guy failed at trying to pick up a girl sitting closest to the window, it became open at Utica. And, it was clear as day. I had my first camera still, and I took some good pictures from the front of the window of the Utica tunnel portal, the front end of the stations, and the big dip after Junius Street; some of them made it to nycsubway. It was a fantastic final RFW Livonia ride.

My favorite RFW memory was with the old R21 cars on the 7th Avenue IRT. I'd lower the RFW sash (if it wasn't already lowered), have the wind hit me in the face at 45 mph, then step off the train looking like I came out of a coal mine from all the steel dust.

img_3290.jpg

Memories!

YEAH! And making the trip from Newkirk to 148. And the mix of equipment (Like if the adult wouldn't take me to the front, then watching the different doors fly open on turns, and seeing the different types of windows (the square or the round) looking through one to the other.

The plain unopenable windows (which is all they had on the BMT South back then) were so boring in comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

70(EE)'s Top Rail Fan Windows:

1) The R40 RFW - The Best Rail Fan Window ever! B)

2) The R15, R16 and R17 RFW - Unique Owl's Eye round rail fan window (The R15 also featured four round door windows).

3) The R32 RFW - Great on the (E), especially as the (E) left 42d Street-Port Authority Bus Terminal and began the run to Queens. Also good on the (A) and (C).

4) The R36 WF RFW - Great on the (7).

5) The R1-R9 RFW - Favorite on the 70(EE), 70(CC) and 70(QB)

6) The R38 RFW - Favorite on the 70(AA), 70(B) and (A) and (C).

Archived