Super Bowl 44(Colts vs Saints) Feb 2010, Miami Fla, Thread

Shortline Bus

I wasn't rooting for either team... watched the game in bits & pieces.... these past few superbowls haven't been too exciting... I would've liked to have seen a shootout, but that aint happen... sooo....

anyway, the highlights of the game from what I saw, were the saints recovering that onside kick, and that pick-6 off manning that ultimately sealed the deal for them.... anything else happened of any excitement that I missed?

btw... as far as an upset... anyone that considers the saints beating the colts in this superbowl a upset, full knowing how both teams played throughout the season, are fools... no other way to put it....

This game was a bit of let down from super bowl hype. Between the endless commericals and beyond, the super bowl is my least favorite championship game/series on the north american sports calendar year.

IMO since i been watching the NFL since around 1985, these 5 games are the still the best i watched so far.

1)Bills vs Giants to me still the best super bowl i ever seen. No turnover in game and well played game both sides on the ball. The FG attempt and miss by Bills Kicker Norwood at end of game overshadowed this classic.

2)Broncos vs Packers-This was an upset as Bret Favre blew this game and John Elway wins his first super bowl.

3)Giants vs Packers IMO the best super bowl of the last 10 years.

4)Bengals vs 49ers Joe Montana famous last minute TD pass to John Taylor.

SF 'upset' Cincy as they barely made playoffs after 1988 season with 10-6 record and surprise the Bears and Bengals along the way.

5)Titans vs Rams not a great game but 4th quarter ranks among best in NFL history. This game is also known w/ maybe one of the best defensive game winning plays in pro sports history.

6)Panthers vs Pats this was a really good game but so many people forgot it as this was overshadowed by the Janet Jackson mess.

This game was a bit of let down from super bowl hype. Between the endless commericals and beyond, the super bowl is my least favorite championship game/series on the north american sports calendar year.

IMO since i been watching the NFL since around 1985, these 5 games are the still the best i watched so far.

1)Bills vs Giants to me still the best super bowl i ever seen. No turnover in game and well played game both sides on the ball. The FG attempt and miss by Bills Kicker Norwood at end of game overshadowed this classic.

2)Broncos vs Packers-This was an upset as Bret Favre blew this game and John Elway wins his first super bowl.

3)Giants vs Packers IMO the best super bowl of the last 10 years.

4)Bengals vs 49ers Joe Montana famous last minute TD pass to John Taylor.

SF 'upset' Cincy as they barely made playoffs after 1988 season with 10-6 record and surprise the Bears and Bengals along the way.

5)Titans vs Rams not a great game but 4th quarter ranks among best in NFL history. This game is also known w/ maybe one of the best defensive game winning plays in pro sports history.

6)Panthers vs Pats this was a really good game but so many people forgot it as this was overshadowed by the Janet Jackson mess.

These past few superbowls have been let downs, as far as hype is concerned.... far as this one, I mean, how many more times would we have had to hear about Freeney's goddamn ankle... lmao....

The superbowl being the least enjoyed champ. game of the 4 sports... lemme see....

- Stanley cup (I'm into hockey btw) I'll sit & watch every game, regardless who's playing

(at least we'll never see a Capitals-Penguins stanley cup final)... you can only DR (d**kride) two players in an entire league but for so long..... (Crosby & Ovechkin)....

- NBA finals... the NBA, as a whole, is starting to bore me... can't quite pinpoint as to why... I put the NBA finals in the same category as the superbowl, in terms of enjoyment is concerned...

- World Series... if the Yankees aren't in it, I don't care... point blank, period.

if push came to shove.... I'd have to say the NBA finals, for me, is the least enjoyable... "they" always find some way to drag out the series to at least 6 or 7 games.... and it's almost always some questionable call by the refs that makes or breaks the SERIES for one of the teams...

anyway, of those superbowls you list, well....

1) Bills/Giants. Don't remind me about the Bills... I sat up there as a kid, as a fan, watched these mofo's lose in the superbowl 4 straight times.... Christie, wide right... norwood, wide right.... w/ that said, none of those losses were enjoyable for me, obviously....

2) Broncos/Packers... yeah, I remember that one... I always liked Elway more than I did Favre... and I liked the Broncos style of play back then also... I'm a fan of offensive minded plays/players/coaches... I was glad when Elway won that one.... didn't he later go on to win a 2nd one? can't remember....

3) Giants/Packers... I seriously don't remember this one... what year was that?

4) Bengals/49-ers... lmao... was this the one Montana beat Boomer 55-10 ?

this was my favorite SB of all time.... I think the niners scored TD's on 5 straight possessions... the Bengals were helpless in that game....

5) Titans/Rams... yeah, Warner won his first SB by 2 yards... lol...

I didn't watch most of that SB, so I can't say much about it...

6) Pats/Panthers... although I hated both teams, this is probably in the top 3... (the other mention for me, along w/ that 49ers/Bengals one, would be that SB where the Raiders played the Bucs....)

sorry bro mistype. I meant Giants/Pats in Feb 2008.

I say this a sudden death overtime in Stanley Cup Playoffs especially in the Finals is among the best in sports imo. any screwup by a goalie or say a defensemen and boom team is gone.

The World series is maybe the best of the 4 of 7 games. The game winners homers whether Joe Carter, Kirk Gibson can be special.

The NBA Finals rarely have sweeps and rarely 7 games. Still a buzzer beater like Dwayne Wade to win the title for the Heat a few years ago is really cool.

And thus the reason i personally dislike the hype of the super bowl myself.

These past few superbowls have been let downs, as far as hype is concerned.... far as this one, I mean, how many more times would we have had to hear about Freeney's goddamn ankle... lmao....

The superbowl being the least enjoyed champ. game of the 4 sports... lemme see....

- Stanley cup (I'm into hockey btw) I'll sit & watch every game, regardless who's playing

(at least we'll never see a Capitals-Penguins stanley cup final)... you can only DR (d**kride) two players in an entire league but for so long..... (Crosby & Ovechkin)....

- NBA finals... the NBA, as a whole, is starting to bore me... can't quite pinpoint as to why... I put the NBA finals in the same category as the superbowl, in terms of enjoyment is concerned...

- World Series... if the Yankees aren't in it, I don't care... point blank, period.

if push came to shove.... I'd have to say the NBA finals, for me, is the least enjoyable... "they" always find some way to drag out the series to at least 6 or 7 games.... and it's almost always some questionable call by the refs that makes or breaks the SERIES for one of the teams...

anyway, of those superbowls you list, well....

1) Bills/Giants. Don't remind me about the Bills... I sat up there as a kid, as a fan, watched these mofo's lose in the superbowl 4 straight times.... Christie, wide right... norwood, wide right.... w/ that said, none of those losses were enjoyable for me, obviously....

2) Broncos/Packers... yeah, I remember that one... I always liked Elway more than I did Favre... and I liked the Broncos style of play back then also... I'm a fan of offensive minded plays/players/coaches... I was glad when Elway won that one.... didn't he later go on to win a 2nd one? can't remember....

3) Giants/Packers... I seriously don't remember this one... what year was that?

4) Bengals/49-ers... lmao... was this the one Montana beat Boomer 55-10 ?

this was my favorite SB of all time.... I think the niners scored TD's on 5 straight possessions... the Bengals were helpless in that game....

5) Titans/Rams... yeah, Warner won his first SB by 2 yards... lol...

I didn't watch most of that SB, so I can't say much about it...

6) Pats/Panthers... although I hated both teams, this is probably in the top 3... (the other mention for me, along w/ that 49ers/Bengals one, would be that SB where the Raiders played the Bucs....)

Watch the media overhype it because of 'Hope for NO after Katrina hit the city a few years ago'. Just talk about the damn team. I don't need the sob story added on top of it.

I hear ya, im tired of the Katrina card being pulled every time New Orleans is in the media as well.

Watch the media overhype it because of 'Hope for NO after Katrina hit the city a few years ago'. Just talk about the damn team. I don't need the sob story added on top of it.

Agreed. I would not be shocked if a movie was filmed about this. Its a nice story but if people whole lives revolves around a sports team that sad. Get a life and this is someone who enjoys and is a sports fan and not meant to sound rude.

"Katrina, step aside

Weezy & the Saints run this town now baby

who dey... who dey"

(I left out the 50,000 exclamation points that followed afterwards)

lmfao... wow...

I can always get a good laugh checking out some of these other forums.....

The saints winning a title is not the first team a club won a championship after a life changing horrible event in that city's history.

I give 3 other examples.

2001 Yankees-'9/11'

1977 Yankees-1977 NYC Blackout and the fiscal crisis of the era.

1968-Detroit Tigers-winning world series a year after the worst race riots in major american city in modern US History since 1900.

I was laughing more @ the Weezy (that's Lil Wayne, if you're not into rap music) reference.... like, what the hell he got to do w/ anything, other than the fact that he's from there....

Despite that, I was gonna bring up the Yankees/Diamondbacks matchup back in odd-1 (2001).... Thought twice about it, since they lost that year.

Anyone see the Who mini concert at halftime? or the record breaking ratings of the game.

And some final points of the super bowl 44 game regarding the business side.

Super Bowl 44 got a 45.0 ratings share which is the highest % for a super bowl since the Cowboys-Steelers game in 1996.

Also most important, this Colts-Saints match became the most watched tv program in US History beating the previous record set by last show of the classic show "MASH" in Spring 1983 also shown on CBS. The game was watched by appx. 106 Million people in US and estimated 700 Million worldwide.

FYI. The rating could have been inflated as viewers were 'snowed' in by the Blizzard hitting the mid atlantic from Virgina-DC-Pa.-Del. and South New Jersey during the weekend. Thus adding tens of million added viewers who may not have watched the game as well.

Also amazing the cities of Indy and New Orleans would be considered 'small market' teams in the 3 other major sports leagues as well. MLB, NBA and NHL.

sources:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2010-02-08-super-bowl-viewership_N.htm

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2010/02/tv-ratings-super-bowl-on-pace-for-a-record-audience.html

reactions to this or the halftime show by the "who?"

Archived