Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

"M" train idea. Run it between Chambers and Bay Pwy rush hours only

Shortline Bus

But wouldn't (J) riders be getting a faster ride if the (J) went express after Broadway Junction? The (J) would skipping seven stops instead of the current three between Broadway Junction and Marcy Avenue. Wouldn't that be faster the current (J)/(Z) skip-stop service between Sutphin and Myrtle?

But wouldn't (J) riders be getting a faster ride if the (J) went express after Broadway Junction? The (J) would skipping seven stops instead of the current three between Broadway Junction and Marcy Avenue. Wouldn't that be faster the current (J)/(Z) skip-stop service between Sutphin and Myrtle?

Yes, in fact it would be faster and trains would come more frequently.

Skipping 4 stops probably is not the same as the overall skip stop set up. Now should they ever build a 'bypass' from Broadway Junction to Cypress av on Jamaica av, that would really speed things up.

Skipping 4 stops probably is not the same as the overall skip stop set up. Now should they ever build a 'bypass' from Broadway Junction to Cypress av on Jamaica av, that would really speed things up.

I think NIMBYs shot that down back in the 60s, but with overcrowding on the Queens Boulevard corridor, a "bypass" would probably be more favorable.

If a Jamaica Avenue bypass of some sort was built I probably wouldn't have any qualms with the (V) coming into the Eastern Division.

I personally think they should just cut the Fulton St segment* and just build a 3-track segment from Broadway Junction to Cypress along Jamaica Av. Then add the middle tracks from Cypress to 121st. And finally reconfigure the Woodhaven stop into a 2-island station to be an express stop. Then they can finally have a true express service and do away with skip stop.

*of course it's not favorable, but this would speed up the J overall.

I personally think they should just cut the Fulton St segment* and just build a 3-track segment from Broadway Junction to Cypress along Jamaica Av. Then add the middle tracks from Cypress to 121st. And finally reconfigure the Woodhaven stop into a 2-island station to be an express stop. Then they can finally have a true express service and do away with skip stop.

*of course it's not favorable, but this would speed up the J overall.

I agree with you concourse on the jamaica ave idea. However i think fairly recently about 10-12 years ago,(circa 1997-99) the (MTA) did major renovation work to all of the brooklyn/queens(east new york) fulton stops on the (J)and thus waste tens of millions on it.

Also some people maybe enviornmental nimbys that may block buliding this new subway spur since it so close to that park area as well.

Just an honest reply.

No problems, I think in the future they should still concider rebuilding Woodhaven and implement express service on the Jamaica el segment. Also I think they should build an el wide enough for 3 tracks alone Jamacia av west of Cypress Hills, but build two tracks so that it can be used for extra storage and an emergency bypass.

No problems, I think in the future they should still concider rebuilding Woodhaven and implement express service on the Jamaica el segment. Also I think they should build an el wide enough for 3 tracks alone Jamacia av west of Cypress Hills, but build two tracks so that it can be used for extra storage and an emergency bypass.

Maybe an alternative is to extend a 3rd track from Cresent Street and have it make a curve onto Woodhaven Boulevard, and then onto Jamaica Avenue, which would be less of a sharp cuve than over Cresent Street since Woodhaven Boulevard is wider.

The whole point of this exercise of kill the M and extend the V nonsense is all about saving money. Now what is THIS conversation about? A service enhancement. Get over it. IT AIN'T HAPPENING! You're not getting it both ways: 6th Ave. service via the Eastern Division AND saving the Nassau cut south of Broad St.

I've said this on SubChat for years and I'll say it here for the first time of many: ALL service plans are made up for the maximum productivity of the crews for as close to an 8 hour pay day as possible. It is not made for the convenience of passengers, contrary to popular belief.

The whole point of killing the M is so NYCT can kill the many one trippers on the CI end. These crews basically prepare the train in the yard, do a trip, lay up then lunch. Then there is a couple of hours of nothing to do. NYCT doesn't like that. There is not enough time to leave the yard to do something else after that to keep the 8 hour pay day. With this scheme, a rush hour only line means unproductive crews for the AM rush and unproductive crews for the PM rush because they only do one trip as noted. RTO does not have split shifts like buses do by NYCT and union agreement. In fact NYCT doesn't even want it because they worry about unrested crews. After the WillyB wreck and a NJT wreck where the engineer started work 9 PM the night before and finished after the AM rush on a split shift they killed AM and PM rush hour "specials" where we would come in for 3 or 4 hours to do a trip somewhere, go home, then come back to work for your regular job. Sometimes according to your schedule they could follow each other closely but back in the day I would come in early for a trip, go home for 6 hours, then finish late that same night on my regular job. NYCT does not want to go back to that. But doing it like you suggest makes a rush hour only line unproductive. NYCT management hated the old CC. AM guys did a trip and went home, PM guys did a trip and went home. Once they made the C run all day those unproductive jobs died. They are NOT going to re-resurrect this! They are not going to extend the J or Z to Bay Pkwy. either because you will STILL need one trippers. The schedule can't be made up any differently!

On the current V line as soon as something bad happens on the IND they suspend the V. If it goes to Met, sure they can have service on that end, but when it resumes the Met end will suffer till all gets back to normal. Crews will never get back in place, dispatchers will pull their hair out for the rest of the day.

The whole point of this exercise of kill the M and extend the V nonsense is all about saving money. Now what is THIS conversation about? A service enhancement. Get over it. IT AIN'T HAPPENING! You're not getting it both ways: 6th Ave. service via the Eastern Division AND saving the Nassau cut south of Broad St.

I've said this on SubChat for years and I'll say it here for the first time of many: ALL service plans are made up for the maximum productivity of the crews for as close to an 8 hour pay day as possible. It is not made for the convenience of passengers, contrary to popular belief.

The whole point of killing the M is so NYCT can kill the many one trippers on the CI end. These crews basically prepare the train in the yard, do a trip, lay up then lunch. Then there is a couple of hours of nothing to do. NYCT doesn't like that. There is not enough time to leave the yard to do something else after that to keep the 8 hour pay day. With this scheme, a rush hour only line means unproductive crews for the AM rush and unproductive crews for the PM rush because they only do one trip as noted. RTO does not have split shifts like buses do by NYCT and union agreement. In fact NYCT doesn't even want it because they worry about unrested crews. After the WillyB wreck and a NJT wreck where the engineer started work 9 PM the night before and finished after the AM rush on a split shift they killed AM and PM rush hour "specials" where we would come in for 3 or 4 hours to do a trip somewhere, go home, then come back to work for your regular job. Sometimes according to your schedule they could follow each other closely but back in the day I would come in early for a trip, go home for 6 hours, then finish late that same night on my regular job. NYCT does not want to go back to that. But doing it like you suggest makes a rush hour only line unproductive. NYCT management hated the old CC. AM guys did a trip and went home, PM guys did a trip and went home. Once they made the C run all day those unproductive jobs died. They are NOT going to re-resurrect this! They are not going to extend the J or Z to Bay Pkwy. either because you will STILL need one trippers. The schedule can't be made up any differently!

On the current V line as soon as something bad happens on the IND they suspend the V. If it goes to Met, sure they can have service on that end, but when it resumes the Met end will suffer till all gets back to normal. Crews will never get back in place, dispatchers will pull their hair out for the rest of the day.

I Agree 100% Thanks for Sharing that:tup:

Archived