Major changes on the (A)/(C) lines happening soon

trainspot12

The R44s are beginning to go, really?

The (A) might become 100 percent R46 as the R44s go?

Won't really make a difference - even as a subway buff, I can't really distinguish R44 and R46 cars, and most people won't even realize the car swap at all. Orange and yellow bucket seats, few doors per car, same look, same sounds.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Won't really make a difference - even as a subway buff, I can't really distinguish R44 and R46 cars, and most people won't even realize the car swap at all. Orange and yellow bucket seats, few doors per car, same look, same sounds.

But different propulsions and cleaner cars since the R46's are getting SMS. And different car numbers.

Only important easily visible difference is the glass partition near the door of the '44.

As I brought up the other day, the stripe on the 44 carbody is carbon steel and has to be painted. The 46's have a stainless steel stripe in place of the carbon one.

Yeah, it's easy to tell the difference. One has this huge, grey, painted stripe on the side. R46's are stainless steel all throughout the side. Now, for me, distinguishing between an R62/A and R68/A on the fly, is a hard deal.

Yeah, it's easy to tell the difference. One has this huge, grey, painted stripe on the side. R46's are stainless steel all throughout the side. Now, for me, distinguishing between an R62/A and R68/A on the fly, is a hard deal.

Well all the R62s are on the (3)...they have GE Propulsion like R46s...since you said you can tell R44s and R46s apart then you can tell the R62s and R62As apart. Why? Propulsion. R44s have Westinghouse propulsion, the same as R62As, which are on the (1) and (7) and the 42nd Street Shuttle. As for the R68s and R68As, the easiest way to distinguish the two are by the number assignments: R68s are in the 2000 series while R68As are in the 5000 series.

68/A I just distinguish by the car numbers although there are a couple other tricks you could use.

62/A you could go by propulsion, but another little known way is to go by the door threshold plates at the bottom of each side door's path. Maybe one day I'll get photos of this, but since I haven't done so yet you'll just have to take my word for it.

R62: Plate is darker, and has a grainy texture to it.

R62A: Plate is lighter, and contains a diamond pattern to it. The lines of the diamonds are cut into the plate.

Archived