Subway car set limit?

mark1447

Is there a limit on the amount of cars that can be hold in 1 set? Similar to a Freight train where you see like 20+ cars coupled together.

Example.. If there were 30-50 R29s coupled together in 1 set, would it still be able to move or thats too much? Or if there was the same amount of those cars but different fleets coupled, that has the same coupler. R20+R32+R40+R62A..

If no one understands what i mean, let me know.

Trainmaster5 said he hauled a 20-car R142 brom Bowling Green to the yard in the Bronx.

Well.. We got some Freight going on B) .

I wonder if MORE then 20 will do..

Well, I guess if each car has its own motor then the only problem would be signaling.

Why would it be an issue with the signals? The tracks will sense the wheels as it goes by.

Maximum allowed is 12 cars. Exceptions are often made for Main Shop moves, but they're bending the rules.

Anyone who moves more than 12 cars on the mainline...well...they better not screw up.

This was years ago, I think it was a mix of R27s and R30s.

Maximum allowed is 12 cars. Exceptions are often made for Main Shop moves, but they're bending the rules.

Anyone who moves more than 12 cars on the mainline...well...they better not screw up.

How does it screw up tho. Im confused a bit:confused:

Sorry still confused, what example of "screw up" is he saying?

Screw up= F**king up.

Ex: If something went wrong while they were violating the rules. Say they hit a signal, they could be charged for that and operating with too many cars.

I'll bet that train was moving at a snail's pace, right? 50 cars is insane and no way should anyone have that much power :P I could only imagine the possible speed that kind of consist could get :cool:

Each car has it's own motor;)

I wouldn't be surprised if a 50-car consist would be able to hit 50mph.

Each car has it's own motor;)

I wouldn't be surprised if a 50-car consist would be able to hit 50mph.

At that length, someone could board the rear car, walk through 98 sets of storm doors, exit the head car, and be at the next station, depending on the line and stations.

At that length, someone could board the rear car, walk through 98 sets of storm doors, exit the head car, and be at the next station, depending on the line and stations.

There's a few places where you could get on at the back of a 50-car long train and walk past an entire station to a third one.

Archived