Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

MTV offically no longer a Music Video station: New format focuses on reality shows

Shortline Bus

Bad News for many fans of MTV who was hoping for a return to it's 'glory days.' Yesterday as of 2/8/10, after being known as the pionnering "Music Television" cable station for music videos and other related programs, the cable station announced it has changed formats and will no longer play *any more music videos.*

MTV which began in 1981 and made world famous, performers from Madonna, Micheal Jackson, Duran Duran, Run DMC and later Will Smith then part of the duo " DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince" & Enimen among others. In recent years the station had only played 'videos' during late evenings and overnights 7 days a week.

The only link to it's now legendary past on MTV1, related to music videos, is that it still be 'home' to the MTV Music Video Awards Show held in early September.

This 'new format' in which the station still known as "MTV" will become the 24/7 home of 'reality' shows, documentaries and other related programming focusing on the young adult and college audiences ages 18-25. CBS-TV/Viacom, MTV owners says Music Videos will still be at times at sister stations "VH1" and MTV2 and 3. In sense MTV is credited in the TV industry for pionnering one of the first 'hit' reality shows, "The Real World' which began almost 20 years ago in 1993.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2010/02/09/2010-02-09_mtv_loses_iconic_logos_music_video_and_music_television_tag_and_replaces_with_ne.html

reactions?:o

dont they still play nonstop videos on "MTV Hits"?

that and all remaining music video programming is being moved to either MTV2 or MTV3.:B)

I could be wrong but i also think this move by CBS/Viacom to drop music videos on MTV is being done, so that MTV2 and MTV3 be made available in more cable/Direct TV and Dish system services and thus more homes in America as well.

Same thing ESPN did in mid '90's when they created ESPN2 and now it's part of 'basic packages' on most cable systems.

I hasn't been a music channel in years. I was hoping one day it would come back to that but they've only done what was inevitable. They really should rename the channel to RTV "Reality Television", since all they play are reality shows. I miss the days when you could see a new Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, Janet Jackson video anytime on MTV. Now it's a new episode of The Buried Life and The Hills. What a waste.

That's a shame and Princelex is right they havent showed music videos on a constant basis in years. Before i got cable in 1989 i prayed for the day i could get Mtv and see Van Halen. Prince and Genesis videos. This is the end of an era and sad.

I hasn't been a music channel in years. I was hoping one day it would come back to that but they've only done what was inevitable. They really should rename the channel to RTV "Reality Television", since all they play are reality shows. I miss the days when you could see a new Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, Janet Jackson video anytime on MTV. Now it's a new episode of The Buried Life and The Hills. What a waste.

Well said. Even at the last couple of VMA's in last few years, both presenters and award winners from Justin Timberlake to Jamie Foxx to Green Day and others pleaded with MTV exces to run to that channel 'roots' and play music videos at least reguarly.

Now a part of TV history is now gone.

Well said. Even at the last couple of VMA's in last few years, both presenters and award winners from Justin Timberlake to Jamie Foxx to Green Day and others pleaded with MTV exces to run to that channel 'roots' and play music videos at least reguarly.

Now a part of TV history is now gone.

I would even add that depending on who you are, a part of our youth is gone with this change too. I was 2 when MTV started so I don't know life without it. To see this change become official really hits me where I live. I love music and MTV played a big part in helping me love it. It never should have become like this but money talks and bullsh*t walks. What can we do? From the little I've seen recently, it seems like Fuse is becoming what MTV use to be. I just hope that in 20-30 years time, it doesn't end up like MTV today.

I would even add that depending on who you are, a part of our youth is gone with this change too. I was 2 when MTV started so I don't know life without it. To see this change become official really hits me where I live. I love music and MTV played a big part in helping me love it. It never should have become like this but money talks and bullsh*t walks. What can we do? From the little I've seen recently, it seems like Fuse is becoming what MTV use to be. I just hope that in 20-30 years time, it doesn't end up like MTV today.

If you read the daily news article bro, the current MTV Owners of CBS-TV/Viacom, stated that MTV2 and3 along with VH1 will now pick up the slack of playing videos for MTV1.

I also think another big reason for the format change was to make MTV2 and MTV3 available on 'basic cable' such as MTV1, CNN and ESPN. Right now, MTV2 and MTV3 is only available on expanded digital cable in most of the USA.

Plus CBS-TV (ch.2 in NYC) which was in last place in national ratings in 2000, used reality hits like "Survior" to become #1 in the ratings. Even with public polls stating most Americans are tired of reality shows, CBS and other stations love it since it 'dirty cheap' to have reality shows than the millions it costs to produce a regular drama/comedy.

Guess they have to change the station name too since MTV means Music Television right? They suck anyway... When they did play videos it was mostly talentless pop crap.... Bring back THE BOX! hah!
LOL for real. Television is officially dead.More Snooki coming up after we play this last Vanilla Ice video.B)

If you read the daily news article bro, the current MTV Owners of CBS-TV/Viacom, stated that MTV2 and3 along with VH1 will now pick up the slack of playing videos for MTV1.

I also think another big reason for the format change was to make MTV2 and MTV3 available on 'basic cable' such as MTV1, CNN and ESPN. Right now, MTV2 and MTV3 is only available on expanded digital cable in most of the USA.

Plus CBS-TV (ch.2 in NYC) which was in last place in national ratings in 2000, used reality hits like "Survior" to become #1 in the ratings. Even with public polls stating most Americans are tired of reality shows, CBS and other stations love it since it 'dirty cheap' to have reality shows than the millions it costs to produce a regular drama/comedy.

You made a good point with that one. I didn't realize that MTV2 and 3 weren't everywhere at this point. It's still sad but there's nothing we can do about this.

LOL for real. Television is officially dead.More Snooki coming up after we play this last Vanilla Ice video.;)

holy crap! I never saw that show but everytime shes on tv or theres a promo i want to throw up. She is so ugly! The shape of her mouth is vile. Those dumb kids are ruining their lives one episode at a time.

when i was about 16 or 17 i used to watch this show called "Rock Countdown" just when i was first starting to get into rock music. i remember the popular bands at the time were Queens of the Stone Age and Foo Fighters. i fell in love with Jimmy Eat World (biggest hit was "The Middle") and i never broadened my rock horizons lol. but yes, great memories of music on MTV. im too young to remember the Michael Jackson videos (we didnt have cable until i was about 10) but i did get to see all of them the night he passed away last year, and i believe that was on MTV also

No surprise to me; it's been this way for years.

Totally agreed, word for word.

Hell even supposedly all cartoon channels have live action comedies on them. I just don't understand why they have to wreck the established network just to add something new. IF they wanted a new format, they should start up a new network and leave the old one alone.

Totally agreed, word for word.

Hell even supposedly all cartoon channels have live action comedies on them. I just don't understand why they have to wreck the established network just to add something new. IF they wanted a new format, they should start up a new network and leave the old one alone.

I think you might be referring to what Cartoon Network tried to do. This is my opinion, but they should take a look at what the Ed Edd n' Eddy finales did to their ratings because it was their longest running original cartoon, versus those new kid "reality" shows they started up and decide whether Cartoons or Live Action is best suited for "Cartoon Network."

About MTV, it's a shame. And what's more a shame is that it is warranted. A lot of people want it.

I think you might be referring to what Cartoon Network tried to do. This is my opinion, but they should take a look at what the Ed Edd n' Eddy finales did to their ratings because it was their longest running original cartoon, versus those new kid "reality" shows they started up and decide whether Cartoons or Live Action is best suited for "Cartoon Network."

About MTV, it's a shame. And what's more a shame is that it is warranted. A lot of people want it.

Yup. The Young woman especially high school and college ages make up the majority of reality shows like the ones on the 'new' MTV.

Like it or not, for instance "Jersey Shore' (which i have not yet seen) despite its controversy is the hottest and most talked show on at the moment.

Well....most of the people who watch Vh1 and MTV they want more reality show,so VH1 and MTV have to give them what they want.it's sad that the cast members from Jersey shore are so famous after one season....I won't be surprise if guy's like ''the situation get their own show next.

Some of the shows that are on MTV are very dumb shows.

Well....most of the people who watch Vh1 and MTV they want more reality show,so VH1 and MTV have to give them what they want.it's sad that the cast members from Jersey shore are so famous after one season....I won't be surprise if guy's like ''the situation get their own show next.

Some of the shows that are on MTV are very dumb shows.

Yup. Look what happen with Paris Hilton. Well said BJC.

Another factor that lead to downfall of music videos being played on MTV was 'youtube' and Video Ipod's imo as well.

Its sad that a pioneer in cable tv, MTV is gone as a music video station. At least for digital cable you still have VH1 classic for someone like me an '80's mega fan.:P

that and all remaining music video programming is being moved to either MTV2 or MTV3.::P

I could be wrong but i also think this move by CBS/Viacom to drop music videos on MTV is being done, so that MTV2 and MTV3 be made available in more cable/Direct TV and Dish system services and thus more homes in America as well.

Same thing ESPN did in mid '90's when they created ESPN2 and now it's part of 'basic packages' on most cable systems.

on Cablevision we have an MTV Hits channel.

But this sucks! For the MTV!

Archived