Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Railfanner Speaks Out About Photographing Trains On FOX 5 News

Sea Beach

With a little courtesy and common sense, one can avoid this situation.

In Rtype's defense, I doubt that would have done any good considering that the cops themselves were lacking common sense in insisting that the photos be deleted, but you are right under normal circumstances.

My issue isn't what transpired between the NYPD and Rtype, my issue is the cost, especially with all of the costcutting and sharp reductions of services nowadays.

hey, what's done is done, and no one really cares where the compensation comes from. point demonstrated, split 30,000 between what? like 8,000,000 people. that's about a third of a cent per person. i would barely notice...

That's bullcrap. All amounts, even little ones, add up to big amounts. Don't believe me? Use your American Express card for a month for all of your little transactions then cry me a river when you get the bill.

Not related to Rtype's situation, but did you know that out of every TA budget over $100 million every year is budgeted just for litigation settlements? Think about it.

What I find humorous is that people blindly accept rtypes' version of the story without question.

Why not? I believe him

Other people on here had there balls broken by cops because of this bullshit that you cannot take pics of the subway system, and someone else right after his case won also. The problem is since these guys have these rules in there hand and are ready to show it to cops, the cops don't give a shit and show this f*ckd up attitude and thats were words get exchanged. and right away they get shoved thru doors and out comes the handcuffs, because they have to get that arrest, gets them off the street and into a warm precint.

Same thing with me, I get pulled over and I know I did nothing wrong, and the cop wants to be a dick, F*ckin -A- I'm going to give that 'officer' a hard time, 'F em.

Why not? I believe him

Other people on here had there balls broken by cops because of this bullshit that you cannot take pics of the subway system, and someone else right after his case won also. The problem is since these guys have these rules in there hand and are ready to show it to cops, the cops don't give a shit and show this f*ckd up attitude and thats were words get exchanged. and right away they get shoved thru doors and out comes the handcuffs, because they have to get that arrest, gets them off the street and into a warm precint.

Same thing with me, I get pulled over and I know I did nothing wrong, and the cop wants to be a dick, F*ckin -A- I'm going to give that 'officer' a hard time, 'F em.

A-freakin'-men!!! You da man Dan!

Nah, I'm just trying to play the game...

And that's why I respect you for standing your ground!

Don't let those snot-nosed cops take out a single moment out of your time from fanning the rails. I've been in precarious situations like these, and I know much better now.

Why because you said so? Who the hell are you?

Who the hell am I? Someone who doesn't think that this thread was meant to argue over who pays for settlements like this. What's done is done, and there's nothing we can do about it. If people have a problem with how settlements are paid, then go write a petition or something. This thread was supposed to be good news for us railfans, not somewhere to spend three pages complaining how taxpayers pay for lawsuit settlements. Granted, it is a bit unfair, but the world is unfair, and we're alive, so live with it.

Who the hell am I? Someone who doesn't think that this thread was meant to argue over who pays for settlements like this. What's done is done, and there's nothing we can do about it. If people have a problem with how settlements are paid, then go write a petition or something. This thread was supposed to be good news for us railfans, not somewhere to spend three pages complaining how taxpayers pay for lawsuit settlements. Granted, it is a bit unfair, but the world is unfair, and we're alive, so live with it.

Right away the topic takes a slight left turn with some conversation about real life and in 2 seconds its close the topic - lock the topic. Nobody was beating anybody up, and we were having a civil conversation. So take it easy with the lock this lock that right away nonsense, don't try to be a hero.

You know what i notice, is that the press states Photograpy is legal, but doesn't mention the restrictions, such as Flash and Tripod used on the Subway.. Now people who watched this will think al of that is allowed...

I am, and will start harassing you all who's pictures are posted on here. Why? Just for sh!ts and giggles, and just to be a pr!ck..........

Better not with me :P I know where you liveeee!! :P

On Youtube, I even saw video that someone got arrested UK for taking pic from public propertly.

I posted my favorite videos of cops that taking illegal action against public photographers.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16878

Britain does not have the same protections we Americans have.

Better not with me :P I know where you liveeee!! :P

So does SubwayGuy, but you two will be the first on my hit list. Actually you will be first, as SubwayGuy knows how to drive the Expedition, so I have to be nice to him. I hate driving, and can leave it to him when we hang out. You better get a crackin' with getting your license.........

Britain does not have the same protections we Americans have.

In the law arresting people for taking pictures when in a public place it most certainly does. They cannot do anything about it despite what some of the gung-ho idiots the various police forces in Britain have amongst their numbers think. Personally I have no time whatsoever for the police here in Britain as I've seen how they act when they have the 'safety in numbers' thing and also been on the end of two instances of the Mr Aggressive policeman who thinks he can make the law up as he goes along. As someone else has said, fork 'em.

The only thing I see wrong is taking a pic with a mta employee in it without permission, I would be mad if I seen myself on here operating a train or whatever else he/she might be doing.

I know these train ops must make a face when they see these guys snapping away when the train is entering the station.

I know these train ops must make a face when they see these guys snapping away when the train is entering the station.

I see it more when I take pictures of buses, but sometimes I get some drivers that throw up peace signs or wave.

Then you havent snapped a picture of me or NETO yet..

If we "see" you in time we smile and or wave...

The only thing I see wrong is taking a pic with a mta employee in it without permission, I would be mad if I seen myself on here operating a train or whatever else he/she might be doing.

Yeah, I make sure to take my pictures of the front-end of the train at a certain angle so the employees don't get into the picture.

Archived