Railfanner Speaks Out About Photographing Trains On FOX 5 News

Sea Beach

In the law arresting people for taking pictures when in a public place it most certainly does. They cannot do anything about it despite what some of the gung-ho idiots the various police forces in Britain have amongst their numbers think. Personally I have no time whatsoever for the police here in Britain as I've seen how they act when they have the 'safety in numbers' thing and also been on the end of two instances of the Mr Aggressive policeman who thinks he can make the law up as he goes along. As someone else has said, fork 'em.

Don't they have some law that allows them to arrest people for photography? I can't recall which one in specific.

im telling u, it was probably a ROOKIE. just like in the other post someone posted about a girl who used her student metrocard on a day she wasnt supposed to use it, and ended up hand-cuffing her while one of the other idiot cops pushed a guy for no reason. all he had to do was either give that girl a ticket or let her GO and tell her not to do it again. and again, that cop had no right to push the other man. im sorry, please excuse me for fowl language, but these friggin rookies, AGAIN, YOU STUPID ASS ROOKIES (again, please excuse me for fowl language) like to OD on non-sense just to make them feel good about themselves. just cuz u guys got badges, guns and cop suits dont mean a damn thing. We all have to follow rules and SO DO COPS. if its ok to take pics, damn, let the person take as many pictures he wants. god forbid, what if something was going on in the subway and a person needed to take pics of that particular incident to show proof that an incident was occuring? these damn rookie cops dont think. all they wanna do is fine people for any little reason. but for real emergencies, they'll take 30 minutes or more to arrive at the scene. these damn cops need to learn the real rules and regulations of the entire city. if the MTA says its ok to take pictures, LET IT BE and stop giving people a hard time. worry about REAL emergencies, not childish stuff. Some of these cops need to be RETRAINED again. (no offense to anyone here, but this is outrageous.) they let innocent people get fines or arrested, but the people who commit crimes, they dont do anything to them or about them. thats just plain wrong man! That aint right. :mad::tdown:

whoa, calm down there. These cops are out there putting their lives at risk and this his how we are treating them? One or two cops do not reflect the force. Just like one or two crazy foamers do no reflect the community of railfans as a whole.

im telling u, it was probably a ROOKIE. just like in the other post someone posted about a girl who used her student metrocard on a day she wasnt supposed to use it, and ended up hand-cuffing her while one of the other idiot cops pushed a guy for no reason. all he had to do was either give that girl a ticket or let her GO and tell her not to do it again. and again, that cop had no right to push the other man. im sorry, please excuse me for fowl language, but these friggin rookies, AGAIN, YOU STUPID ASS ROOKIES (again, please excuse me for fowl language) like to OD on non-sense just to make them feel good about themselves. just cuz u guys got badges, guns and cop suits dont mean a damn thing. We all have to follow rules and SO DO COPS. if its ok to take pics, damn, let the person take as many pictures he wants. god forbid, what if something was going on in the subway and a person needed to take pics of that particular incident to show proof that an incident was occuring? these damn rookie cops dont think. all they wanna do is fine people for any little reason. but for real emergencies, they'll take 30 minutes or more to arrive at the scene. these damn cops need to learn the real rules and regulations of the entire city. if the MTA says its ok to take pictures, LET IT BE and stop giving people a hard time. worry about REAL emergencies, not childish stuff. Some of these cops need to be RETRAINED again. (no offense to anyone here, but this is outrageous.) they let innocent people get fines or arrested, but the people who commit crimes, they dont do anything to them or about them. thats just plain wrong man! That aint right. :mad::tdown:

I hope you get shitcanned by the cops when you have an emergency.

whoa, calm down there. These cops are out there putting their lives at risk and this his how we are treating them? One or two cops do not reflect the force. Just like one or two crazy foamers do no reflect the community of railfans as a whole.

its not that, it pisses me off that they arrest innocent ppl for the dumbest reasons. im just saying in my opinion, i feel that it aint right. once u search them and if they clean, let em go.

Of course you're going to say that, it's now your money.

Just say it: you were pissed off and you wanted to nail the NYPD and city for every dime possible. Go ahead.

And I'll sue for triple that amount if I ever get falsely arrested. The guy wore handcuffs, no? It's not like someone made a simple oversight here; this was somebody abusing their position of authority. They don't pay attention unless it starts costing money.

Don't they have some law that allows them to arrest people for photography? I can't recall which one in specific.

No. They can search/question you if they have reasonable grounds for suspicion but they can only arrest if there is some evidence of some dodgy activity going on.

What some of the police here *think* they can do is very much removed from what they *can* do.

Thank you rtype3995 for standing your ground. I don't think anyonecelse here would have the courage or thought of doing what you did. Much props.

I dunno bout that. I get asked about taking photos at least once a month, often the officers ask to see the photos, though they never ask me to delete any. Might have to do with (NJT) police & NJ state & local cops knowing the rules, because as soon as it is understood that i'm out here just taking photos the usual response is have a nice day. Sometimes other passengers will say something & i simply say "i'm up to date on the rules & laws on photography but thanks for your concern". As far as (MTA) territory i got some folks who are in the middle of passenger operations ie a conductor or car cleaner at a terminal saying its illegal etc i simply state that it is legal thank you for the concern. I think the culture in NYPD is one of fear and it prevents officers & other staff from being up to date & informed sometimes. NYC is a huge populated city with millions of visitors, you should expect the police to take this into consideration & stop the scary tough guy act because it will simply rub people the wrong way.

- A

The funniest thing about this video is the part about the transit supervisor. He's actually the general manager for the whole entire 2 line from brooklyn to the bronx. And he's a real freakin prick in person. It's just so funny to see him exposed on television.

Wow thats him? And he doesnt know photography is legal?! How long has he been with t/a? LOL Get his a*s off he doesnt know the t/a ruleZ

One time two cops came over to my house they though we call 911.My mother(who use to be a cop)told the the cops more than once we didn't call 911.My mother told them go look into the computer again to see everything correct or they could verify over the radio in which they didn't want to ....she told them they could've gotten the wrong address or they're on the wrong st...when the cops walk off,one cop made a smart ass comment and said ''make sure it won't ever happen again''WTF we told you we didn't call 911,but yet you still make that comment...that crap piss me off,because there's somebody down the block might be having a real emergency.

I will never trust cops. Especially the State Police in South Jersey. They are some "dirty" ones I tell ya.

Off Topic Sorry

But anyways I put Projector Headlights in my Lincoln LS and it past inspection with 6000K hid bulbs. Cop pulls me over and says that the lights are too blue. I was nice and was like well it past inspection and that most of the new cars now are comming with stock hid that are 4300K-6000K. So he says you want to be a smart a$$ and I laugh then he says he will be back and gives me (2) tickets. (1) for Blue lights and the other for having a bluetooth in my ear. Its funny because stock hids look blue from a distance because of the mirror in projector lens but as you get closer they turn white. I went to court and got the light ticket thrown out but the @$$holes still got 46 bucks.

I sure as hell dont want some 22yr old prick trying to save me....he/she is just as scared. And as quickly as there putting them through training, I wouldnt want any cop in todays world trying to protect me. Cops are liers and are more criminal then actual criminals. There are tons of ppl in jail because some dum @$$ cop wanted to have fun.

Archived