LGA to Crown Heights after midnight?

auronrenouille

Hey folks,

I've posted here before and you've been extremely helpful :). I used to live in NYC and will be flying back again this summer - I'm trying to find a flight, and I usually prefer JFK since my destination is in Crown Heights (Park Pl. on the Franklin Ave (S), so Airtrain to (A) to (C) to (S) is fairly painless). This time, however, it looks like the cheapest flight this time is going to be an 11:35pm LGA arrival on Air Tran :P. Here's the kicker - I'm in a wheelchair, so all travel needs to be through accessible stations (so the M60 to Astoria is out, sadly). Best I can tell is that my Least Bad option for travel will be taking the Q33 or Q48, whichever comes first, to Jackson Heights, get the (F) to Herald Square, (Q) to Prospect Park and (S) to Park Pl. Assuming that I don't get out of LGA until, say, 12:15am, how ugly will that trip be? Can you folks think of a better wheelchair-accessible way to get to Crown Heights? The (R) won't be running at that late hour, so no same-platform transfer to the (Q):P.

When I lived in Manhattan I just took the M60 to the (4)(5)(6) at 125th Street :(. So much easier. I know that I could always just take a cab down the BQE, but for the amount of money that will cost, I could just pay extra to fly into JFK ;p.

There is also Q72 that goes to ADA Junction Blvd (7)<7> to Times Sq.

Then take (Q) to Prospect Park.

While that's true, that won't save you any time. When I have options late night, I try to take whatever comes first. So if you see the M60 before either of the buses to 74/Roosevelt, take that to the (A) at 125th St. If you do go to 74/Roosevelt, you could take the (E) and transfer across the platform to the (A) and take that to Franklin Ave. If you're on the (F) you would probably be better off transferring at W 4 which is one elevator ride instead of 2 at Herald Square. Remember to check service advisories before you go since its late night. The trip will probably take 2 hours, maybe a little less.

Option 1:

1. Q33 to Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av.

2. (F)/(E) to West 4th St.

3. (A) to Franklin Av

4. (S) to Park Place.

Option 2:

1. Q48 to Flushing-Main St.

2. (7) to Times Sq.

3. (Q) to Prospect Park or (A) to Franklin Av

4. (S) to Park Place

Option 3:

1. Q72 to Junction Blvd.

2. (7) to Times Sq.

3. (Q) to Prospect Park or (A) to Franklin Av

4. (S) to Park Place

I'm not immediately seeing the benefit of the (7) from Junction Bl - it's backtracking, and the <7> won't be running at that hour - not unless my flight is delayed about 5 hours :P. But it's good to have that option in my back pocket in case there's an elevator outage at Jackson Heights.

I do like the cross platform transfer from the (E) to the (A) - with a duffel bag on my wheelchair, that may make the most sense, and won't involve the maze at Times Square either - to my memory, the elevator there isn't particularly large since they had to shoehorn it in. Thank you :P.

I'm kicking myself for not thinking of NX_Express's idea. Thank you :P. Is that station going to be fairly safe at 1 or 2am? I've done that on the Lexington Ave side of 125th before at late night and felt fine. If so, that may be the easiest route, and will at a minimum give me an alternative in case of elevator problems in Queens.

"G.O."?

I'm kicking myself for not thinking of NX_Express's idea. Thank you :P. Is that station going to be fairly safe at 1 or 2am? I've done that on the Lexington Ave side of 125th before at late night and felt fine. If so, that may be the easiest route, and will at a minimum give me an alternative in case of elevator problems in Queens.

"G.O."?

G.O.=General Order, aka Service Change.

And I'm kicking myself for just realizing that Franklin Av (4) does not have ADA!

Oh, the problem with the (4) to Franklin Ave/Botanic Garden is that, unless you know something that I don't, Botanic Garden on the (2)(3)(4)(5)(S) isn't accessible, and I've heard that it's actually not possible to make this station accessible, which is really very frustrating :P. But in a worst-case scenario I could transfer from the IRT to the (Q) at Atlantic-Pacific.

Oh, yeah, I meant the M60 to the (A)(C) at 125th. That might be the path of least resistance - it's certainly the path with the fewest elevators, even if I took the express to W 4th and made a cross-platform transfer.

Which express?

The (A) runs local.

The (D) stops on another level, so no cross-plat transfer.

Oh, thank you :P. I'm glad I asked, heh. I'm a little bit more familiar w/ late night service on the BMT, the accessibility on the 8th and 6th Av lines is a little newer to me. Guess that means the (A) will be stopping at Franklin/Fulton since it's overnight. Fewest transfers, but definitely the slow boat to China :P.

Just take the M60 to 125th (A) like a few others stated. Yes, it's local but for someone who's traveling in a wheelchair seems like the easier trip. And wait a little more for flights to JFK, I know at least 2 airline companies will add flights as summer comes closer.

Archived