Difference between MTA Bus Company and NYC Transit

Coolbreezing

HI!

Can you guys help me understand the different between MTA BUS and NYC Transit Bus operators? Are their both operates under the same union or are their different. My name is James and I have recently received a letter from the MTA Bus Company regarding a test which will be offered under exam # 8008. I don't understand why when I looked at DCAS website, I couldn't found exam #8008. I was also given a list number. I thought the list number was assigned after the test is taken ....why was it not.? I already posses a commercial driver's license with all the endorsements. I have had experienced driving school buses, concrete trucks, garbage trucks, oil trucks and flatbed trucks. I want to make a transition from working for private companies to public sector. Although private companies can pay well, the job can be insecure with no future benefits. I have a 17 months old baby girl, my first .... I want to provide for her. At this point in my life, I'M looking for long term employment. I'm just tired going from job to job. I want to settle down at a place that would allow me to grow within the company.

You mean exam #8006 coming up this April. I applied online for the exam. I just have my cdl b permit with endorsements. When you took the cdl road test what kind of vehicle did you take it in? Since you have experience with driving garbage trucks,did you take the dsny exam last summer?

I hear you about job security,benefits. I am new to this forum and my first impression is that being a mta bus operator isn't something you want to do long term.

As stated, exam #8008 coming up this month. If you know something about it, I would appreciate your input, if not please disregard the post. I took the test with a school bus which granted me the passenger endorsement. I don't mean no disrespect, I'm not sure you understand the thread. Thanks for replying though.

HI!

Can you guys help me understand the different between MTA BUS and NYC Transit Bus operators? Are their both operates under the same union or are their different. My name is James and I have recently received a letter from the MTA Bus Company regarding a test which will be offered under exam # 8008. I don't understand why when I looked at DCAS website, I couldn't found exam #8008. I was also given a list number. I thought the list number was assigned after the test is taken ....why was it not.? I already posses a commercial driver's license with all the endorsements. I have had experienced driving school buses, concrete trucks, garbage trucks, oil trucks and flatbed trucks. I want to make a transition from working for private companies to public sector. Although private companies can pay well, the job can be insecure with no future benefits. I have a 17 months old baby girl, my first .... I want to provide for her. At this point in my life, I'M looking for long term employment. I'm just tired going from job to job. I want to settle down at a place that would allow me to grow within the company.

1. There are 3 divisions. MTA Bus, MaBSTOA (me), and TA. MTA Bus is the 7 private lines that were taken over. MaBSTOA (commonly called OA) runs the NYCTA local/limited buses in Manhattan and the Bronx (except 126st depot). TA runs the buses in STI, Brooklyn, and Queens.

2. Local 100 is the union for all of MaBSTOA, TA (Brooklyn and 126st only), and for MTA Bus, Yonkers, Eastchester, LaGuardia, College Point, and Baisley Park (MTA Bus training facility). JFK, Far Rockaway, and Spring Creek are ATU with possible different locals for those 3 garages. TA Queens depots are also ATU (different locals).

3. When you start at MTA Bus you get paid according to the pay rate of the depot. They do not have a uniformed pay scale. They are paid accoriding to the old private line contract. So if you go to Yonkers depot, you would get a start pay of what Liberty Lines Express used to pay. If at College point, you would get what Queens Surface use to pay, and etc......

4. MTA bus does not have a test just like MaBSTOA. You apply, and get a random list #, provided by a CPU. Only TA applicants predict their own list number by how well they do on a test. You will only take the BOSS (Bus Operator Selection Survey). That is the psychological test for B/O, and even TA B/Os take that after the civil service exam. You must pass the BOSS, so just tell them what they want to hear....not the truth.

5. The only good thing about the job is opportunity for advancement, and the benefits. The pay ain't worth the job, and the headache. It's the benefits that keep me here, at least until this darn Train Operator thing comes through.

6. Kiss your weekends good-bye for several years, unless you have a Va-jay-jay, and is willing to "sell your a$$", or give head for weekends off.

7. There is plenty of overtime, at all MTA bus divisions (OA, TA, and Bus Company)

8. For some reason their patches are on the left arm, not on the right.

I did learn in a flat-nose cheese bus, then drove them for Greenwich Bus (which was apart of White Plains Bus Company... aka Suburban Bus Service) for 2 weeks, then trained for Red and Tan (aka Rockland Coaches) for 3 weeks, spent 5.6 years at Campus Coach Lines:

MCI 102-EL3 (aka MCI Renaissance this is either 268 or 269)

aupic.gif

Van-Hool T2145 (either 270 or 271 as 272 is a 2003 with the non arm right mirror)

homepic.gif

Thanks alot DOB2RTO I appreciate the help. Now come to think of it, I should go hed and apply for the TA upcoming exam #8006. I will pursue the opportunity with the MTA Bus while applying with the TA. From your explanation, I assumed the benefit with the MTA does not equal that of the TA ....and that the TA benefit is better. Likewise, I'm in it for the benefits and the opportunity for advancement ....and being that I like working with the public, I don't think I will hate it that much. However though, I understand NYC Traffic can be stressful. As far as my weekends is concern, I would expect one free weekend every two weeks .....I don't think that's too much to ask ......and no BOB2RTO I don't have a Va-jay-jay. I have a 10" between my legs and I do not catch ....so they ain't going to be any head job around here. Thanks for the thought though ....good luck with Train Operator opportunity.

Thanks alot DOB2RTO I appreciate the help. Now come to think of it, I should go hed and apply for the TA upcoming exam #8006. I will pursue the opportunity with the MTA Bus while applying with the TA. From your explanation, I assumed the benefit with the MTA does not equal that of the TA ....and that the TA benefit is better. Likewise, I'm in it for the benefits and the opportunity for advancement ....and being that I like working with the public, I don't think I will hate it that much. However though, I understand NYC Traffic can be stressful. As far as my weekends is concern, I would expect one free weekend every two weeks .....I don't think that's too much to ask ......and no BOB2RTO I don't have a Va-jay-jay. I have a 10" between my legs and I do not catch ....so they ain't going to be any head job around here. Thanks for the thought though ....good luck with Train Operator opportunity.

They just had a Union meeting about the weekend stuff. At least at Kingsbridge, COAs (Change of Assignments), and change of days off will be gone, unless you have proof of a good reason of why you need off, or a COA. The MTA doesn't have to give it to us, as it is not contract, so the KB union is putting a stop to it, before it goes completely. Local 100 in TA works different than it does in OA. They told us and the Brooklynites who picked into OA, that everything goes through the union. Don't bother going into the GS/AGS office to ask for a day off because you are cool with them.

Last thing, you like the public now? Wait till you come work here. You will see some of the most lack of common sense, that you will ever see. You don't know people until you drive a bus here........You will have stories for generations.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the information. I read that some bus drivers in Washington D.C made over $100,000 yr with a lot of overtime of course. I can see why it is a stressful job. I am on the waiting list for dsny,should get called in sometime next year hopefully. I will be taking the bus operator exam in April,just like coolbreezing I want to stop going from one dead end job to another and build a pension,etc.

Are there are study guides for the exam? How many took the test last time? Train operator and conductor must be the 2 most sought after jobs at the MTA right?

By the way when I am driving and I see a bus pulling from a bus stop I always give them the right of way,I know that they are on a schedule,I have a lot of respect for buses as a motorist.

With the salary of a bus driver, it is almost impossible for a driver to make $100,00 a year. Those who manage to make that much, I say God bless to them. My advice to any driver ...is that ...they should never budget their long term financial needs around the over time. Overtime are temporary ......your bills are not. Conduct your life to your own expectation ....not to the expectation of others ....make purchases within your range.

About you 69 how did you come up with a name like that ....a name with a 69 at the end. What is that suppose to mean .....I don't mean to blow your spot .....but that name don't belong in a forum such as this one. I mean it doesn't bother me .....but it tells something about you ....

That was the year that I was born in (1969). Those bus drivers were working like 70 hrs a week. I agree with you coolbreezing. The average salary for a NYC bus driver is around 63k yr. Like DOB said there is a lot of overtime on this job,but I can see why the job is so stressful. There was a guy posting on a different forum,he had 6 years on the job as a mta bus driver and wanted to switch to the dsny,he wanted to know if his time there would count towards the dsny pension(20 yrs)if he got hired by dsny. Everybody that he spoke to gave him different answers.

With the salary of a bus driver, it is almost impossible for a driver to make $100,00 a year. Those who manage to make that much, I say God bless to them. My advice to any driver ...is that ...they should never budget their long term financial needs around the over time. Overtime are temporary ......your bills are not. Conduct your life to your own expectation ....not to the expectation of others ....make purchases within your range.

About you 69 how did you come up with a name like that ....a name with a 69 at the end. What is that suppose to mean .....I don't mean to blow your spot .....but that name don't belong in a forum such as this one. I mean it doesn't bother me .....but it tells something about you ....

It really isn't that hard. But kiss your wife or domestic partner and child(ren) goodbye, as you will have to do double-ups and work your RDOs. Don't forget at TA and OA the top pay is 26.92 (IIRC). You get time and a half for overtime. One driver made well over 100,000 in just 7 months. Then they capped his a$$. Again that means no life. Overtime is almost always existent here, but if the G/S or depot manager needs to balance those books at respective depot, they will almost eliminate overtime, especially for those at top pay. Newbies will get it first. Best overtime is subway shuttle season. At the union meeting in KB depot they said there were over 150+ pieces of work. Console even called over the radios, saying there was a A train G.O., and anyone wanting overtime call their crew office.

In OA overtime is done through the union office, and I have been asked to do some, and did I put in a slip for overtime. In almost two years I only did overtime 4 times. Never did a double up, or a finish up. I will only do overtime, if my bills states for me to do so. They have rarely done that.

That was the year that I was born in (1969). Those bus drivers were working like 70 hrs a week. I agree with you coolbreezing. The average salary for a NYC bus driver is around 63k yr. Like DOB said there is a lot of overtime on this job,but I can see why the job is so stressful. There was a guy posting on a different forum,he had 6 years on the job as a mta bus driver and wanted to switch to the dsny,he wanted to know if his time there would count towards the dsny pension(20 yrs)if he got hired by dsny. Everybody that he spoke to gave him different answers.

I don't think it would, as DSNY is a NYC civil service job, and MTA is a state civil service job. DSNY pensions come through the City of New York, ours come through the State of New York, even though you go through DCAS for TA positions.

It really isn't that hard. But kiss your wife or domestic partner and child(ren) goodbye, as you will have to do double-ups and work your RDOs. Don't forget at TA and OA the top pay is 26.92 (IIRC). You get time and a half for overtime. One driver made well over 100,000 in just 7 months. Then they capped his a$$. Again that means no life. Overtime is almost always existent here, but if the G/S or depot manager needs to balance those books at respective depot, they will almost eliminate overtime, especially for those at top pay. Newbies will get it first. Best overtime is subway shuttle season. At the union meeting in KB depot they said there were over 150+ pieces of work. Console even called over the radios, saying there was a A train G.O., and anyone wanting overtime call their crew office.

In OA overtime is done through the union office, and I have been asked to do some, and did I put in a slip for overtime. In almost two years I only did overtime 4 times. Never did a double up, or a finish up. I will only do overtime, if my bills states for me to do so. They have rarely done that.

I have a run that pays 12:46 a day (do the math) with Sunday Saturday RDO's . I dont need to sign the overtime book. I have a 6.5 Hr Swing(break) and I live 5 min from the Garage. You can make good money and you don't need to stay at work all day to make it either but you have to put your time in bud.(read seniority). If your up to the challenge its a good job.

BTW- Staten Island will most likely be opening up 2 new depots (Chocolate Factory and Livingston)within the next couple of years. The work is better out here and so is the pay.

Stay positive and good luck.(NYCT)

Who knows best if it's not DOB ....I mean the man has hands on experience compare to us 69 ......after all he is what we trying to be. $100.000 in just 7 months is questionable. Which mean he works for $26.92 * 40 hr which = $1,076.80 a week. If he work for 7 months which is about 28 weeks, he would have made approximately $30,150.40 without OT. If this guy wants to make $100.00 in just 7 months, he would have to work more than 50 hrs overtime @ $40.38 for 28 weeks ....and that's not including holidays where he could have gotten paid double ....how can someone works 50 hrs overtime weekly for 28 straight weeks ....what is this guy an animal ......it doesn't seem possible to me.

Well, I guess its good that the MTA has people like that ....otherwise they would have made OT obligatory ....and people like DOB would have to work whether or not he feels like so.

About you 69 ....I guess I thought wrong of the 69 .. but its OK though We all assumed ....assumption is a reflective thought .....it helps us to get to know each other. Being born in 1969 makes you 4 years older than I am.

We positive YUKO....the only thing here is that some people have a life some don't ......or some take too much responsibility than they can maintain. You see YUKO the system don't slave people ...people slave themselves. I am not saying that I wouldn't work overtime but they is a limit in everything. Doing 12 hrs OT weekly is normal ......but 50 every week makes you an animal.

I have a run that pays 12:46 a day (do the math) with Sunday Saturday RDO's . I dont need to sign the overtime book. I have a 6.5 Hr Swing(break) and I live 5 min from the Garage. You can make good money and you don't need to stay at work all day to make it either but you have to put your time in bud.(read seniority). If your up to the challenge its a good job.

BTW- Staten Island will most likely be opening up 2 new depots (Chocolate Factory and Livingston)within the next couple of years. The work is better out here and so is the pay.

Stay positive and good luck.(NYCT)

Job sucks to me, and so was driving OTR coaches. Some like it, some tolerate it. I'm tired of dealing with the gypsy cabs, and their total lack of respect for anyone else on the road. They do far to much illegal stuff while driving, and I'm ready to put them in the morgue with 66,400lbs, of 60ft New Flyer bus. I'm holding my cool for now until RTO calls me. Got to get off the road. That's me though.

Oh and when I did drive OTR coaches, I did attempt to ram plenty of them, but they run away like cowards, after talking smack.

Who knows best if it's not DOB ....I mean the man has hands on experience compare to us 69 ......after all he is what we trying to be. $100.000 in just 7 months is questionable. Which mean he works for $26.92 * 40 hr which = $1,076.80 a week. If he work for 7 months which is about 28 weeks, he would have made approximately $30,150.40 without OT. If this guy wants to make $100.00 in just 7 months, he would have to work more than 50 hrs overtime @ $40.38 for 28 weeks ....and that's not including holidays where he could have gotten paid double ....how can someone works 50 hrs overtime weekly for 28 straight weeks ....what is this guy an animal ......it doesn't seem possible to me.

Well, I guess its good that the MTA has people like that ....otherwise they would have made OT obligatory ....and people like DOB would have to work whether or not he feels like so.

About you 69 ....I guess I thought wrong of the 69 .. but its OK though We all assumed ....assumption is a reflective thought .....it helps us to get to know each other. Being born in 1969 makes you 4 years older than I am.

We positive YUKO....the only thing here is that some people have a life some don't ......or some take too much responsibility than they can maintain. You see YUKO the system don't slave people ...people slave themselves. I am not saying that I wouldn't work overtime but they is a limit in everything. Doing 12 hrs OT weekly is normal ......but 50 every week makes you an animal.

Holiday pay, you get an additional 8hrs not double your run pay. If he worked holidays, and did his run lets say 11hrs, then did a finish up let's say 5 hrs, he still gets the 8hrs holiday pay, in one day he gets 24hrs of pay. He did plenty of double-ups, finish ups, and pull ups at night. He bragged to just about every West Farms driver how much he made, then whined when they capped him. No more overtime for him, then. He was bragging during the summer about it.

The MTA should be more careful about situation like that .....where an employee works 40 hrs OT or more over one week time. That kind of practice is dangerous not only to himself but more importantly to the commuters. This guy exhausting himself ....at this point I'm not sure if he is getting enough sleeps which makes the possibility of him getting into an accident very likely. The MTA should in this case minimize his weekly overtime so that they won't have to stop him completely. A guy like that is useful around the holidays ......by minimizing his weekly overtime, you'll have him for all the holidays and weekends.

DOB I know the gypsy cabs are a pain in the a$$ but be patient with them DOB. We are in difficult time, not every one can get a legal job in this country. This country depends on legal emigrants as well as illegal emigrants for survival. There are tons of works that Americans and legal emigrants are not willing to do ....and all those work generate an income. The gypsy cabs are ticketed all the time ......the city generate a revenue out of that ........otherwise their would stop it ....for their have the power to do so. It is the same reason why this country don't put a stop to illegal immigrants .....because some businesses benefit from illegal immigrants. Be patient my friend ...don't run them over ......because there are Americans and legal immigrant in those cabs.

Very interesting guys. Are the bus drivers under the same rules and regulations as over the road truck drivers? A city bus is a commercial vehicle... I think they can't drive more than 10 or 11 hrs within a 24 hour time frame.

I agree that one shouldn't work so much overtime,not only lead to accidents but it takes a toll on you physically as well as mentally. Although the overtime helps the new guys on the job,as the starting base salary seems to be around 38k/39k yr.

DOB I know the gypsy cabs are a pain in the a$$ but be patient with them DOB. We are in difficult time, not every one can get a legal job in this country. This country depends on legal emigrants as well as illegal emigrants for survival. There are tons of works that Americans and legal emigrants are not willing to do ....and all those work generate an income. The gypsy cabs are ticketed all the time ......the city generate a revenue out of that ........otherwise their would stop it ....for their have the power to do so. It is the same reason why this country don't put a stop to illegal immigrants .....because some businesses benefit from illegal immigrants. Be patient my friend ...don't run them over ......because there are Americans and legal immigrant in those cabs.

They just need to learn and obey others and the rules of the road. They literally would drive onto the oncoming traffic lane just to not let a bus that needs to get over, over. That is why I usually block both lanes, when driving on a four lane (2 in each direction) road, when the lanes are narrow for buses. You know it's bad when customers have bad things to say about them. But I do hear the TLC is cracking down on them, and heck a few days ago MTA Police pulled one over, and wrote him a summons. Yes MTA Police, not the lazy NYPD who should be cracking down on them and their reckless and dangerous improper driving habits. They are just as bad as the yellow cabs, and you will see if you get behind the wheel of a bus. It's easy to say be patient with them, until you drive these and see how they treat buses. That is why alot of us dish it back out. I am ALOT bigger. 4,000lbs Towncar won't affect a 66,400lbs bus.

Very interesting guys. Are the bus drivers under the same rules and regulations as over the road truck drivers? A city bus is a commercial vehicle... I think they can't drive more than 10 or 11 hrs within a 24 hour time frame.

I agree that one shouldn't work so much overtime,not only lead to accidents but it takes a toll on you physically as well as mentally. Although the overtime helps the new guys on the job,as the starting base salary seems to be around 38k/39k yr.

Nope as transit bus drivers we are not. We just have to have 8hrs off before returning to work, but you can do double ups, finish ups, or pull ups, as long as you have 8hrs off before returning to your regular assignment, unless you are off the next day.

Only OTR Motorcoach operators are binded by the same rules as OTR truckers. I would know as I did drive those for 5.6 years. Log book checks, and bus inspections were very common at 6 flags Great Adventures, by N.J. State Troopers, and their DOT commercial vehicle inspection units. The old rule was 10hrs driving, 15 hrs total work time (driving and sitting time), with 8hrs off, which still leaves 1 hr unaccounted for. Now it's 11hrs driving, with a possible 16hrs total work time, and 8hrs off.

Those gypsy probably knows your face by now ......this is the bus driver you don't want to fck with. I here you man .....I agree some don't obey the traffic rules. I drove a concrete truck through Utica ave all the time ...and their don't bother me .....I think their more afraid of those truck if anything else ...I'm all steels you know what I mean.

Well, I took the survey test on 01-30-08 at 180 Livingston St in Brooklyn. The man in charge there is Mr. Williams ....he is in charge of the hiring process ....he does the interviews and he is the last man you will see after you get hired. To my knowledge, the test is designed to check one's character ......I did not have to lie ......I only had to be consistent by being me. The same questions were asked repeatedly in different format ....In my opinion, I think if a person's intention is to lie than the chances for passing the test is narrow.

Mr. William said that the MTA Bus company is somewhat different from TA and that it's only 2 years old. There are changes waiting to happen ......but it will take sometime before those changes can take place. The starting salary for the MTA Bus company operator is $2.00 less than that of a TA. The Union is the same though local 100 ... my man Mr. Roger Toussaint. I'm still going to take the exam 8006 coming up for the TA .....because I don't know how long its going to take before everything can be the same.

What you need to look at for 69 is your license .....you need 4 points or less within 3 years time to be considered a candidate for employment .....you need passenger and air breaks .....if you have one but not the other ...get your act together now ....and don't lie about your convictions if you have any ....it does not matter if you got caught jumping the train ...don't lie we all did it at one point ....you know what I mean....

good luck

The MTA Bus pay is $2 less at the highest paying MTA Bus depot, which is most likely Yonkers and Eastchester depots. It can be $6 less, and some have fell for that, after MTA told them $2 less.

You have to be consistent on the BOSS exam, but be consistent telling them what they want to hear. You answer that question "if you had a problem with a co-worker would you a) let it go, ;) confront them, c) tell the boss, or d) tell others to keep away from them, and you answer anything but "a", good luck next time.

*that question and answers are just fiction, but it goes something like that*

The MTA Bus company starting salary is $2.00 less than the starting salary of TA. Is it clearer now ....I think what you mean is that TA top pay can be $6.00 - $10.00 more than the starting salary of an MTA Bus company operator. The top pay for TA is $26.90 the starting salary for MTA Bus company operator is $16.00 .......some of us who wants to join are not looking at it from that prospective .....if we do it will discourage us .....therefore, we prefer to think of the long term benefit. Although some of us who are starting up do have enough experience to make top pay, it won't happen that way ......because it doesn't work like that .....so we just have to suck it in .....and take the abuse for now.

About the question on the survey ........that example is designed to see how the potential employee handle confrontations. However though, the question was not posed as you stated .......but I understand you just giving a vague example. Well, I guess we'll see .....

The MTA Bus company starting salary is $2.00 less than the starting salary of TA. Is it clearer now ....I think what you mean is that TA top pay can be $6.00 - $10.00 more than the starting salary of an MTA Bus company operator. The top pay for TA is $26.90 the starting salary for MTA Bus company operator is $16.00 .......some of us who wants to join are not looking at it from that prospective .....if we do it will discourage us .....therefore, we prefer to think of the long term benefit. Although some of us who are starting up do have enough experience to make top pay, it won't happen that way ......because it doesn't work like that .....so we just have to suck it in .....and take the abuse for now.

About the question on the survey ........that example is designed to see how the potential employee handle confrontations. However though, the question was not posed as you stated .......but I understand you just giving a vague example. Well, I guess we'll see .....

A poster on here RTS4Life who I known from the original BusTalk went to MTA Bus. He was told what you were told. He got sent to Spring Creek depot. He was getting around $12hr, while when I started at OA, I got 16.99hr. Now OA/TA pay is 18+hr, since we have a contract and MTA Bus doesn't. There is no set pay at MTA Bus yet, as you get paid according to the depot you pick into. There is no one scale pay there yet. You pick into Spring Creek you get what Command pays, and etc.... I know what they tell you in Brooklyn, but that is to get people there, and once you are in, you either accept it, and wait until they get a uniformed contract or quit. You'll see my friend......Good Luck!

OK ....I understand what you saying to me now. In another word all this beautiful talk at Livingston st are partly BS. You right the starting salary could very well be different than the $16.00 mentioned by Mr. Williams. In your opinion, which depot would you say that start its drivers at least at $16.00 an hr. Also do their take in consideration a driver's prior experience. Someone like me who is 19A certified (school Bus) and who has been driving commercial vehicles for over 10 years ....why should I be place on the same boat with someone who has no driving experience at all?. Specially when I only had one accident on my driving record. Doesn't that make me a lesser risk for potential accidents. I hope it works out because I can't feed my daughter and pay rent with $16.00 an hr. Thanks for the heads up DOB ....

a question about the boss exam. if you did not chose answer "A" are you most likly to fail the whole exam? Because in my past in my job, if i had a problem with a co-worker i would resolve it with a manager so that the copmany and staff knew what had been going on. Its not about being a "snitch" its only about letting the proper people be aware of the situation. or am i understanding the post wrong? please educate me.

Archived