R44 On the F

Guest MTA Bus

R62A/R32/R42also has that sound. Its probably because they all have westinghouse propulsion motors. You wouldn't on an R62/R46 also the RIP(R38/40/redbirds), because they're under General Electric Motors(GE). Also any of the NTT cars(R142series/R143/R160series) wouldn't have that sound.

R32 Phase 2s have that sound; R32 Phase 1s and GEs don't.

OK, now I understand you were responding to the first statement, rather than the second.

And yes, I did notice that jet-like sound. Some cars of various classes do that. It was explained one time to me, but it is rather technical.

I'v heard that sound on some of the R68/A cars,but i mostly remember it on 4942.that was the 1st car i heard it on.

The Culver middle tracks were (don't know if they still do it here or somewhere else like on the 3rd track along the Rockaway flats) used to check emergency stop distances on all classes of cars. The train you shot was likely doing that on that particular day. The t/o would get the train up to speed, the train would strike a portable trip, go BIE, then the stopping distance would be measured.

This was an offshoot of the WillyB wreck where the train was properly tripped by a red signal, but it took too long for the train to stop coupled with a block that was too short. That problem has been corrected on the WillyB thanks to the new signals installed due to the reconstruction.

yep and I took this video many years ago....

Archived