G.O. at East 180th St Yard

Trainmaster5

Attention all you track lovers. For the next few days major trackwork will be done in the E.180th St yard. New trackage and switches are being installed to ease some of the congestion at the station. The work is best viewed from s/b (5) trains on the Dyre line (best option), or s/b (2) trains leaving Bronx Park East. I don't know if the view from the north end of the s/b platform at E. 180th station is close enough to see exactly what's being done. If you're in the area bring your camera.

(1) Thanks for this. But when are they going to add a Trackway that connects from Unionport Rd yd to 180th Stree yd? I thought in the past G/o that cut White Plains Road Expres <5> from running?

(2) Any plans to demolish the Dyre EL over WPR Line(Replace it to prevent WPR/Dyre congesting during RH) or switch WPR Line so it can allow Dyre trains to run on the M track during rush hrs then going on the local and making the (2) wait for WPR M track?

(1) Thanks for this. But when are they going to add a Trackway that connects from Unionport Rd yd to 180th Stree yd? I thought in the past G/o that cut White Plains Road Expres <5> from running?

(2) Any plans to demolish the Dyre EL over WPR Line(Replace it to prevent WPR/Dyre congesting during RH) or switch WPR Line so it can allow Dyre trains to run on the M track during rush hrs then going on the local and making the (2) wait for WPR M track?

Answer is short for both of your questions , never and no. To connect both yards a track MUST cross the mainline just north of the station from the NYWB side to the zoo side. there is(was) a track which did just that but it hasn't been used in years because of the congestion it created at East 180th St on both lines, (2) and (5). From the north end of the station look to the right at the NYWB station and follow the track there as it crosses the n/b local track just before the tower, under the parkway. It connects with all of the tracks including the yard leads on the other side. This G.O. will probably sever that connection because the new switch machines and trackage appear to be put in at that location where the old connection is now. At least that's where the new stuff is stacked right now. As far as the elevated Dyre track goes there are new, inactive, signals in place and a new switch being installed which leads directly into the East 180th St yard from the (5) line to eliminate the tie-ups when out of service trains from Dyre are sent to the yard there.

Any service impacts?

Is the resignalling of the E180 plant to BMT signals near finishing, or never even started yet?

There are some newer, BMT style, signals installed on the flyover now mixed in with the old IRT signals. There also new dwarf signals in E. 180 yd, inactive for now, but put in service when the switch is installed in the next few days. As for the rest of the old IRT signals at East 180 st I think they have to have a major G.O. where the old tower is de-activated to install new signals. The tower at Unionport would have to take over all train movements in the area. At the same time they would likely install new signals on the entire Dyre Ave line because that line is controlled by the OLD tower, not Unionport, in it's entirety. As far as a new G.O. goes I know what has to be done but how they will go about it is only speculation on my part. Hope this helps though.

Archived