2010 Winter Olympics from Vancouver, BC

Shortline Bus

Hey guys feel free to dicuss anything news and events related to the 2010 Winter Olympic Games from Vancouver, British Columbia in Canada. Sadly the opening of these games got off to a tragic and controversial start yesterday on 2/12/10. This despite a beautiful opening cermonies in which Wayne Gretzy was among the '4' people who light the Olympic flame.

The accidental death of Luger Nodar Kumaritashvili during a pratice run on a luge track considered by many the most dangerous in Olympic history. Unlike most of the United States this winter season, Vancouver has had one of their warmest winters on record and some feel the lack of cold/ice played a role in this accident. Feel free to comment on this or any events. Guys do you also plan to watch any events? Personally the only ones i probably watch is the Hockey, Figure Skating, Bobsled and Sking. Here the story of the luger's death.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/winter_olympics_2010/2010/02/13/2010-02-13_olympic_pfficials_to_reopen_luge_after_nodar_kumaritashvilis_death_track_not_to_.html#ixzz0fVBBZfVR'>http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/winter_olympics_2010/2010/02/13/2010-02-13_olympic_pfficials_to_reopen_luge_after_nodar_kumaritashvilis_death_track_not_to_.html#ixzz0fVBBZfVR

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/winter_olympics_2010/2010/02/13/2010-02-13_olympic_pfficials_to_reopen_luge_after_nodar_kumaritashvilis_death_track_not_to_.html

Hey guys feel free to dicuss anything news and events related to the 2010 Winter Olympic Games from Vancouver, British Columbia in Canada. Sadly the opening of these games got off to a tragic and controversial start yesterday on 2/12/10. This despite a beautiful opening cermonies in which Wayne Gretzy was among the '4' people who light the Olympic flame.

The accidental death of Luger Nodar Kumaritashvili during a pratice run on a luge track considered by many the most dangerous in Olympic history. Unlike most of the United States this winter season, Vancouver has had one of their warmest winters on record and some feel the lack of cold/ice played a role in this accident. Feel free to comment on this or any events. Guys do you also plan to watch any events? Personally the only ones i probably watch is the Hockey, Figure Skating, Bobsled and Sking. Here the story of the luger's death.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/winter_olympics_2010/2010/02/13/2010-02-13_olympic_pfficials_to_reopen_luge_after_nodar_kumaritashvilis_death_track_not_to_.html#ixzz0fVBBZfVR'>http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/winter_olympics_2010/2010/02/13/2010-02-13_olympic_pfficials_to_reopen_luge_after_nodar_kumaritashvilis_death_track_not_to_.html#ixzz0fVBBZfVR

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/winter_olympics_2010/2010/02/13/2010-02-13_olympic_pfficials_to_reopen_luge_after_nodar_kumaritashvilis_death_track_not_to_.html

Or anyone mad that NBC will cut programming on almost all shows for next 2 week lol.

Agreed, the winter olympics even more so then the summer olympics. At least for the summer olympics you have a better selection of sporting events to watch.

NBC should have their own "Olympic" channel so everyones happy.

Can't wait till I see the Yanks start kicking some behind....

NBC should have their own "Olympic" channel so everyones happy.

Can't wait till I see the Yanks start kicking some behind....

Actually NBC just started a "Olympic' channel couple of years back for the last olympics in Bejing called "US" aka Universal Sports. "US" is an ESPN type channel devoted to covering full time 'olympic sports ' and international comeptation not seen on American television from winter events like bobsleding and sking to summer events like track and field.

Dan, the reason why you probably have not seen "US" aka Universal Sports is that right now only available on 'expanded' and not regular digital cable.

Other than figure skating, skiing, bobsled and hockey.(i am causal NHL fan)

A Bummer is that the Jamaican team did not qualify for these Vancouver games in bobsled competation.

I myself much prefer the summer olympics myself.:P

Honestly me either until the other night. I did watch last night (thursday 2/18/10)when Evan Lysacek became the first American gold medalist in the men's figure skating event since Brian Boitano.

Also watched part of the US Hockey Team blow out Norway in a first round game while Canada had to survive a overtime 'shootout' to being victim to a huge upset in Switerland.

As a causal NHL Hockey fan, i really look forward to Sunday's US/Canada 'showdown' with the winner most likely advancing to the gold medal title game while the loser will a very tough road in the elimantion rounds.

Like most of the guys who commented here, i much prefer to watch the Summer Olympics myself.

Off topic but related. Any Curling fans lol?:cool:

They already have a channel perfect for it: MSNBC. No one watches that channel. Having that as all Olympics would be a better use for it.

Plus the Olympics is more informative than the liberal garbage that channel espouses.

They already have a channel perfect for it: MSNBC. No one watches that channel. Having that as all Olympics would be a better use for it.

Actually if the Comcast purchase of the entire NBC family of TV channels including MSNBC is approved by our government, the new owners might already be planning an 24/7 sports network to compete with ESPN.

Also MSNBC and CNBC already shows some of the Olympic events that their main NBC channel does not show. For example MSNBC is showing almost all of the Olympic Hockey games until the semifinals and gold medal title game not involving the US as well.

I do agree that during the weekdays between 11am-6pm our time(this year host city is in same time zone as California)should be on the NBC cable channels. NBC should show events during the 'prime time' evening (other than their Thursday Night line up what 'hits' the peacock station has lol:eek:)

and weekend afternoons only.

Guys i know most of you are not into the Olympics especially the winter games. However history is being made right now, as through the halfway point of the 2010 Vancouver games, the US is the lead country in overall medals with 24 including '7' gold medals as of Sunday Afternoon 2/21/10.

This is first time our nation has led the medal count this late in any Winter games ever. I admit i dont have time to watch every minute of these games but the main courses ie Woman Figure Skating Final, the Hockey Final and Sking is coming up.

NBC is doing it's best ratings in any Winter games since the 2002 Salt Lake City games.

Just wondering if anyone else is watching?

Today Febuary 28, 2010 is the last day of the winter olympics. Did anyone watch any part of it? I only watched the events i am inrestred in such as the Hockey, Figure Skating, some skining and the bobsled. The Hockey tournment has been outstanding as the US takes on Canada in the gold medal title game.

Or most of you looking forward to regular programming returning on NBC?:eek:

Reactions?

Today Febuary 28, 2010 is the last day of the winter olympics. Did anyone watch any part of it? I only watched the events i am inrestred in such as the Hockey, Figure Skating, some skining and the bobsled. The Hockey tournment has been outstanding as the US takes on Canada in the gold medal title game.

Or most of you looking forward to regular programming returning on NBC?:eek:

Reactions?

Today is the last day of the winter olympics right? "celebrates":cool:...looking forward to spring training baseball on Tuesday, Mets vs Braves,1:10 PM on SNY.

The main focus of this year's winter olympics was figure skating....

let me repeat that again... figure skating.

I see a bunch of flamboyant dudes 5 days a week when I come to, and leave work (greenwich village).. don't need to tune in to see a bunch of men fluttering around in white feathers, glitter, rhinestones, & pink f***ing bunnytails....

Anyway, only part of this winter olympics I've bothered watching, are the (men's & women's) Hockey games... I'll probably catch the 3rd period of today's usa/canada men's finals later on....

The main focus of this year's winter olympics was figure skating....

let me repeat that again... figure skating.

I see a bunch of flamboyant dudes 5 days a week when I come to, and leave work (greenwich village).. don't need to tune in to see a bunch of men fluttering around in white feathers, glitter, rhinestones, & pink f***ing bunnytails....

Anyway, only part of this winter olympics I've bothered watching, are the (men's & women's) Hockey games... I'll probably catch the 3rd period of today's usa/canada men's finals later on....

Bro. Figure Skating is always :eek:the most watched event at the winter olympics every time on TV.

News to me.

Guess it explains the hatred of the winter olympics.

I expect ratings to be in the single digits... especially the NY rating.

Actually incorrect bro. These games have been the highest in years. However an asterik has to be added since much of the US public has been forced home due to the historic snowfalls/cold winter in much of the country. Plus Canada is considered the '51st US state' so it almost a 'home field advantage' for the US as well. It has even beaten "American Idol' the first time in over 8 years since "Idol' first season that any show has beaten "Idol' in the ratings. Link is here.

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/ratings/

Exciting hockey game USA and Canada tied 2-2 going into sudden death overtime should be exciting . This USA team wont die.

Canada has won the gold 3-2. Still my hats off to the US for great effort in this tournment. Ryan Miller of the Sabres just made himself in list of among the top hockey goalies in the world for the US.

Yes he did the USA hockey team have nothing to be ahamed of they are champions hats off to the goalie Mller.

Nel, Concourse B35 or anyone who watched the game. Was it as exciting as it sounded on the radio like a game 7 Stanley Cup playoff? I missed game because of the blizzard and TV service from Time Warner was kncked off due to the storm here upstate ny.

I hate the regular season NHL but the Stanley Cup and now the Winter Olympic hockey is among the best playoff tournments imo in the world.

I mainly watch hockey as causal NHL fan during the Stanley Cup only in recent years.

Archived