What is the worst terminal for relaying Trains and bottlenecking

nel070

I was on the (R) train stuck between 67 ave and continental northbound and missed four to five express trains. I was wondering what do the members think is the worst place to terminate trains and relay them back. I say its 71st continental where there is always a bottleneck and cant handle relaying two train lines .

I was on the (R) train stuck between 67 ave and continental northbound and missed four to five express trains. I was wondering what do the members think is the worst place to terminate trains and relay them back. I say its 71st continental where there is always a bottleneck and cant handle relaying two train lines .

I can't disagree in regard to Continental.

It's especially problematic when a passenger refuses to detrain at that location.

From what I've seen the worst terminal for relaying trains is Jamaica Center (E). The station can only relay 12TPH, and since the (E) runs 15TPH it causes 3TPH to go to 179th St. during rush hours. The worst terminal for bottlenecking is Continental Ave., since (R) and (V) trains get backed up to as far as Woodhaven Blvd. going E/B.

True, but I've been on 2 trains that pulled into the s/b track to leave as a 5 and vice versa. I didn't expect them to hold up 'traffic' just so the 2 can pull into the n/b track.

Sometimes the inspection barn at 239 St yard (2), or East 180th St yard (5) needs that particular train back ASAP so they can't be swapped off at Flatbush. Other times they may have swapped some trains earlier and must run that particular train as a (2) or (5) to even things out. Finally, that decision may be made by RCC, instead of the dispatcher at Flatbush Ave, because ultimately it's RCC controlling the switches at Flatbush Ave by the ATS system.That is why many railfans may love the computerized ATS system but all IRT train crews hate it. Sometimes technology sucks.

I can't disagree in regard to Continental.

It's especially problematic when a passenger refuses to detrain at that location.

From what i seen operational wise Continental in the B Div...

Utica Ave in the A Div like Bill said let one person dont feel like getting off the train...

Just out of curiosity what typically happens when a passenger "refuses" to leave the train when it's going into non revenue track? Feel free to PM if need be, just curious...

Basically, the T/O and C/R get in trouble.

No that's not what I was asking. I know what happens if they take them into the relay and are discovered, but that wasn't my question. My post was directed at BfM and RTOMan since they are T/O's, and therefore would have firsthand knowledge of this.

Just out of curiosity what typically happens when a passenger "refuses" to leave the train when it's going into non revenue track? Feel free to PM if need be, just curious...

I usually politely explain to them that what they're doing is screwing up service and inconveniencing the other passengers. Like Big Bubba and his cousin Bruno standing on the platform who are getting angrier by the minute. That works 80% of the time. If it doesn't I'll bring up the police option. That works about 15% of the time. If it's my last trip and the train is headed toward the yard I get up close and personal with the offender. I'll ask about their family life, immigration status, insurance policies ,etc. I'll ask about their religious convictions, ie. belief in God, Jesus, Allah, Buddha, whatever. I then point out how close they are to meeting the Divine One with my help. That works every time. So well that I sometimes wonder why I even bother with the first two options. This policy is NOT sanctioned by the (MTA), or NYCT , although quite a few NYPD watch me do this and like it. The proper response is to let NYPD handle it after calling it in to RCC and local supervision.

No that's not what I was asking. I know what happens if they take them into the relay and are discovered, but that wasn't my question. My post was directed at BfM and RTOMan since they are T/O's, and therefore would have firsthand knowledge of this.

We tell them that the train will reverse direction and will come back to the station.

Yeah then wait for it to go through 6 wire and the sgt sitting at control to put it over to central dispatch, then wait for central dispatch to put it over, then wait for a cop to pick up the job, a whole process which usually takes on average 5-10mins for a cop to even pick up the job, let alone respond.

Good, that's not the crews' problem tho!

Better that than taking the passenger onto the relay. Suppose the guys pulls a cord down there and assaults the crew while reseting it? Suppose the train doesn't re-charge on the other end?

Archived