Will placing the R68 and R68A on part-time lines affect their MDBF?

R68 Subway Car

Even though i like the R40S. But they have had it. they are being held toghter with duct tape. they are ageing up but they were awsome in their prime.Right now they are the third worst car in the fleet.The only cars that are worst are the R142s and the R44s.Even the R46 is holding up better than the R40s!

Even though i like the R40S. But they have had it. they are being held toghter with duct tape. they are ageing up but they were awsome in their prime.Right now they are the third worst car in the fleet.The only cars that are worst are the R142s and the R44s.Even the R46 is holding up better than the R40s!

the reason why the R40 Slants are in such bad condition is becase the MTA fails to properly maintain them. they should be moved to another train yard which has proper maintanance.

You guys are thinking too much like railfans. Do you seriously think that everyday riders would prefer an R40 over an R68? Riders hate the old cars because they are too loud. Do you ever see everyday riders crowding over the railfan window like railfans do? no. All they care about is getting from point A to point B in a comfortable state. While I like the old cars their suspension SUCKS (and Phil DON'T argue with me on this becasue your vision of the R42s is clouded by your bias) compared to the 75 footers. I don't know how many people I know who think a subway car is slow because the suspension is actually GOOD. Seriously Phil, not trying to be harsh or anything but from the way you say you hate the R68s it sounds like you've never rode one because so many things you say about them are inaccurate.
Listen. I'm coming from a Train Operators POV. The R68s DO ride smoother then the Slants. When I ride in a 68, They just feel like shit, Even though they are smoother. You want a nice ride? Ride an R46. Thats a REAL train and the BEST 75 foot car made. R68s are slow as shit, They have a delay in the braking, and you get alot of stuck storm doors. Suspension doesn't have anything to do with the power of the motors.

About the R42s. I Like the R42s because they are pretty quick, have good braking, and have the G.E Master Controller which is the best MS there is. The G.E MS is also on the Mods, and Slants. Are the roofs rusting? Yes they are. The things have only been around for almost 30 years. If the MTA really wanted to, all they have to do is overhaul them instead of buying the Garbage R143s and R160s. You will NEVER get CLOSE to 30 years with those R160s/R143s.

What the hell are you talking about?
The R142/As are one of the worst trains ever made. here why

-Dead HVAC i rode one today with a dead HVAC the train was so quiet you can hear a pin drop.

-jerks vionetly when leaving the station and switching tracks.

-fickering lights every time the train goes over a third rail gap the lights ficker because of all the dead battires the R142s have.

-broken A/C ive rode one set of R142s with broken A/C over the summer it was like a 100 degrees!

-broken heaters Ive rode one today the train was cold as hell it was like riding in a freezer.

-makes weird noises like this R142A i was riding in today was making weird squeaking noises.

-doesnt ride smooth when going express starts swaying back an forth very rapidly.

-broken doors ive seen lots of R142/As with broken doors

-interior lighting turning orange

-And countless other problems

The redbirds were way better than these trash/junky trains. Ive rode the redbirds countless number of times and never had any of these problems.

Listen. I'm coming from a Train Operators POV. The R68s DO ride smoother then the Slants. When I ride in a 68, They just feel like shit, Even though they are smoother. You want a nice ride? Ride an R46. Thats a REAL train and the BEST 75 foot car made. R68s are slow as shit, They have a delay in the braking, and you get alot of stuck storm doors. Suspension doesn't have anything to do with the power of the motors.

About the R42s. I Like the R42s because they are pretty quick, have good braking, and have the G.E Master Controller which is the best MS there is. The G.E MS is also on the Mods, and Slants. Are the roofs rusting? Yes they are. The things have only been around for almost 30 years. If the MTA really wanted to, all they have to do is overhaul them instead of buying the Garbage R143s and R160s. You will NEVER get CLOSE to 30 years with those R160s/R143s.

I agree that the R46s are good cars, as I frequently ride them as I go to school in the morning, but the R68s and R68As are good as well. Yes the Coney Island R68s and R68As may look physically bad, but their mechanical peformance is as good as the Concourse R68s. I agree that the R68s and R68As have a smooth ride. The R68s and R68As, like all other NYC Subway Cars, can gain a top speed of 40-45 Miles Per-hour, and prior to the year 1995, all NYCT Subway Cars had field shunting, but in order to make the system "Safer", the trains had their field shunting removed, slowing train speeds. As I just stated, all NYC Subway Cars can achieve high speeds on regular, non downhill, straight tracks.

the reason why the R40 Slants are in such bad condition is becase the MTA fails to properly maintain them. they should be moved to another train yard which has proper maintanance.

1. They are going, there is no reason to give such a high priority to maintenance anymore. Just giving them minimum to moderate maintenance is fine for now.

2. Yes, Error, they should be moved somewhere else because Coney Island Yard, the biggest and best yard of them all, fails to maintain the R40s properly.

The R142/As are one of the worst trains ever made. here why

-Dead HVAC i rode one today with a dead HVAC the train was so quiet you can hear a pin drop.

-jerks vionetly when leaving the station and switching tracks.

-fickering lights every time the train goes over a third rail gap the lights ficker because of all the dead battires the R142s have.

-broken A/C ive rode one set of R142s with broken A/C over the summer it was like a 100 degrees!

-broken heaters Ive rode one today the train was cold as hell it was like riding in a freezer.

-makes weird noises like this R142A i was riding in today was making weird squeaking noises.

-doesnt ride smooth when going express starts swaying back an forth very rapidly.

-broken doors ive seen lots of R142/As with broken doors

-interior lighting turning orange

-And countless other problems

The redbirds were way better than these trash/junky trains. Ive rode the redbirds countless number of times and never had any of these problems.

Most of those points you listed, the Redbirds did the same thing!

And most of what you base on is from your bias point of views and by your sitings of select FEW R142/As at different shops.

R142/As are damn good cars and we all know it.

Now, I'm a big fan of the Redbirds too and miss them dearly, but I've moved on and accepted the R142/As.

1. They are going, there is no reason to give such a high priority to maintenance anymore. Just giving them minimum to moderate maintenance is fine for now.

2. Yes, Error, they should be moved somewhere else because Coney Island Yard, the biggest and best yard of them all, fails to maintain the R40s properly.

how is coney island yard the best? look at how terrible the R40's are.

they really really should accomodate the Corona yard to maintain the B Division trains as well, they do an Excellent job in maintenance.

they really really should accomodate the Corona yard to maintain the B Division trains as well, they do an Excellent job in maintenance.

WHOA?!?

Error says the R40s are terrible?!?

I guess he finally got the point and is actually listening.

While normally I would agree with you on the maintenance statement, it doesn't apply to the cars that are about to be scrapped now because they would be falling apart even WITH proper maintenance. The other cars CI manages just fine.

And you know, you can just improve the way R46s and R32s are maintained at Jamaica instead of combining them (Jamaica and Corona as you proposed somewhere else) together.

While normally I would agree with you on the maintenance statement, it doesn't apply to the cars that are about to be scrapped now because they would be falling apart even WITH proper maintenance. The other cars CI manages just fine.

And you know, you can just improve the way R46s and R32s are maintained at Jamaica instead of combining them (Jamaica and Corona as you proposed somewhere else) together.

the jamaica yard trains are terrible!! just look at the R32's on the E line. note how the R32's on A and C lines are all nice and clean and excellent while the R32's on the E line are dirty and noisier than the other ones.

the reason why i suggested combining the two yards is that 1) the corona yard isn't really that far away from the jamaica yard, and 2) the R62A's on the 7 line are nice and all of them have clean windows and they don't smell like homeless people so therefore one can assume the corona yard does a good job cleaning them.

the jamaica yard trains are terrible!! just look at the R32's on the E line. note how the R32's on A and C lines are all nice and clean and excellent while the R32's on the E line are dirty and noisier than the other ones.

the reason why i suggested combining the two yards is that 1) the corona yard isn't really that far away from the jamaica yard, and 2) the R62A's on the 7 line are nice and all of them have clean windows and they don't smell like homeless people so therefore one can assume the corona yard does a good job cleaning them.

Yeah, I'm also glad the Corona facility is doing a good job with the scratchitti and the painted ends of the cars. However you're forgetting that this is the new Corona facility that opened in 2006. That's why it's doing so much better. I have nothing to base this on, but Corona was just as bad as Jamaica before the new Corona Yard was completed.

Also, only the Jamaica R32s smell like homeless people because the E train is the ideal line to sleep on.

You guys ever wonder why these Slants have duck tape covering them? I'll tell you why. The people who do the work down there on the slants are doing half ass jobs. They figure they are getting scrapped soon anyway, so lets just duct tape whatever takes us time and effort to fix. There are other methods you can use to fix things. To me, It looks like they use the duct tape on some of the slants to act as a weather stripping. That is NOT the way you do things. Because something is done wrong does not mean the train is cheap. You have to take other things into account. The operational aspects of the slants are awesome. They are fast, and they have good braking. Is the suspension all that good? No, buts its not that bad. You guys are comparing air bag suspension to Slant 40s which do not have Air bag suspension.

Yeah, I'm also glad the Corona facility is doing a good job with the scratchitti and the painted ends of the cars. However you're forgetting that this is the new Corona facility that opened in 2006. That's why it's doing so much better. I have nothing to base this on, but Corona was just as bad as Jamaica before the new Corona Yard was completed.

Also, only the Jamaica R32s smell like homeless people because the E train is the ideal line to sleep on.

why are you so against the corona yard?

the jamaica yard is doing a bad job, and the proof is in the trains.

why are you so against the corona yard?

the jamaica yard is doing a bad job, and the proof is in the trains.

I'm not against the Corona Yard...and the Jamaica Yard is picking up the pace. They've painted the ends of a few R46s here and there (i think one car was 6108 or so), not to mention replace the seats and flooring on R46 5772.

R32 falling apart??? you wish!!

i guess you haven't ridden in an R46 lately...

Yes i have ridden an r46 on tuesday and it pretty smooth no problems.But i did have an R46 with flat wheels a couple months ago.And the jamaica R32s are not that good. The pikin/207 st R32s are the good ones not the jamica R32s.

Yes i have ridden an r46 on tuesday and it pretty smooth no problems.But i did have an R46 with flat wheels a couple months ago.And the jamaica R32s are not that good. The pikin/207 st R32s are the good ones not the jamica R32s.

Don't argue with him about the R46. It's like arguing with your lunch.

Wait until the R46 are reefed and he'll calm down.

Archived